NHL in Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Oranje

Sep 20, 2010
I hope this happens...more for the sake of the Sonics coming back, but I do think an NHL team would do well there.

embee

Apr 29, 2011
Best thread I've read in awhile until iggyfan showed up.

Anyways, back to the topic. I would love more than anything to have a team in Seattle, so would many people who live in Victoria. Victoria is the capital city of British Columbia (no, its not Vancouver) with a population of 330,000. Canucks game draw many, many people from Victoria. It is cheaper and easier to get to downtown Seattle than it is to get to Vancouver. Tickets to a Seattle NHL game would no doubt be cheaper than games in Vancouver, and easier to get. No matter what team you cheer for it is way easier to roadtrip to Seattle than Van.

A Seattle hockey team would attract many fans from Canada for every game, no matter who was playing, as weekend trips to the city are a common occurence. And if the Seahawks can draw busloads of fans from Vancouver/Victoria then absolutely a Seattle hockey team would draw busloads of hockey rabid Canadians.

Also, loving the results of that poll so far... %53 in favour of the NHL over NBA

embee

Apr 29, 2011
This article was written in a Vancouver paper during the Canucks playoff run...

http://www.theprovince.com/entertai...key+converts+across+border/4845922/story.html

I like this quote:

"We kind of adopted it. The staff, we didn’t at first understand the game but now I understand it and we definitely are gettting into it,†she said. “There’s a huge amount of energy during the games. There was more energy during the last game than there was for the Superbowl"

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Why does that matter? Where did baseball begin? Does that mean Toronto shouldn't have a team because baseball began in the United States?

I am in no way agreeing with "iggyfan", but Baseball starting in america is a myth, it has its roots in england, but was marketed as "American made" to pander to patriotism. Google it my friend.

Back on topic, Im for more expansion in the states. Houston, Seattle and Milwaukee are tops on my list....even over Quebec.

NHL in Wisconsin would be simply amazing and quite successful.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
I don't believe that it has to be basketball versus hockey as far as a Seattle arena is concerned. NHL+NBA are twice as many venue dates as either one alone, and make the arena that much more viable... unless it's as busy as Philips Arena in Atlanta or Sprint Center in KC, where NHL+NBA are crowded out by more profitable concerts, etc.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I don't believe that it has to be basketball versus hockey as far as a Seattle arena is concerned. NHL+NBA are twice as many venue dates as either one alone, and make the arena that much more viable... unless it's as busy as Philips Arena in Atlanta or Sprint Center in KC, where NHL+NBA are crowded out by more profitable concerts, etc.

People weren't lining up to buy the Sonics before the OKC guy purchased the franchise.

So, it then comes down to who is going to purchase these NBA and NHL franchises in Seattle. They have several wealthy high tech guys in the area, but are any of them really interested in having a pro sports team?

mfw13

Oct 20, 2006
This discussion is moot for at least the next five years due to the lack of an NHL-quality arena.

The only way that an NHL team ever ends up in Seattle is if some filthy rich businessman like Bill Gates or Paul Allen decides to build an arena using 100 PERCENT PRIVATE MONEY, because after paying for new stadiums for the Mariners and Seahawks recently, it's going to be quite a while before the citizens of King County are ready to vote tax dollars for a new NBA/NHL arena.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
This discussion is moot for at least the next five years due to the lack of an NHL-quality arena.

The only way that an NHL team ever ends up in Seattle is if some filthy rich businessman like Bill Gates or Paul Allen decides to build an arena using 100 PERCENT PRIVATE MONEY, because after paying for new stadiums for the Mariners and Seahawks recently, it's going to be quite a while before the citizens of King County are ready to vote tax dollars for a new NBA/NHL arena.

Should probably read the entire thread.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I know. Maybe they would want 82 dates instead of 41?

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
My friend Michelle Hilhorst is running for Bellevue City Council. I sidled up to her at the 4th of July picnic today and asked her how she felt about building an NHL stadium in Bellevue. She says she would support the heck out of that thing. :) (Her husband plays hockey.)

I heard that the mayor of Seattle apparently has no plans to update Key Arena, and he really DOES NOT want Bellevue to have an arena either, ala, if we can't have one, neither can you, and lobbied against Bellevue getting one in the legislature.

In any case, I love that there's a lot of talk about it! We gotta get something going! And vote for my friend Michelle! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michelle-Hilhorst-4-Bellevue/173116172749137

Dowisetrepla

Apr 29, 2009
Washington State
These rumors of building a new arena on the Eastside are interesting, if true. These sorts of rumors have been floating about for years, at least now we actually have a name attached to them.

RTN

Be Kind, Rewind
Aug 28, 2008
Really?
You think people will drive 2+ hours on weeknights to see hockey in Seattle?

If that is the case, I would think Vancouver would be concerned about Seattle taking fans.

I feel Seattle is big enough to support a team by itself.

Everyone from Vancouver Island has to travel about 2 hours (ferry) to see a Canucks game, though mostly on weekends. I have to travel about 4 hours. Since I believe there's a ferry from Victoria to Seattle, I could see lots of Islanders making the trip down if the tickets are cheaper.

Right now people are paying the Canucks around $80+ for a good upper-bowl ticket. If Seattle charges $50 per ticket, a lot of people will head down to watch a game and do some shopping or catch an NFL game.

RTN

Be Kind, Rewind
Aug 28, 2008
Vancouver people go to Seahawks games?
Really?
A sizeable amount?

A huge amount of people from BC go down to watch the Seahawks and Mariners. A few are season ticket holders, many others make it a weekend trip every year. I believe at least one of those teams has a Canadian fan appreciation day. I have no idea what the numbers are, but it's enough for the team to notice.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Really?
You think people will drive 2+ hours on weeknights to see hockey in Seattle?

If that is the case, I would think Vancouver would be concerned about Seattle taking fans.

I feel Seattle is big enough to support a team by itself.
It's not so much taking fans away from Vancouver, as taking overflow. When a team is hot, it's impossible to get tickets at reasonable prices. I can easily see Vancouver fans who can't get Canuck tickets roadtripping to Seattle. And Winnipeg Jets fans roadtripping to Minnesota, etc. They'd prefer to attend at home, but can't.

Slapshot85

Jul 1, 2011
It's not so much taking fans away from Vancouver, as taking overflow. When a team is hot, it's impossible to get tickets at reasonable prices. I can easily see Vancouver fans who can't get Canuck tickets roadtripping to Seattle. And Winnipeg Jets fans roadtripping to Minnesota, etc. They'd prefer to attend at home, but can't.

It's like fans of the Leafs, Canadians, and Senators who will drive down to Buffalo for games. The Sabres also have a big season-ticket holder base in Southern Ontario (The case they make against a team in Hamilton) as well.

If Seattle does get a team, who would they get? The Islanders? Florida? Phoenix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad