NHL Mega-Mock Draft Reboot - Discussion / Draft Thread - PHASE FIFTEEN! Part One!

Should Captain Dave Poulin delete the final season of "The Walking Dead" from his DVR without watchi

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I had nothing planned so I'm just going to... wing it.

Team Category Two - Team Bird

Lets see if you guys have learned anything.

@Rebels57 go ahead
1E1AABC4-FB49-4E8A-9B0A-0E382853214B.jpeg

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
FOG Team Non-WWII Battle Site

Korangal Valley

I'm picking this because of how incredibly moved I was by the documentary Restrepo. If you haven't seen it yet, it's a must. It's about the US Marines stationed in Korangal Valley and their years long (between 2004-2010) battle against Taliban Insurgents. Restrepo was the name of one of the many soldiers who were killed in action.

Korangal Valley campaign - Wikipedia.

Restrepo (film) - Wikipedia
Great pick

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'm starting to wonder which will end first - the Flyers season from Hell, or this migration.

animesher.com_free-iwatobi-swim-club-anime-boy-makoto-tachibana-1462525.gif

We start the day with @BiggE on the clock, @GKJ on deck, @CanadianFlyer88 on the lido deck, and MacGruber on the lido afterdeck.

I have 3/4ths of the categories set for the next phase - I just need my brother to give me the final three and I will get it up (phrasing) when we finish this phase. As always, it will take a while. The Supergroup 3 draft will take place after this one, concurrent with MIGHTY PHASE 17!

Just because we are (almost) finished picking categories doesn't mean that I don't want any more suggestions. Keep them coming whenever you think of them, but remember - we are basically taking "stuff" and people with us, so the categories shouldn't be too ... like ... "incorporeal," e.g. "hopes and dreams."

Last edited:

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL

upload_2022-3-9_8-57-14.gif
Are you ready?
NO, I SAID, ARE YOU READY!?!?!
Then, for the dozens paying attention to this thread and the millions disgusted by the shitgarbage that is Flyers hockey….
LETS GET READY TO SUCK IT!!!!!
upload_2022-3-9_8-58-23.gif

Ok, a game show for the Methgators? Hmm, what kind of trash bag show can represent the mouth breathing inbred trailer trash that are our proud fanbase?
upload_2022-3-9_8-58-49.gif

JUST READ THE DAMN CARD, DAMMIT!!!
upload_2022-3-9_8-59-7.gif

Ok pop, take a pill. The official game show of the Jacksonville Methgators is….THE GONG SHOW!!
upload_2022-3-9_8-59-28.gif

upload_2022-3-9_9-0-12.gif

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
@Hollywood Couturier I actually only need two more categories, not three.

By the way, I thought of a scrumptious f***ing idea a few days ago, but I'm holding it for MIGHTY PHASE 17! so keep your pants on and jacket, though that sounds unnecessarily convoluted.
I never thought it was three or did I miss something?

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
My reverse heartbreak sports moment is game 7 of the AHL Eastern Conference Finals.

Hershey beat Portland 5-4 in overtime. They were down by one late in the third, then Graham Mink (one of my all time favorite Bears) tied the game with about two minutes left and Eric Fehr won it about halfway into ot. Still the best hockey game I've ever been to, and the Bears went on to win the Calder Cup a couple weeks later.

But there is a little bit of buildup to the end. Portland had home game advantage, but because of scheduling issues game 7 was played in Hershey, so it was a weird 2-2-2-1 series. Those two teams hated each other and I remember Shane O'Brien and Zenon Konopka of Portland getting into verbal altercations with fans in Hershey. Physical series and a fair amount of fighting for so late in the playoffs. Hershey actually went up 3-1 in the series but lost games 5 and 6 in Portland. And right before game 7, Anaheim (who was Portland's affiliate) got eliminated and sent down Getzlaf, Perry, and Dustin Penner (who had scored at something at like a 1.5 ppg pace in the AHL that year) to Portland. So the cards were stacked against the Bears, and they fell behind a few times in game 7, but ultimately they pulled through in the most thrilling hockey game I've ever been to. If I could relive any sporting event it would definitely be this one.

The whole game is actually on YouTube if you want to spend 2.5 hours watching a 16 year old AHL game. In any case, Fehr's overtime goal is on there too.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
@Hollywood Couturier, some time back I mentioned a bad experience I had with Skip the Dishes and you hadn't heard of it.

Recently, this commercial has been running, so I assumed Skip was in the US now:

Apparently Skip used to be in the US in some mid-market cities but they bailed on the US and gave there restaurant directory to Grub Hub.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Make up pick:

The Songhai Empire had been a force in western Africa for over a century, and was still large and powerful in 1591. Morocco was suffering due to conflict with the Portugese. Though illegal to invade another Islamic country, Moroccan forces marched south on the larger, stronger Songhai empire to try to capture gold mines they erroneously believed to be present. They met at Tondibi in Mali.

The Moroccans numbered a paltry 1,500 light cavalry and 3,000 infantry, although 2,500 of the infantry carried arquebuses, a technology the Songhai army lacked. To make up for this, they fielded 9,700 infantry and 12,500 cavalry.

And 1,000 cows.

In order to protect their infantry advance from the Moroccan firearms, the Songhai stampeded the cows towards the Moroccan lines. This was a grave error. As why would cows continue to run towards gunfire?

As the cows were almost immediately routed, they charged back into the Songhai lines, with the infantry continuing to advance. The result of the sudden betrayal by their bovine allies coupled with fire from the Moroccans resulted in the decimation of the Songhai infantry. Moroccan cavalry were able to hold back the Songhai cavalry charge long enough for the arquebus and canon to be brought to bear, and the Songhai military was soundly defeated. The Moroccans would subsequently plunder the cities of the empire, which collapsed due to this stunning defeat.

The moral of the story: Never trust cows.

Team Non-WWII Battle: Battle of Tondibi, 1591

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad