NHL-NHLPA Agree in Principle according to LA Times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poddubny

Jul 5, 2005
On the Bench
flambers said:
Does not shock me at all, I personally believe they will deny this story until its ratfied and then BANG a press conference will be held. The TSN story is from a "Source" in the NHLPA, I would like to see a quote from Daly or Saskin.

We need BobMcKenzie to come in here and set us straight.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
the hockey media have been making complete morons of themselves over the lockout.

here is a concept, report things when you know its true

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
NYR1 said:
I think that the NHL should give the players the 04-05 contracts. The NHL has beaten the crap out of the PA in some aspects of this deal in the eyes of the players. To make ratification a bit easier it'd be nice for the PA to say well we got our asses kicked here but we got you this. The NHL wins the major parts of the war but the PA atleast brings something back to its players.

The players think they "deserve" somthing? The NHL should reward them
for ignoring the fiscal problems of the league and holding onto their idiotic
"no cap - ever" stance?
Here is the deal - sign it or go play in Mongolia...

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Add them to the list of news sources that have lost their credibility in this . . .

I think that the various parties are using the media to influence their positions with premature and down right wrong leaks. How many times have we seen this in the past? How many times have we seen competing and totally opposite leaks often within hours of one another. I take everything with a huge grain of salt these days, until I see Bettman and Co. stand up and announce it themselves.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Jaded-Fan said:
Add them to the list of news sources that have lost their credibility in this . . .

They already have done that back in February

djtino224

May 12, 2005
Long Island
I'm more inclined to believe that there is still some work to be done, even though I really don't know who to believe anymore. :dunno:

I hope that makes sense.

BobMckenzie

Jul 23, 2003
There's not much more I can say here that I didn't say on the tsn.ca story, which I wrote. The deal won't be done today, may not be done tomorrow and could be done on the weekend. It could also carry over to the beginning of next week.

I really think we're dealing with semantics here. The deal isn't done until it's all done and it's not all done. Having said that, I don't think anyone out there would dispute the notion that the league and the PA have agreed on most everything, if not everything, of importance in the deal. The lawyers are busy with language etc. I suppose you could make a case that the league and the PA have agreed in principle on all the key issues, but you can't say they have an actual agreement in principle becuase they haven't signed off on yet and until they do, they don't have a deal. It's like splitting hairs, but I'm guessing the people on these boards want to know when it's going to be official.

Yesterday, I went golfing. Today, I'm going to the cottage.

Do I look like the type of guy who would be leaving town on the day the deal is to be made official? Stand down, folks, but also understand all the heavy lifting on this thing looks as though it's completed and they are down to the i's and t's.

All I can add at this point is, a watched pot never boils. ;)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Holly Gunning said:
And I'll say that if the AP trusts the LA Times enough to run with this, that ought to be enough for almost everyone. They don't make many mistakes.

From the TSN article, both NHLPA and NHL officials quoted by name denying not only the report but giving specifically examples of the opposite being true (ie, the draft, etc):

"It's an inaccurate report," an NHLPA spokesman told TSN.

The league also denied the report, with vice-president of communications Bernadette Mansur telling the Canadian Press that the report was "simply not true."

Why supporting the original report so strongly in face of pretty strong evidence that it is wrong?

Holly Gunning

Mar 9, 2002
out and about
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
From the TSN article, both NHLPA and NHL officials quoted by name denying not only the report but giving specifically examples of the opposite being true (ie, the draft, etc):
You're jumping to conclusions that it was the spokespeople who said the draft would be held differently. It said "sources", which may or may not be the same ones as above. Probably not in fact.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Holly Gunning said:
You're jumping to conclusions that it was the spokespeople who said the draft would be held differently. It said "sources", which may or may not be the same ones as above. Probably not in fact.

That was the first time in this lockout that I saw a 'source' willing to be named. Nope, I have no clue if it was the same persons who as part of that denial gave out some of those examples of wrongness, but it is a logical assumption.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Here's the TSN take:

Lockout not settled yet

TSN.ca Staff
7/7/2005 9:42:39 AM

The NHL lockout continues to dwindle down to its final days and hours, but the new deal between the NHL and NHL Players' Association is not yet done, despite a report in the Los Angeles Times suggesting an agreement has been reached.

