Are you happy we are back to ESPN?

• Total voters

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
ESPN has hired Mark Messier to be studio analyst

Not a fan of this move to be honest

Never cared for Messier (He was disaster in Vancouver on and off the ice) and dont feel he is best voice to talk about today's game and today's NHL

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
It's a name hire. If thr coverage is gonna be Milburry/Jones level bad still it helps presumably if that guy is someone a big market, New York should have some knowledge of.

Drumman44

Kyle Beach Deserved Better
May 2, 2017
I can't even remember the last time I heard Messier speak in any context, but my immediate reaction/memory of him is that he is about as bland and boring as it gets.

There's another level

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
Not sure if he has any interest, but i think Luongo would be an interesting guy to have involved in some way. Very entertaining interviewee, not sure if it would translate but id like to see it.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Not sure if he has any interest, but i think Luongo would be an interesting guy to have involved in some way. Very entertaining interviewee, not sure if it would translate but id like to see it.

I’d figure if he had any interest he’d sign with a Canadian company. I’d love to see him pick up a gig. He seems really fully and witty.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
I’d figure if he had any interest he’d sign with a Canadian company. I’d love to see him pick up a gig. He seems really fully and witty.
I hated him when the hawks were playing vancouver every year in the playoffs, but then he really grew on me

Reactions: RayP

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
ESPN has hired Mark Messier to be studio analyst

Not a fan of this move to be honest

Never cared for Messier (He was disaster in Vancouver on and off the ice) and dont feel he is best voice to talk about today's game and today's NHL

I was at the 2010 Bronze medal game in Vancouver between Slovakia-Finland and during a TV timeout or intermission there was an interview blasted on the jumbotron featuring the Moose.

To say there were booes doesn't do it justice. And I was at the Swiss-USA game where Jack Johnson was mercilessly jeered whenever he touched the puck (apparently 2006 WJC hit on Steve Downie and Canuck faithful never forgot).

So yes. He was a disaster.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
ESPN just awarded Patrick Kane the ESPY for best NHL player, which is a pretty good sign of how little they pay attention to or understand the game.
Isn't part of it a fan vote?

So ESPN viewers, who are American, are more familiar with the star of the Chicago Blackhawks than guys who play for Edmonton or Tampa.

It's almost like Chicago is one of the premiere hockey markets in America.

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
None of the announced analysts for ESPN and TNT have been very exciting so far. Get some younger, recently retired analysts. Some of the best interviews and analysis I have seen over the last year has been from guys like Keven Bieksa, Colby Armstrong, Bissonette and Whitney, and even Sharp when he loosens up a little. Someone mentioned Versteeg as a Hawks studio analyst and that is the type of hire I want to see. Sure, they might be a little silly at times but the energy is needed. Find the NHL equivalent of Tony Romo rather than going with the stuffy, conservative Canadians like Gretzky and Messier. And those guys don't resonate with people in their 20s and 30s anyways.

Reactions: Mrfenn92 and RayP

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Isn't part of it a fan vote?

So ESPN viewers, who are American, are more familiar with the star of the Chicago Blackhawks than guys who play for Edmonton or Tampa.

It's almost like Chicago is one of the premiere hockey markets in America.

Or that the NHL is awful at marketing their star players…

Reactions: CanmoreMike

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG
Weird to see Keith deal and McGuire news on bottom of screen during HR derby

ESPN used to just ignore hockey but had it prominent on bottom scrawl now

I'm Canadian - how relevant is ESPN today in the US? I know it used to be hailed as the pinnacle for hockey to aspire to. Is the NHL getting back on ESPN on its downward slide? That's what it seems to me from afar. But I've been wrong before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad