NHL News/Notes XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
BOG meeting this week in Georgia. Tuesday they're expected to vote on Seattle expansion. Should have an organization start date (so teams can start planning for expansion draft) this week as well. Alignment announcement also coming; sounds like Arizona will go to Central division and Seattle to Pacific.

HOOCH2173

That HOOCH is Crazy!
Nov 24, 2009
Lake Forest
hello seattle and good bye Arizona in the Pacific.

Dtlr9G_UcAIc_5C.jpg

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
That alignment makes things equal now. Guess cities like Houston and Quebec City will get their teams through expansion.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Do you mean re-location? I can’t see the NHL pushing up to 34 teams, but IDK.

If Houston is willing to pay 650 mil for a team then it'll be possible. QC is willing to throw out that much for it and that's going to be tough for the NHL to ignore. I'd like the league to get to 36 teams but that may take a while.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
so much for that Arizona/Vegas desert rivalry. The fact that Arizona is the team that moves tells me that they won't be there much longer anyway.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I wonder if Wisconsin would be a viable hockey market.

For whatever reason, I always imagine NHL hockey in relatively uncharted hockey waters like Wisconsin, Montana, Nebraska, Idaho, etc.

I was in Nebraska this summer and they have a sick arena that could totally fit an NHL team.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
For whatever reason, I always imagine NHL hockey in relatively uncharted hockey waters like Wisconsin, Montana, Nebraska, Idaho, etc.

I was in Nebraska this summer and they have a sick arena that could totally fit an NHL team.

I'm pretty sure that even if every Nebraskan bought a ticket, they still couldn't fill that arena.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I'm pretty sure that even if every Nebraskan bought a ticket, they still couldn't fill that arena.

:laugh:

For what it’s worth the arena is a quick walk across a bridge from Idaho. Maybe if you take every resident of Idaho, and add every Nebraskan, you’ll be able to sell out the lower bowl. :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, I don’t think Nebraska is actually a viable hockey market. Unlike Wisconsin, who might actually be able to pull it off, I don’t think that any of Montana, Idaho, and Nebraska could actually handle an NHL team. It’s just something that I’ve thought about when I’ve visited those places and an interesting concept.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I wonder if Wisconsin would be a viable hockey market.

Already is. A number of USHL teams in there. And AHL Milwaukee.

As for the NHL.... Need 2+ million metro area (preferably more) population, major metro airport, state of the art arena, good owner.

Milwaukee is only 94 miles from Chicago, which would mean that any NHL team there would have to pay the Blackhawks a territory indemnification fee (on TOP of any relocation or expansion fee).

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Mock expansion draft: What the Seattle NHL team might look...
(paywall)
Athletic mock expansion draft. Based on Kurz's list of exposed players (including Burns, Kane, etc.), a number of pundits made their selections.

EK9, LaBanc were the two players selected from the Sharks.

FWIW, the Sharks only have Jones, Vlasic, Burns, Kane, Couture and Hertl signed beyond 2021. There are perhaps 8 unsigned guys in the organizational depth chart that will probably be exempt in 2021 (not including the 2019 and 2020 draftees). A lot of the ELS-signed guys may just be finishing up their second pro season (like the CH twins). And there are a lot of guys that will have one or more contracts, be traded or not re-signed between now and then.

Real early in the process to make good selections.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Mock expansion draft: What the Seattle NHL team might look...
(paywall)
Athletic mock expansion draft. Based on Kurz's list of exposed players (including Burns, Kane, etc.), a number of pundits made their selections.

EK9, LaBanc were the two players selected from the Sharks.

FWIW, the Sharks only have Jones, Vlasic, Burns, Kane, Couture and Hertl signed beyond 2021. There are perhaps 8 unsigned guys in the organizational depth chart that will probably be exempt in 2021 (not including the 2019 and 2020 draftees). A lot of the ELS-signed guys may just be finishing up their second pro season (like the CH twins). And there are a lot of guys that will have one or more contracts, be traded or not re-signed between now and then.

Real early in the process to make good selections.

Their forwards look pretty bad overall. But man that defense is damn solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad