NHL is damaging its reputation with useless ASG and missing Olympics

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
We had best on best long-before the Olympics. Why not have it in September so it doesn't stop the season mid-year, and is on at times consistently in the two markets the NHL focuses on. Its ridiculous for contending teams having players risk injury before the final stretch of regular season or having their starting goalies eat up extra games during a condensed tournament when significant playoff revenues are on the line.

Why pad the pockets of corrupt IOC members, and help the IIHF who have been dicks about paying for reasonable demands.
This is only a problem when the American entertainment industry gets involved. Real sports leagues with actual relegation if you perform badly have no problems sending off their best players to participate in international games several times a year.

Messi is earning $111m a year, which is more than the entire budget of an NHL team, yet you don't hear Barcelona whine and cry about the possibilites him being injured representing his country.

Same thing in basketball. The US sends a joke team with no NBA players during international competition.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This is only a problem when the American entertainment industry gets involved. Real sports leagues with actual relegation if you perform badly have no problems sending off their best players to participate in international games several times a year.

Messi is earning $111m a year, which is more than the entire budget of an NHL team, yet you don't hear Barcelona whine and cry about the possibilites him being injured representing his country.

Same thing in basketball. The US sends a joke team with no NBA players during international competition.
European clubs are extremely pissed off about the Qatar World Cup and having it with a substantial break mid-season. Fifa did all it could to undermine UEFA and clubs banding togeather. Fifa is so corrupt, that I don't think they are a great example. I think I'll prefer North American professional leagues over the blatant corruption of groups like the IOC and Fifa. I see a way bigger problem with international sports bodies than the American entertainment industry. Fifa/IOC are empored by countries with corrupt leadership and extreme cronyism (look at what nations Blatter derived his power from).

Last edited:
Reactions: canuckster19

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
''Olympics aren't superior to the NHL''
I am rightly mad at you for this very stupid statement you seem to think is true. The NHL is not the best it could be, but it is the best league we're offered. They hamper their coaching market by employing only NA coaches that ''coach the right way'' for absolutely no reason at all outside of ''we have always done it this way and we won't change because it clearly works'', they don't give a **** if a players get hit by unnecessary hits like Lindgren on Donskoi, (3rd man in, no time for the player to brace himself at all and no suspension to the hitter despite clear head contact immediately on impact), the teams' talent pools are distributed all around the league in soon-to-be 32 teams and 4th line plugs play on every team as if it was a rule, the long season of 82 games makes a huge amount of games a battle of 2 tired teams and the on-ice performance is impacted greatly as a result.

The Olympics aren't perfect but if the NHL is not going to create a true best on best tournament in any form, I am not going to just accept it, and I will comment on it being a ****ing shameless cash grab that the World Cup was and will be in the future.

Yikes, you really have some serious issues with the NHL. I'll admit it's not perfect, and you make some valid points. As a Finnish fan, I would expect you to prefer international play. Congrats on your recent success, by the way.

But many hockey fans disagree with you. The NHL playoffs are more exciting than the Olympics, in my opinion. For most top NA players winning a Stanley Cup is the ultimate goal, and international play is a nice bonus. However, for guys playing in other leagues that is different. That's why a Finnish team of non NHL players can win a world championship even though they aren't as talented on paper. Also, the teams only practice together a few times before the Olympics so the teamwork is not at the same level of pro leagues.

I get it, you are a proud European and you can prefer international play if you want to. But you should be angry at the Olympic committee, not the NHL for taking away NHL players in the Olympics.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
European clubs are extremely pissed off about the Qatar World Cup and having it with a substantial break mid-season. Fifa did all it could to undermine UEFA and clubs banding togeather. Fifa is so corrupt, that I don't think they are a great example. I think I'll prefer North American professional leagues over the blatant corruption of groups like the IOC and Fifa. I see a way bigger problem with international sports bodies than the American entertainment industry. Fifa/IOC are empored by countries with corrupt leadership and extreme cronyism (look at what nations Blatter derived his power from).
Sure, FIFA and IOC are corrupt bastards, I say nothing against that. Still, the clubs accept that there is international competition in favour of the actual sport. Even if the World Cup is during the off season, there are still the qualifiers for both the continental cup and the world cup. On top of that, you have the friendlies.

And I'm not just taking about football here, it's the same thing in practically all sports EXCEPT the leagues tied to the American entertainment industry, who feel their "product" has nothing to do with the actual sport they earn money from. The NHL and NBA aren't the norm, they're the extreme deviations. Unfortunately for hockey, the NHL basically has a monopoly on the sport, holding it by the balls.

And considering the World Cup in Qatar of all countries, the tournament is almost a month. If the NHL would have to close down close to a month because of international competition, they would have a collective aneurysm. Meanwhile they have no problems shutting down the league seasons at a time to argue about wage percentages.

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017

Everyone is upset with Qatar 2020 because playing football in the Middle-Eastern summer is bonkers. Clubs do have regular international-breaks during seasons, and it works pretty well.

I think the resentment against sending NHLers to the Olympics from North-Americans is that they are afraid either the US or Canadian team will flop. Would be embarrasing to lose out in the only wintersport where they have a chance at gold.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Yeah, so I was just in the girls room and all the talk is about how the NHL is sooooo grossssss for having an ASG and not going to the Opympics. Like wtf, why can’t they just do whatever I want them to do?

Reputation like totally ruined.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Players are lazy and want to go on mid-winter benders so they like the ASG break.

The Olympics are stupid anyway, they got that one right.

The real damage the NHL is doing is jamming ads onto every inch of the boards, glass, front rows of arenas, surface of play, during all breaks of play on broadcasts, etc. That has destroyed the aesthetic of the game and they need a clean aesthetic as part of the presentation more than any other competitor sport because hockey is harder to follow for viewers.
So are you ok with their jerseys being covered in ads? How about going the NFL route and having way too many tv stoppages? What companies they show on the boards is the least of their problems.

Reactions: Voight

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017
We had best on best long-before the Olympics. Why not have it in September so it doesn't stop the season mid-year, and is on at times consistently in the two markets the NHL focuses on. Its ridiculous for contending teams having players risk injury before the final stretch of regular season or having their starting goalies eat up extra games during a condensed tournament when significant playoff revenues are on the line.

Why pad the pockets of corrupt IOC members, and help the IIHF who have been dicks about paying for reasonable demands.

Is there a difference in having star-players getting injured in a regular-season game vs Detroit or Ottawa before the ploffs vs in the Olympics?

Reactions: Voight

The Lemonheads

Peanut Gallery
Feb 2, 2010
Toronto
The amount of players refusing to participate in the ASG is becoming pretty overwhelming.

It’s absolutely obvious there’s very few people desiring to watch Kreider vs Bertuzzi vs Tkachuk figure skating with sticks while most fans suffer without real hockey for almost 10 days.

Now, what every hockey fan in the world is waiting for is the best on best Olympics hockey.

The ratings in the USA were amazing for Russia vs USA game despite the early game start.

The NHL needs to abolish the All Star Game whatsoever and replace it with true ASG happening once in four years.

The ASG is for jokes. Are you aware of this? I haven't seen one since I was like 11.

You haven't changed since the other section closed, ViD. Right over your head.

I think the only thing I remember about any ASG was Owen Nolen vs Hasek for a hat-trick in SJ.

With the point, and the laser, and the ping, lol. It's jokes! People are so miserable. It's beyond an exhibition.

Enjoy the 10 break for our teams. A lot of us need it.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Is there a difference in having star-players getting injured in a regular-season game vs Detroit or Ottawa before the ploffs vs in the Olympics?
Yes, because they are playing for the interests of your team. You know, the one that pays them. Pretty clear difference. Why do I want William Nylander risking injury for a team I don't cheer for? or Matthews? Why do I want Andersen playing 5 extra games mid-year for Denmark? Their salary is derived primarily due to the revenue's the Leafs make.

Everyone is upset with Qatar 2020 because playing football in the Middle-Eastern summer is bonkers. Clubs do have regular international-breaks during seasons, and it works pretty well.

