NHL in Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Im all for giving WIS a try....but let's not pretend that just because one sport works somewhere it means any sport will.

You ever been to Milwaukee? Or Wisconsin in general??

They like hockey up there. The NHL would work. If it weren't for Dollar Bill Wirtz imposing territorial restrictions, they would've had a team of their own ages ago.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
You ever been to Milwaukee? Or Wisconsin in general??

They like hockey up there. The NHL would work. If it weren't for Dollar Bill Wirtz imposing territorial restrictions, they would've had a team of their own ages ago.

It wasn't Wirtz who prevented Milwaukee from getting a team. While the Bradley Center was being built franchise fees skyrocketed and Pettit couldn't justify spending that much money and charging the ticket prices necessary for a crap team filled with 3rd and 4th liners and bad goalies.

There was also the issue of oversaturation. The size of the Milwaukee area couldn't and still can't support three major league teams.

Make no mistake though, if Pettit wanted to bring a team to Milwaukee, it would have happened even if Wirtz didn't want it to happen and Wirtz wasn't even that concerned about it.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Well, where are the majority of nhlers from?

Where did hockey and the nhl begin?

Are you serious?

Hockey is a business, since you're asking obvious questions, i'll ask you obvious questions. Where is the majority of money? Where is the larger population? Which country has more major cities?

It doesn't matter that the NHL started in Canada and that the majority of players are from here. There are also a ton of American and European players in the NHL. It's becoming a global sport and the reason for that can be attributed to growing the game in the USA and expanding vastly throughout the country.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
Will people in this thread just get over where their from and focus on the topic... possible NHL in Seattle. I know there many of us who are bored, but... I'm not a Moderator and have nothing better to say... haha...

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Yeah, this really isn't that hard.

Canada's largest metro area would be 7th in the U.S., their 2nd largest metro area would be 15th in the U.S., their 3rd largest would be 22nd in the U.S, 4th largest would be 43rd in the U.S.

I would say Canada is well represented by NHL teams. When you add the populations of the U.S. and Canada together, the U.S. has 90% of the population. Canada has 23% of the NHL teams now that there's a team back in Winnipeg.

In order for the percentage of teams in Canada to match the population difference between the two countries the NHL would have to grant 40 expansion teams, all of them in the United States.

iggyfan98

Jun 16, 2011
British Columbia
Yeah, this really isn't that hard.

Canada's largest metro area would be 7th in the U.S., their 2nd largest metro area would be 15th in the U.S., their 3rd largest would be 22nd in the U.S, 4th largest would be 43rd in the U.S.

I would say Canada is well represented by NHL teams. When you add the populations of the U.S. and Canada together, the U.S. has 90% of the population. Canada has 23% of the NHL teams now that there's a team back in Winnipeg.

In order for the percentage of teams in Canada to match the population difference between the two countries the NHL would have to grant 40 expansion teams, all of them in the United States.

So then we have a 2 confrence system with 20 each and maybe a north south confrence sytem, those dived into two 10 team divisions east west, that is a great proposal

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Will people in this thread just get over where their from and focus on the topic... possible NHL in Seattle. I know there many of us who are bored, but... I'm not a Moderator and have nothing better to say... haha...

Fine. Assuming they can get the arena built I'd be a big fan of the NHL in Seattle. Would help a lot adding another team to the West Coast to make divisions more even and set up a nice rivalry with Vancouver.

iggyfan98

Jun 16, 2011
British Columbia
Fine. Assuming they can get the arena built I'd be a big fan of the NHL in Seattle. Would help a lot adding another team to the West Coast to make divisions more even and set up a nice rivalry with Vancouver.

What shoud the team be called
The Seattle Seamen

The rivalry would be called
"The Battle for the Sound" as in puget sound,
Would that be an appropiete name?

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Very interesting.... and actually shocking that the poll between what people would prefer to see, an NHL team or an NBA team, is not only close, but favoring the NHL team.

They're up to almost 2,000 votes now and the NHL has a 53.53% to 46.47% lead. Pretty surprising and possibly a good sign for the NHL gaining popularity.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
So then we have a 2 confrence system with 20 each and maybe a north south confrence sytem, those dived into two 10 team divisions east west, that is a great proposal

Not from a business standpoint.

Also, where would you put 10 teams in Canada and who would own the teams? Toronto x2, Montreal x2, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Halifax I guess could take teams, but TV ratings in the States would be brutal and value of the franchises would drop drastically.

iggyfan98

Jun 16, 2011
British Columbia
Not from a business standpoint.

Also, where would you put 10 teams in Canada and who would own the teams? Toronto x2, Montreal x2, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Halifax I guess could take teams, but TV ratings in the States would be brutal and value of the franchises would drop drastically.

I did not say add more canadian teams,
There are more than 13 teams in the northren states

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

I guess I don't really see what there is to discuss. Would it be a great place for the league? YES. Do they have a stadium? NO. We can speculate all we want, but until there are plans for a stadium, we don't have much to discuss.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
No that implies that the nhl is run by money

Businesses are ran by money?

Great excuse to use one of my favorite tags from another message board:
nBrwz.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events