NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - PHASE NINE! Part ONE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
upload_2021-5-30_9-22-10.png

upload_2021-5-30_9-23-24.png

@JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
First, thank you all so much for the kind words. Rather than bother everyone with individual tags, this seemed prudent.

Long story short, we had to arrange everything for my fiancée to have emergency surgery. I'm overjoyed to report that it went extremely well. She has been discharged and is home resting comfortably. I'll get my make-up picks in today. Thank you all for bearing with me while I wasn't thinking about hockey at all.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
First, thank you all so much for the kind words. Rather than bother everyone with individual tags, this seemed prudent.

Long story short, we had to arrange everything for my fiancée to have emergency surgery. I'm overjoyed to report that it went extremely well. She has been discharged and is home resting comfortably. I'll get my make-up picks in today. Thank you all for bearing with me while I wasn't thinking about hockey at all.

Great news under the circumstances, Jojo. Please pass on our well wishes.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015

Sorry to hear she needed it, glad it all went ok.

Also, I found Buffalo Trace in a store a few days ago. There might be a bottle or two left if you're interested.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL

Glad she is doing well and welcome back to the asylum

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Don’t f*** with me, servers!

upload_2021-5-30_11-46-46.gif

upload_2021-5-30_11-47-11.gif

Hey yo, the NWO is here to reveal the official team motto of the Methgators, ain’t that right, big Kev?
upload_2021-5-30_11-47-31.gif

Damn straight, Scott, go ahead Hollywood, let the people in on it!
upload_2021-5-30_11-47-48.gif

Well let me tell ya something, BROTHERS!! You know, dude, the Jacksonville Methgators are the New World Order’s kind of team, BROTHER!! And our motto is:
THE JACKSONVILLE METHGATORS BABY, 4 LIFE!!!!

upload_2021-5-30_11-48-44.gif

VM: works for me DAMMIT!! Half our fanbase are serving life sentence!!

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
**This is a make-up pick from Phase Eight.**

While we respect the scientific and/or grandiose approaches our fellow franchises took to Team Historical Figure, the M.A.D. Cats will be taking a different route. What we need is someone who won't attempt to wrest control of the organization or openly threaten other franchises, as this is bad for business. We need a covert operative who can quietly help us steal everyone else's hard work. For this, we can think of no one better for the job than The Limping Lady Virginia Hall.

virginia-hal-photo-l2-703x1024_vert-f2abce71368c86585cb1bea74204cf87a606b6aa-s800-c85.jpg

A woman born to an affluent family in Baltimore in 1906 is quite an unlikely background for a legendary spy, but Hall was no ordinary person. She attended college at a time when only about 7% of American women did so. She then went abroad to study further and her love for Paris pushed her into multiple attempts to enter the American diplomatic community at a time when women made up only 0.004% of the diplomatic workforce. After many rejections, this led to her earning a clerical position at a U.S. consulate in Turkey. It was in Turkey where a hunting accident eventually resulted in the amputation of her left leg below the knee. Instead of allowing this to shut her down, she got back to work, bouncing around the State Department in clerical roles until the outset of WWII. With the Nazi invasion imminent, Hall quit, returned to France as a civilian, and became an ambulance driver for the French army. But it was after France's defeat where her career properly kicked off.

A chance impressive meeting with a British intelligence officer resulted in Hall being one of the first British spies sent into Nazi-occupied France despite her minimal training and missing limb. She leveraged every source of help available to her from living at a convent to establishing a pipeline of information from the owner of a brothel frequented by German officers. When she eventually found herself on the Gestapo radar, it was Klaus Barbie, "The Butcher of Lyon" who branded her "The Enemy's Most Dangerous Spy" and spearheaded the efforts to find her. Her retreat from France required an absurd three day, 50-mile walk over the Pyrenees Mountains in heavy snow with a 1940s prosthetic leg and ended with an arrest at the Spanish border when it was discovered she had no entrance stamp on her passport.

Hall was released after 6 weeks, but amazingly wanted to be re-inserted in France. The British refused, but now the American intelligence community wanted her services. She was already quite adept at disguising herself but because she was now so widely known, extra precautions had to be taken. The most extreme of these was having a dentist grind her teeth down to help her blend in with the locals. In her second stint as a spy in Nazi-occupied France, Hall grew her network to include more than 1,500 people. They were the ones coordinating the airdrops for the resistance and helping to reclaim villages much earlier than the Allied troops could advance.

There are conflicting sources for many of the unimportant details in Hall's story, as she herself never spoke about it or wanted any public acknowledgment of her work. Even when then-President Truman wanted to honor her at a ceremony at the White House, she instead chose to remain undercover. In private, she was honored by both the French and the British, including the only civilian woman to earn a Distinguished Service Cross during WWII. Hall eventually moved on to an office role with the CIA, but from all accounts didn't enjoy those years and for our purposes, we'll be ignoring them. The M.A.D. Cats would never miscast a talent like that to fit a rigid role.

@Captain Dave Poulin I realized that adding a bunch of picks in a row could cause me to snipe someone's writeup in process, which would not be fair to them at all. The best solution I could conjure for this was to add all four of my picks to the spreadsheet at once and I will get the writeups finished over the course of the day. Please confirm that I have 3 picks to make up this phase and I will get them added to the sheet.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
If there's one thing this season's NHL Outdoor Winter Earth Prime Classic proved, it's that Outdoor Winter Games are a big f***ing deal, and if there are two things this year's Classic Earth Prime Outside game proved, it's that Outside Winter Games are a big deal, and it's a super, duper idea to play on water, on actual water, on an actual lake. But that would get stale, so I am choosing someplace with three lakes I can use as rotating hosts - Lake Kussharo, Lake Shikotsu, and Lake Toya - in addition to the glorious city of Sapporo, where we will enjoy our hot cocoa and whatnot.

hero-img_blog_japan-rail-series-sapporo-1-2040x680.jpg

Team Outdoor Game Location - Hokkaido, Japan

@CanadianFlyer88

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
@Captain Dave Poulin I realized that adding a bunch of picks in a row could cause me to snipe someone's writeup in process, which would not be fair to them at all. The best solution I could conjure for this was to add all four of my picks to the spreadsheet at once and I will get the writeups finished over the course of the day. Please confirm that I have 3 picks to make up this phase and I will get them added to the sheet.

Yosh, three make-up picks in this one.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
**This is a make-up pick from Phase Eight.**

While we respect the scientific and/or grandiose approaches our fellow franchises took to Team Historical Figure, the M.A.D. Cats will be taking a different route. What we need is someone who won't attempt to wrest control of the organization or openly threaten other franchises, as this is bad for business. We need a covert operative who can quietly help us steal everyone else's hard work. For this, we can think of no one better for the job than The Limping Lady Virginia Hall.

virginia-hal-photo-l2-703x1024_vert-f2abce71368c86585cb1bea74204cf87a606b6aa-s800-c85.jpg

A woman born to an affluent family in Baltimore in 1906 is quite an unlikely background for a legendary spy, but Hall was no ordinary person. She attended college at a time when only about 7% of American women did so. She then went abroad to study further and her love for Paris pushed her into multiple attempts to enter the American diplomatic community at a time when women made up only 0.004% of the diplomatic workforce. After many rejections, this led to her earning a clerical position at a U.S. consulate in Turkey. It was in Turkey where a hunting accident eventually resulted in the amputation of her left leg below the knee. Instead of allowing this to shut her down, she got back to work, bouncing around the State Department in clerical roles until the outset of WWII. With the Nazi invasion imminent, Hall quit, returned to France as a civilian, and became an ambulance driver for the French army. But it was after France's defeat where her career properly kicked off.