"It's an inaccurate report," an NHLPA spokesman told TSN.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
BobMckenzie said:
There's not much more I can say here that I didn't say on the tsn.ca story, which I wrote. The deal won't be done today, may not be done tomorrow and could be done on the weekend. It could also carry over to the beginning of next week.

I really think we're dealing with semantics here. The deal isn't done until it's all done and it's not all done. Having said that, I don't think anyone out there would dispute the notion that the league and the PA have agreed on most everything, if not everything, of importance in the deal. The lawyers are busy with language etc. I suppose you could make a case that the league and the PA have agreed in principle on all the key issues, but you can't say they have an actual agreement in principle becuase they haven't signed off on yet and until they do, they don't have a deal. It's like splitting hairs, but I'm guessing the people on these boards want to know when it's going to be official.

Do I look like the type of guy who would be leaving town on the day the deal is to be made official? Stand down, folks, but also understand all the heavy lifting on this thing looks as though it's completed and they are down to the i's and t's.

Hey Bob can you confirm any of the details in the LA Times report? Like the cap number, the no luxury tax, etc?

Thanks

Holly Gunning

Mar 9, 2002
out and about
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
That was the first time in this lockout that I saw a 'source' willing to be named. .... but it is a logical assumption.
No, and no again. We've seen many named sources, and no that's not a logical assumption based on the many sources Mr. McKenzie has.

I agree with Bob that this is mostly semantics. The league can deny publicly that they have an agreement in principle, because that's real fuzzy. That's how we get conflicting reports. No big deal really, not as much as everyone is making it out to be.

Helene's source says draft one way, Bob's says draft another, OK. Maybe they haven't decided yet.

What I don't like is people ganging up on ESPN and USAToday because they are simply picking up a wire story, which is based on an LA Times report. The LA Times is a pretty darn good newspaper (one I wish I could trade the Atlanta Journal-Constitution for), and Ms. Elliott is a HoF reporter. They don't deserve this abuse.

And I like Bob too.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
BobMckenzie said:

Personally, I'm not really interested to know when the deal will be done but rather what the details of that deal are. From your sense, can we consider the details reported in the L.A. Times story accurate?

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
BobMckenzie said:

Thanks for the update...........but I have to admitt I don't get the last line at all.

Of course we want to know when its done............. both sides have lost total respect for the fans. This saga just will not end.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Jaded-Fan said:

I think that the various parties are using the media to influence their positions with premature and down right wrong leaks. How many times have we seen this in the past? How many times have we seen competing and totally opposite leaks often within hours of one another. I take everything with a huge grain of salt these days, until I see Bettman and Co. stand up and announce it themselves.
From TSN

The Times reported some details of what it believes will be in the new accord. One of them was that when the NHL entry draft lottery is held to determine order of selection that every team will have an equal chance -- one in 30 -- of getting the first overall pick and the right to choose phenom Sidney Crosby.

Sources tell TSN that when the lottery is conducted, it will be a slightly weighted lottery, giving the teams that have performed poorly over the last three or four seasons a slightly better chance than those who have performed well.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=129820&hubName=nhl
Don't panic just yet TSN stated it will be "slightly weighted"

Your team still falls under the TSN definition of "performed poorly"

So lucky for you you still have that to be proud of, an hang on to.. !! :sarcasm:

NYR1724

Jul 6, 2004
New York, New York
barnburner said:
The players think they "deserve" somthing? The NHL should reward them
for ignoring the fiscal problems of the league and holding onto their idiotic
"no cap - ever" stance?
Here is the deal - sign it or go play in Mongolia...

This is supposed to be a partnership. Not an assasination, dont forget that once the dust settles its the players you cheer for, the players you love and the players you hate which you'll be watching on TV. Unless your one of those i'm not going to come back fans..

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Helene Elliott coming on Mojo 640

Helene Elliott is coming on Leafs Lunch on mojoradio.com sometime soon (I missed the exact time).

And I'm guessing she won't stiff the show... just a hunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->