I think the resentment against sending NHLers to the Olympics from North-Americans is that they are afraid either the US or Canadian team will flop. Would be embarrasing to lose out in the only wintersport where they have a chance at gold.
Yeah, it is not like Canadians and American's rack up medals in other winter sports....... I mean, Canada and the United States only won 20 combined golds at the last one. I don't care, because don't want the season interrupted. I also don't really care about nationalistic pride.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Sure, FIFA and IOC are corrupt bastards, I say nothing against that. Still, the clubs accept that there is international competition in favour of the actual sport. Even if the World Cup is during the off season, there are still the qualifiers for both the continental cup and the world cup. On top of that, you have the friendlies.

And I'm not just taking about football here, it's the same thing in practically all sports EXCEPT the leagues tied to the American entertainment industry, who feel their "product" has nothing to do with the actual sport they earn money from. The NHL and NBA aren't the norm, they're the extreme deviations. Unfortunately for hockey, the NHL basically has a monopoly on the sport, holding it by the balls.

And considering the World Cup in Qatar of all countries, the tournament is almost a month. If the NHL would have to close down close to a month because of international competition, they would have a collective aneurysm. Meanwhile they have no problems shutting down the league seasons at a time to argue about wage percentages.
They have a problem paying for players to go to an event they have seen no economic benefit from. The sports you talk about originate as sports with international competition. All North American sports primarily developed with one dominant nation Canada for Hockey, and Basketball, Football, and Baseball for the United States. The primary competition for all sports has historically been the league championships, not international competition. I mean, the NHL existed for 50 something years before any major international hockey event took place.

The NHL is a private business with owners. They have no obligation outside of acting in the interests of their product. You aren't conscripted to play in or watch the NHL. If players don't like it, they can play for less in a league that will allow them to play in IIHF events. If fans don't like it, they can not watch or support the product and hope their support can create a viable other league.

Reactions: Petrouth

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Its also about the players.... who want nothing more than to represent their country while the entire world is watching.

The problem with the World Cup is that the NHL runs it. They end up doing stupid stuff like a U23 team and European team, instead of having actual countries play. Thats what makes the Olympics good - the big 6 usually make it and then they will have qualifying tournaments so teams like Kazakhstan & Germany have chances to make the Olympics as well.

Whats ironic as hell too is that it was Hockey Canada & the NHLPA that started the Canada/World Cup. Should have kept it that way.

The Olympics is the only true best on best hockey tournament in the world.

:huh: the US team is usually pretty stacked at summer basketball events. Last year as an anomaly when a ton fo guys dropped out but every item prior they had plenty of elite players, most of them usually go to the Olympics and FIBA World Cup, sometimes the FIBA championship.

2022 WC was moved to December FYI, hence how it interrupts FIFA's clubs.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Its also about the players.... who want nothing more than to represent their country while the entire world is watching.

The problem with the World Cup is that the NHL runs it. They end up doing stupid stuff like a U23 team and European team, instead of having actual countries play. Thats what makes the Olympics good - the big 6 usually make it and then they will have qualifying tournaments so teams like Kazakhstan & Germany have chances to make the Olympics as well.

Whats ironic as hell too is that it was Hockey Canada & the NHLPA that started the Canada/World Cup. Should have kept it that way.
The players want it so bad they aren't willing to trade anything of value in collective bargaining for it. To the bolded, they clearly want something more, which is their current NHL salaries. You aren't conscripted to play in the NHL. If what they wanted most was to represent their countries they would play for lesser salaries in other leagues.

The Canada cups were fine, and it doesn't interrupt the season.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
They have a problem paying for players to go to an event they have seen no economic benefit from. The sports you talk about originate as sports with international competition. All North American sports primarily developed with one dominant nation Canada for Hockey, and Basketball, Football, and Baseball for the United States. The primary competition for all sports has historically been the league championships, not international competition. I mean, the NHL existed for 50 something years before any major international hockey event took place.

The NHL is a private business with owners. They have no obligation outside of acting in the interests of their product. You aren't conscripted to play in or watch the NHL. If players don't like it, they can play for less in a league that will allow them to play in IIHF events. If fans don't like it, they can not watch or support the product and hope their support can create a viable other league.
I know perfectly well how the entertainment industry reasons and works. You don't need to explain that part. As you say, they sell an entertainment product. That product happens to be a sport, hockey in this case. The sport in itself is of absolutely no interest to them. If they would earn more money paying people to wear pink leotards and juggle with kittens for 60 minutes, they would do it and scrap hockey altogether.

That doesn't mean I like that the biggest "league" in hockey is in the hands of the very cynical, corporate America. Not even in the slightest. It's terrible for hockey in itself. Basketball doesn't have the same problem to the same extent, as basketball worldwide is a lot bigger sport. Neither is football suffering because of MLS, not even a bit. But world hockey being dictated by the selfish interests of NHL alone, because their wallets are infinitely bigger than the other leagues combined? That is a huge problem.

Speaking of conscription. What do you call the draft then? It's in the name! The players are conscripts. Well paid conscripts. Either you accept to play for the team that picks you if you want to play in the NHL, which you as a player can do nothing about. Your only choice is to refuse to come over for half a decade, while you will hear infinite whining how "unprofessional" and how bad of a person you are, from both fans and owners.

The NHL is serving the next year of world talent on a platter and they take turns draining the other leagues of their best and most promising talent. In return the real hockey clubs receive coffee money, with the threats of "I give you an answer you cannot refuse. No really, you can't refuse. Either you take our coffee money or you get nothing."

The NHL is an imperialistic cartel, which pretends to be capitalist and competitive. Of course they don't care they're sucking the sport dry.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I know perfectly well how the entertainment industry reasons and works. You don't need to explain that part. As you say, they sell an entertainment product. That product happens to be a sport, hockey in this case. The sport in itself is of absolutely no interest to them. If they would earn more money paying people to wear pink leotards and juggle with kittens for 60 minutes, they would do it and scrap hockey altogether.

That doesn't mean I like that the biggest "league" in hockey is in the hands of the very cynical, corporate America. Not even in the slightest. It's terrible for hockey in itself. Basketball doesn't have the same problem to the same extent, as basketball worldwide is a lot bigger sport. Neither is football suffering because of MLS, not even a bit. But world hockey being dictated by the selfish interests of NHL alone, because their wallets are infinitely bigger than the other leagues combined? That is a huge problem.
I'd rather it be in the hands of corporate America than organizations like Fifa, Oil-Shieks (from countries with horrific human rights records), Russian Oligarchs and corrupt international bodies like Soccer is.

The biggest competition in hockey has always been the Stanley Cup, not international events.

The NHL sees no return on sending players to the Olympics, and the players seem to not be willing to give up anything of value to make it happen. So, it isn't just ownership greed. What do you think the players would say if the NHL said fine, you can go, but instead of a 50/50 revenue split, it becomes 52/48 in the NHL's favor? You know what would happen? All these players who people are claiming want nothing more than to play for their international teams will choose not to go to the Olympics and take the 50/50 split.

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
I'd rather it be in the hands of corporate America than organizations like Fifa, Oil-Shieks (from countries with horrific human rights records), Russian Oligarchs and corrupt international bodies like Soccer is.

The biggest competition in hockey has always been the Stanley Cup, not international events.

The NHL sees no return on sending players to the Olympics, and the players seem to not be willing to give up anything of value to make it happen. So, it isn't just ownership greed. What do you think the players would say if the NHL said fine, you can go, but instead of a 50/50 revenue split, it becomes 52/48 in the NHL's favor? You know what would happen? All these players who people are claiming want nothing more than to play for their international teams will choose not to go to the Olympics and take the 50/50 split.
They players don't make money from the olympics?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
They players don't make money from the olympics?
Nothing of note. At best they have a moment and they will get long-term endorsements out of it. It doesn't really matter for Crosby, because he had great ones, to begin with, but someone like Paul Henderson will get paid invites to fundraisers and such forever due to his moment.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Speaking of conscription. What do you call the draft then? It's in the name! The players are conscripts. Well paid conscripts. Either you accept to play for the team that picks you if you want to play in the NHL, which you as a player can do nothing about. Your only choice is to refuse to come over for half a decade, while you will hear infinite whining how "unprofessional" and how bad of a person you are, from both fans and owners.
Conscription is a mandated service. You don't have to play in the NHL. You have options. You aren't enlisted into the NHL with no choice. If you get conscripted into something, you have to do it, with fear of actual punishment. There is no punishment for not taking a job in the NHL. You just can't work in the NHL. That isn't conscription.

Reactions: Petrouth

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017
Yes, because they are playing for the interests of your team. You know, the one that pays them. Pretty clear difference. Why do I want William Nylander risking injury for a team I don't cheer for? or Matthews? Why do I want Andersen playing 5 extra games mid-year for Denmark? Their salary is derived primarily due to the revenue's the Leafs make.

Yeah, it is not like Canadians and American's rack up medals in other winter sports....... I mean, Canada and the United States only won 20 combined golds at the last one. I don't care, because don't want the season interrupted. I also don't really care about nationalistic pride.

Interests of your team? If the NHL-teams are entertainment-businesses looking to maximize profits, wouldn't it actually make more financial sense to have players injured outside of league-games? I mean; if Nylander gets injured in the Olympics i doubt the Leafs insurance-thingy would cover the costs of that.

And speaking of "wanting Andersen to play 5 extra games for Denmark". Im guessing some sort of Danish hockey-federation/club has spent some money on his development, before he got conscripted by the NHL. Shouldnt their interests matter as well?

The last point is the perk of monopolizing a sport tho. Free reigns woho.

And 20 gold-medals? Thats pretty bad for such huge countries tbh. Would expect more.

But, on a side-note: I have an idea on how to fix the All-star game!
What if, by chance, the all-star game becomes an event held every 4 years, where the best of the best meet for some hockey games? Id watch that.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
The All Star Game is a marketing gimmick for casual fans. It is not meant for you.
Well if it is for casual fans, why aren't those casual fans sticking with the sport after it? Doesn't that kind of defeat the whole purpose of the event, alienate your fanbase while not generating any new fans in the process?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Interests of your team? If the NHL-teams are entertainment-businesses looking to maximize profits, wouldn't it actually make more financial sense to have players injured outside of league-games? I mean; if Nylander gets injured in the Olympics i doubt the Leafs insurance-thingy would cover the costs of that.

And speaking of "wanting Andersen to play 5 extra games for Denmark". Im guessing some sort of Danish hockey-federation/club has spent some money on his development, before he got conscripted by the NHL. Shouldnt their interests matter as well?

The last point is the perk of monopolizing a sport tho. Free reigns woho.

And 20 gold-medals? Thats pretty bad for such huge countries tbh. Would expect more.

But, on a side-note: I have an idea on how to fix the All-star game!
What if, by chance, the all-star game becomes an event held every 4 years, where the best of the best meet for some hockey games? Id watch that.
Your point about injuries outside of league play is ridiculous. Having your best players helps you make the playoffs. Going further in the playoffs makes you more money due to players' salaries being completely paid by game 82. Therefore playoff games are the most profitable to an organization. And, a big dispute was who had to pay for insurance.

Yeah, those countries finished 3rd and 4th respectively in 2018 in gold medals. So you expect a nation the size of Canada to consistently finish above 3rd in gold medals at the Winter Olympics. I mean, France and Russia have way more people and finished with less. I don't even know how you arrived at your conclusion that Canada and the USA don't do well at the Winter Olympics when they both consistently finish top 5 in Golds or total medals.

You really don't understand the term conscripted. Freddie Andersen chose to come over here and sign a contract because that is where the money is. And, no. The Danish federation's interests shouldn't outweigh his primary employer. As stated, if players wanted to go so bad, they would trade something in the CBA for it, but guess what, they won't trade anything for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad