OT: NHL inks 7 year deal with ESPN

Are you happy we are back to ESPN?

• Total voters

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Well...better not treat us like crap again...this will be split as well..NBC likely still gonna air games too. Love that theme song though!! Gary Thorne come on down!
Screenshot_20210309-190418.png

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Really?

They have been firing workers in droves and ESPN will be budgeting minimal $ into NHL like they did after landing NBA deal in 03
I hadn't heard about that.

But regardless the firing of workers, although unfortunate, doesn't seem to have had much of an impact on the production value of their shows.

An NHL show like First Take or The Jump would probably do a lot to drive interest in the league.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I was, not expecting, but hoping they would focus on some big streaming service connections and elements in their deal. Maybe that will come to pass but I don't know.

I do not get the doom and gloom. Every complaint about how ESPN treated the NHL or will treat the NHL is still better than anything NBC provides. So someone seems to think that NBCSports provides good coverage and is better than tertiary ESPN coverage? Nobody stumbles onto NBCSports. They can for ESPNs options and having the actual sports network that plays sports besides your game and not just fishing and hunting shows will help drive attention.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
still being reported this will be a split venture-so ESPN AND another network...I can't see why NBC wouldn't want to keep hockey and Sunday sport programming like they have with it. A NBC/ESPN split makes sense and would be pretty solid IMO. Can't rely on just one network anymore.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Eh, I'm good if the vid is quality.

I don't watch those shows, but cringe at the thought of a bunch of dingus commentators yelling at each other soap opera style in childish McDavid vs Matthews debates.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I did read that NBC is shuttering NBC Sports channel by the end of the year. So good idea to split between the 2.

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
"It is highlighted by: exclusive coverage of the Stanley Cup Final on ABC in four of the seven years of the agreement, with the ability to simulcast/megacast on ESPN+ and additional ESPN networks"

"Additionally, the NHL’s out-of-market streaming package, with more than 1,000 games (formerly on NHL.TV), will now be available for fans to stream only as part of an ESPN+ subscription."

Sounds like they are really focusing on their ability to stream games via ESPN+ and Hulu. The only thing that could make me happier at this point is if they confirm they have both Home and Away feeds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad