NHL-NHLPA Agree in Principle according to LA Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
The Messenger said:
"and a provision that will limit the salary of any single player to 20% of the team cap figure in any year,"

Thats new .. Never heard that before .. a cap on on individual salaries ..

If the Cap is $37 mil then the max any player can make in the NHL is $7.4 mil !!!!
There goes an extra $200K off of Lidstrom's contract.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
NYR1 said:
Anybody think this could get voted down by the PA? I guess we'll see how much these guys trust there executive committee like they were saying months ago if they dont approve it. Imagine if it got voted down.. talking about alienating and teasing hockey fans more.

Vote it down in order to achieve what? Another half year, or year of lost wages? They aren't winning this fight, its time they accept that.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Sometime in the next week or so, after the league and the NHL players association finalize terms on the next CBA, the details of the new entry-level salary cap will become public. At that point, the league will announce both how the draft lottery will unfold (with every team getting at least a theoretical shot at landing Crosby's rights) and when it will be held (perhaps as late as the first week in August).

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050706.wscrosby0706/BNStory/Sports

A theoretical shot=existing only in theory

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
So more and more reports are coming out that it is not a hard cap set at 54 % of league revenues (divided by 30) but linkage that guarantees 54 % of revenues to players meaning the hard cap will be higher than 54 %. Which would rationalize the odd and contradictory math present in many other articles. It makes sense as that was what the NHL was going for with the payroll range of 51-57% etc.

If we assume they are projecting $1.8 bil in revenues a $37 mil cap is about 62 % and the floor would probably be around 40-45% (perhaps on the the lower end to take into account revenue sharing monies that lower revenue teams will be able to push up their payrolls).

Also note that the one known as Eklund despite being "wrong" on nearly everything else in the deal was the first to mention the Free Agency dropping through the course of the CBA in this manner. So he scores one point anyways for finding a legitimate rumour.

Macman

May 15, 2004
A $850,000 rookie cap for FOUR years? That's a pretty significant kick in the teeth for the Crosbys and Ovechkins of the hockey world.

chiavsfan

Macman said:
A $850,000 rookie cap for FOUR years? That's a pretty significant kick in the teeth for the Crosbys and Ovechkins of the hockey world.

Crosby will have plenty of endorsement money if he plays up to his potential. Ovechkin and he will just have to play well to actually GASP "earn" their next contract

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Macman said:

Agreed. With a cap and all the rest, I am not sure why the league cares so much about such a significant rookie cap. One or two years is one thing, four years is quite another. To argue that some players (perhaps not Crosby) will not stay in Europe or go to Europe to play for more is pretty naive. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ovechkin stay; and why wouldn't he?

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Jeff Dahlia said:
There could be something very significant holding in the balance that is stopping or slowing down the process. Like a clause from the league that the NHLPA doesn't want to accept. A good and obvious example: 2004-05 salaries.

This leak to Elliott is essence could be a powerplay to back the players into a corner. Just speculation.....but at this point, that would be a smart move to force them PA over the threshold on an important issue that is causing a last minute impasse. Just imagine if the league were to come out and say that they were this close and the PA balked at the deal or backed off.

So you are saying the general public would be mad because the NHLPA didn't completely cave and bend to the owners demands... like honouring a contract that they expect the players to honour? I hope the general public would be a little smarter than that.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
No offense to the fine people at the LA Times. But i'm gonna wait till tsn or cbc announce it. Plus a press conference with either Gary or Bob would help me believe it's actually over.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
Best CBA in all of sports. Congrats to those than ran the PA of late along with Bettman and Daly for finally getting it right. If only Major League Baseball could follow suit. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
eye said:
Best CBA in all of sports. Congrats to those than ran the PA of late along with Bettman and Daly for finally getting it right. If only Major League Baseball could follow suit. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
ticker on the score:

NHLPA Spokesperson denies earlier report that new CBA has been reached

:amazed:

TSN: Lockout not over Yet

baldrick

Jul 1, 2005
JWI19 said:
No offense to the fine people at the LA Times. But i'm gonna wait till tsn or cbc announce it. Plus a press conference with either Gary or Bob would help me believe it's actually over.

Right! The SCORE has a headline with an NHLPA spokesperson DENYINY any angreement.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i'm not fond of the 4 years mandatory rookie deal...but i guess that wasn't terribly abnormal under the least CBA either

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
NYR1 said:
I think that the NHL should give the players the 04-05 contracts. The NHL has beaten the crap out of the PA in some aspects of this deal in the eyes of the players. To make ratification a bit easier it'd be nice for the PA to say well we got our asses kicked here but we got you this. The NHL wins the major parts of the war but the PA atleast brings something back to its players.
Then how do you handle the contracts of those players that were paid in part or in full for the 04/05 "season"? (injury clause)

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
sveiglar said:
TSN > LA Times

Does not shock me at all, I personally believe they will deny this story until its ratfied and then BANG a press conference will be held. The TSN story is from a "Source" in the NHLPA, I would like to see a quote from Daly or Saskin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->