A chance impressive meeting with a British intelligence officer resulted in Hall being one of the first British spies sent into Nazi-occupied France despite her minimal training and missing limb. She leveraged every source of help available to her from living at a convent to establishing a pipeline of information from the owner of a brothel frequented by German officers. When she eventually found herself on the Gestapo radar, it was Klaus Barbie, "The Butcher of Lyon" who branded her "The Enemy's Most Dangerous Spy" and spearheaded the efforts to find her. Her retreat from France required an absurd three day, 50-mile walk over the Pyrenees Mountains in heavy snow with a 1940s prosthetic leg and ended with an arrest at the Spanish border when it was discovered she had no entrance stamp on her passport.

Hall was released after 6 weeks, but amazingly wanted to be re-inserted in France. The British refused, but now the American intelligence community wanted her services. She was already quite adept at disguising herself but because she was now so widely known, extra precautions had to be taken. The most extreme of these was having a dentist grind her teeth down to help her blend in with the locals. In her second stint as a spy in Nazi-occupied France, Hall grew her network to include more than 1,500 people. They were the ones coordinating the airdrops for the resistance and helping to reclaim villages much earlier than the Allied troops could advance.

There are conflicting sources for many of the unimportant details in Hall's story, as she herself never spoke about it or wanted any public acknowledgment of her work. Even when then-President Truman wanted to honor her at a ceremony at the White House, she instead chose to remain undercover. In private, she was honored by both the French and the British, including the only civilian woman to earn a Distinguished Service Cross during WWII. Hall eventually moved on to an office role with the CIA, but from all accounts didn't enjoy those years and for our purposes, we'll be ignoring them. The M.A.D. Cats would never miscast a talent like that to fit a rigid role.

First, welcome back after what must have been a very scary and difficult time for you both. I'm very pleased and relieved to hear that your fiancée came through surgery well and is recovering. Hopefully the many messages -- and probably a ton of PMs -- here show how much you are appreciated and supported here.

Far far distant second, thanks for this gripping write-up. Great choice in selecting one of the many little-known individuals who put their lives at risk to support the Allies in WWII.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
In true M.A.D. Cats style, we'd like to use our Team Cheerleader as an angle shoot to bring another world-class athletic freak into the fold, one Terrell Owens.

[video]https://i.gifer.com/4oS4.mp4[/video]

@Captain Dave Poulin I added all of my picks to the spreadsheet. I'll get to the other two writeups shortly. Thank you again for your guidance.

It's a good thing I hadn't started my Malone write-up yet. :laugh:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
In true M.A.D. Cats style, we'd like to use our Team Cheerleader as an angle shoot to bring another world-class athletic freak into the fold, one Terrell Owens.

[video]https://i.gifer.com/4oS4.mp4[/video]

@Captain Dave Poulin I added all of my picks to the spreadsheet. I'll get to the other two writeups shortly. Thank you again for your guidance.

If only more people followed my guidance, there would be far less spite deficiency, and the world would be a much better place.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

Very good to hear, Jojo!

Scary times, but hopefully the road to recovery is short!

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I have had him tagged for selection for a couple of rounds and, like Leclair, I have scanned the selection list hundreds of times to ensure he hasn't been taken.

The final member of the LCB line to be drafted, he was an integral piece to the 1975 Flyers Cup team and won the Conn Smythe in 76 despite the Flyers loss to the Habs in the Final. He is one of 5 players from losing teams to win the Conn Smythe and the only non-goalie. He scored 61 goals in the regular season in 76, only to follow that up with 19 more (an NHL record) in 16 playoffs games.

He only hit 50 goals in a season one other time, in 79/80, and his career was plagued with inconsistency. But, at his peak, there were few in his generation better at making the puck hit the twine.

The Seattle Sockeyes are thrilled to select the original "Chief", more commonly known as the "Riverton Rifle", RW Reggie Leach.

cut.jpg

@pit, do the thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad