OT: NHL inks 7 year deal with ESPN

Are you happy we are back to ESPN?

• Total voters

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
Double what nbc pays for the whole tv package. Plus the nhl has the other half of the tv package to shop around with.
Fox and CBS are expected to bid on the other half of tv rights.
I get that it is a lot more than what NBC paid. It just seems low to me considering other TV deals with pro sports. I would think that the NHL has grown more than that but truthfully I have no factual reasons to believe that.

Plus, outside of work I mostly interact with other hockey people so my viewpoint is probably skewed.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I get that it is a lot more than what NBC paid. It just seems low to me considering other TV deals with pro sports. I would think that the NHL has grown more than that but truthfully I have no factual reasons to believe that.

Plus, outside of work I mostly interact with other hockey people so my viewpoint is probably skewed.
Still the fourth sport. Big 3 and then hockey.

Muffinalt

Mar 1, 2016
Hungary
Wouldn't this mean a cap increase?

I remember the huge nba cap boom when their new tv deal was announced, though to be fair that was insane and unsustainable, and f***ed a lot of teams eventually lol.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Wouldn't this mean a cap increase?

I remember the huge nba cap boom when their new tv deal was announced, though to be fair that was insane and unsustainable, and f***ed a lot of teams eventually lol.
Yes, though maybe not for next season due to Covid f***ing things up.

Long term (say 3-4 years from now), you could certainly see a $6m or so increase on the cap. Maybe more depending on what the other contract from TBD looks like.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I remember people arguing with me (not on our Hawks board but other threads) when I said the tv deal will double. It most certainly did and we arent done yet with another network still getting games as well.

We will never be the revenue streams that NFL and NBA are but this is going to build up the cap a lot in the next 2 years. Fans and players should be happy over these figures so far.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

If I have this correct

So if Hawks get good again there is potential for a dozen or more Hawk games to be unavailable to fans if they are chosen to be on Hulu/ESPN+ exclusive

No local broadcasts ,, That would be potentially terrible and is another reason this deal is not all that great

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
Sweet, I can finally watch national broadcasts instead of them being blacked out and it only costs me $5 a month instead of $120+ for a cable package.

Reactions: ClydeLee

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014

If I have this correct

So if Hawks get good again there is potential for a dozen or more Hawk games to be unavailable to fans if they are chosen to be on Hulu/ESPN+ exclusive

No local broadcasts ,, That would be potentially terrible and is another reason this deal is not all that great

So it's going to be like the Thursday night NFL games that you have to dig around to figure out which network has the game this time. Is it on Amazon.com, NFL.com, or for some reason, the local Fox/CBS affiliate. Then they wonder why the ratings are inconsistent.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
So it's going to be like the Thursday night NFL games that you have to dig around to figure out which network has the game this time. Is it on Amazon.com, NFL.com, or for some reason, the local Fox/CBS affiliate. Then they wonder why the ratings are inconsistent.

The reason those games are on local Fox/CBS affiliate is for teams involved fans to watch

Under this ESPN deal that is not option with Hawk games that are exclusive to Hulu/ESPN+.. Fans in market who dont have Hulu/ESPN+ will be unable to watch games

On NBCSN games are blacked out locally but still available to watch on local affiliate. With the ESPN+/HULU exclusive games that will not be option and you will be unable to watch Hawks

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
The complaint is people who still have cable and not a streaming service like hulu, which is continually srinking each year will miss out.

Yet that's the market that impacts the now and future. More and more. Hulu has 39 million paid subscribers, that expands to so many more shared homes and users.

Sites say cable/satellite makes up 77 mil now. And this seems to change around 4 mil a year. There is more room for growth by numerous ways and reasons in this model.

Reactions: jls24

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Just pirate it at that point

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Bettman says cap willmore than likely be flat for the next 4 years.
My fear has been no other major sport is more dependant on ticket sales than hockey. No fans in seats for almost 2 years now probably has league executives holding tight cap wise. It will go up, these tv deals assure that but right now so much uncertainty out there he is just playing it safe right now IMO.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
feel like timing will matter a lot here...who will be a good team the next 7 years that can drive the casual fan interest...put prime hawks, la, pens and caps on espn during the cup runs and it does wonders for the league...if the rangers figure it out then that would be interesting to see because espn cant really get behind the knicks atm, league need the hawks back in the mix...a team usa gold medal at the next winter olympics could also set the league up nicely to capitalize on the espn deal

Last edited:
Reactions: Muffinalt

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Yes, though maybe not for next season due to Covid f***ing things up.

Long term (say 3-4 years from now), you could certainly see a $6m or so increase on the cap. Maybe more depending on what the other contract from TBD looks like.

I´d like to be optimistic and say we could possibly see a 1-1.5M increase next year. That´s just MHO.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
The NHL has to make a lot of money for the cap to go up, it's not going up.

its better for the league to build in the expectation that the cap is going nowhere because they'd probably rather have teams build their rosters assuming no cap increase than have another situation where they say 'oh the cap is going up to 90m within 2-3 years' like when Toews and Kane signed then have it go nowhere basically until LV entered the league because the price of oil went south...its unlikely its flat for more than a year or two max, once they can full buildings again they should be in a better situation to build expectation for cap growth, so maybe 2022-2023 season, next year will probably be limited capacity in a few major cities

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
its better for the league to build in the expectation that the cap is going nowhere because they'd probably rather have teams build their rosters assuming no cap increase than have another situation where they say 'oh the cap is going up to 90m within 2-3 years' like when Toews and Kane signed then have it go nowhere basically until LV entered the league because the price of oil went south...its unlikely its flat for more than a year or two max, once they can fill buildings again they should be in a better situation to build expectation for cap growth, so maybe 2022-2023 season, next year will probably be limited capacity in a few major cities
Right, I could see it go up after next year, but not next year. Sorry, that's what I meant by it's not going up. (referring to next year)

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad