NHL News/Notes XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It's probably just because we're basically eliminated from the playoffs but I really think they should just cancel the rest of the season. My vegas buddy gets really excited any time they mention the possibility of the season continuing and I'm like "...eh"

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
It's a month of prep for a handful of games, per NHL phased return. And then off for perhaps another 2-3 months for playoffs, "off season" until training camp.

My guess is they "scrap" the remaining scheduled games, and just do like a round robin with teams in division.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Central division

:laugh:

I feel like there would be so much material if she just looked at the history. With the border joke I thought for sure they'd go into the fact that the Avalanche and the Stars used to be in Canada.

Some easy jokes:

1) Nashville has no cup, non-traditional market
2) Minnesota's relocation history, Parise/Suter contracts, firing their GM <1 year, historically known for trap hockey...
3) Colorado used to be in Quebec, Lindros trade, "gifted" a cup, lucky trades, antics of Roy/Lemieux/Duchene, a penchant for Swedes...
4) St.Louis lost three straight SCF, unimpressive all-time leaders, shenanigans last year with the cup run...
5) Stars used to be in Minnesota, recent lack of success, 1999 controversy, Belfour, owner controversy...
6) Chicago has struggled recently, long history of failure, contracts of Toews/Seabrook, constantly trading players, firing Quenneville, "gifted" picks...
7) Jets relocation history (moved from Atlanta, folding of previous Winnipeg team), small market (no wifi jokes), lack of success, Laine controversies...

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
So Sharks wouldn't qualify for a potential 24 team playoffs and if they win the lottery the pick belongs to Ottawa.

200w.webp

Reactions: themelkman

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
FWIW, Leipsic is available. (But I doubt the Sharks would get him due to character issues)

Caps put him on waivers to terminate contract.

Moral of the story: don't speak/write ill on anyone. (Especially on social media - just one password away from being hacked)

Reactions: Reggae Shark

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
But they may allow all 31 teams to be involved in lottery. So the TB pick (which the Sharks have) could win.
I don't see them doing this, but that would be hilarious.

TB trades a first round pick for a guy, who before this year, was a career 4th liner, to make a playoff run, which never happens. Then the first round pick becomes first overall.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I don't see them doing this, but that would be hilarious.

TB trades a first round pick for a guy, who before this year, was a career 4th liner, to make a playoff run, which never happens. Then the first round pick becomes first overall.
If we were Edmonton or New Jersey id put money on it. However being San Jose I say zero chance even if the odds say 1%

Reactions: Sandisfan

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
LeBrun and others are reporting that the Return to Play committee is closing in on possible format for return - 24 teams. (The 7 teams who pretty much had/have no chance of making the playoffs won't participate.)

6 teams at four hubs. First off: 5-game round robin. Then best-of-3 playoff series for the bottom teams (with top teams getting a bye) to determine the final 4 teams per hub. Then best of seven series (rounds 2, 3). Final four teams would meet up in one hub, have conference finals and Stanley Cup final.

Teams would not be playing at their home arena. So Central teams might be playing in Vegas while Pacific teams play in Minnesota, or something.

The committee has been meeting multiple times this past week, as well as over the weekend. BOG meeting Monday.

Could also announce decision on draft.

Also have some CBA defined critical dates coming up that need to be addressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad