GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2020 - X

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
So pathetic that DS has fans waiting out the likes of Mike Hoffman.

I don’t understand, the guy’s a ahole, no doubt...but he’s a absolute goalscorer. Consistent. Right there. Bank on it. Player wise, he seems really undervalued. He’s not old or anything.

That being said, unfortunately, I do think DS has written him off...probably because a combo of locker room toxicity and the ever present lack of money.

Disappointing. I’ll suffer the guy if he puts up 30 next to Krejci. Find the money. Not getting him is a mistake. It could make all the difference.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
If it is the third line perhaps.
I'm not sure you have a realistic expectation about how many goals a good 2nd line produces for for most teams.

Let's look at Tampa, since they seem to be the gold standard around here.

Last year, their 4th-6th best forwards last year were Alex Killorn, Ondrej Palat, and Anthony Cirelli. They combined for 59 goals.

That second line that you're ridiculing scored 50.

But let's also remember that Alex Killorn had never scored 20 goals in a season before last year, when he scored 26. He managed to do this by increasing his shooting percentage from a pretty good 10.4% to a league-leading 20.0%. I'm thinking that the odds that Alex Killorn has suddenly morphed into Mike Bossy at age 30 are pretty slim.

And let's also remember that Tampa isn't done subtracting from their roster.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Looks like no Cup next year .

I think that is realistic. Two of the Bruins strength just having off season surgery with recovery time into February and maybe March. Will probably not be in this season form anytime next season. Sweeney knows this and will probably not do much more this offseason... he hasn't much so far either. I am writting off this coming season. Surprise me, Bruins

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Oof that defense. 6.6M left in cap space, DeBrusk still needs a contract probably leaves 3M in cap space. Looks like it's gonna be a long year next year.

If you include the 10% overage for the offseason it’s $14.7. You can sign someone now and have the rest of the offseason to deal out guys like Moore and Ritchie. If it’s costs you draft picks then so what. Time to win

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
It’s a better forward group than they had last year - or the year before

Given 63/88 injuries that is not a slam dunk. Add in
Bergeron's now chronic groin issue and lots of
things to be concerned about up front.

On paper everyone healthy I agree but that's not reality.

Add in the hole left by Krug and the current D corp
Boston looks like #3 Team in current Atlantic.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I'm not sure you have a realistic expectation about how many goals a good 2nd line produces for for most teams.

Let's look at Tampa, since they seem to be the gold standard around here.

Last year, their 4th-6th best forwards last year were Alex Killorn, Ondrej Palat, and Anthony Cirelli. They combined for 59 goals.

That second line that you're ridiculing scored 50.

But let's also remember that Alex Killorn had never scored 20 goals in a season before last year, when he scored 26. He managed to do this by increasing his shooting percentage from a pretty good 10.4% to a league-leading 20.0%. I'm thinking that the odds that Alex Killorn has suddenly morphed into Mike Bossy at age 30 are pretty slim.

And let's also remember that Tampa isn't done subtracting from their roster.

TB is head and shoulders above Boston. No one compares to Hedman. TB core are in their
prime next 3 years.

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002

• Don Sweeney talks about waiting for Zdeno Chara to decide what he want to do. I thought Zee made it more than clear he wanted to play another year. Maybe Sweeney doesn't want him back. I'm a bit torn myself. I'm leaning towards Zee to be an assistant coach instead of player. I don't want Chara to leave the organization.
  • Whenever they start playing again I'm 100% sure that Jack Studnicka will force his way to regular roster spot. Not sure if he will play center or right wing but I'm sure he will be a producer.
  • I'm actually comfortable with Jeremy Lauzon, Jakub Zboril and Matt Grzelcyk on left defense
  • Bit concerned of lack of action for our prospects. Especially goalie Jeremy Swayman and the college kids Dustyn McFaul, Curtis Hall, John Beecher, Quinn Olson and Dustyn McFaul. Long lay off
  • What if Nick Ritchie show up playing at 215 lbs instead of 235 lbs. He might actually help the team

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Oof that defense. 6.6M left in cap space, DeBrusk still needs a contract probably leaves 3M in cap space. Looks like it's gonna be a long year next year.
I figure 2 years for DeBrusk

maybe like 3.4 and 5 for $4.2 AAV

They know they won’t have cash this year and both Smith and Grzelcyk deals seem to be structured that way

The thing with Hoffman my guess it’s only one year and you have to pay it all now

After Grzelcyk and DeBrusk they are very close to Cap

That can also wait to see if Killorn waived and gets to them

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
So we are looking at
Gryz-Mac
Moore-Carlo
Lauzon-Clifton

With Zboril trying to make the lineup and Miller handing out water bottles.

Im looking forward to Gryz with Mac but unless the kids take a massive leap this team is in a world of pain.

Reactions: bp13

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
If you include the 10% overage for the offseason it’s $14.7. You can sign someone now and have the rest of the offseason to deal out guys like Moore and Ritchie. If it’s costs you draft picks then so what. Time to win

That's great but unloading contracts isn't as easy as it usually would be. 4 teams have 60% of the remaining available cap space. They are rebuilding teams and if they're smart, which I know they are, they have everyone by the balls. They are not there to do anyone any favors , if you want to unload a contract it's gonna come at a premium. If you want some team to take Moore off your hands for example , he's gonna take a draft pick with him.

And all that is assuming they are not working with an internal budget and would even consider taking on your contract even with a draft pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: kjpm and tonino2424

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Red Wings did it with their prospects forever, worked for them
Sure, but they had deep pockets to sign free agents in the mean time. Holland got nuetered when the cap came in. Detroit isn’t a Swedish and Russian hotbed anymore. Holland didn’t rebuild crap since then.

Reactions: CDJ

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
So we are looking at
Gryz-Mac
Moore-Carlo
Lauzon-Clifton

With Zboril trying to make the lineup and Miller handing out water bottles.

Im looking forward to Gryz with Mac but unless the kids take a massive leap this team is in a world of pain.

The issue is that Grzelcyk is not a top pair guy and neither is Moore top4, so we have 2 guys playing above their skill level

If we had a better LD to pair with Carlo not an issue

Grzelcyk-McAvoy
Schmidt-Carlo
For example

That's great but unloading contracts isn't as easy as it usually would be. 4 teams have 60% of the remaining available cap space. They are rebuilding teams and if they're smart, which I know they are, they have everyone by the balls. They are not there to do anyone any favors , if you want to unload a contract it's gonna come at a premium. If you want some team to take Moore off your hands for example , he's gonna take a draft pick with him.

And all that is assuming they are not working with an internal budget and would even consider taking on your contract even with a draft pick.

Yep, don’t understand why people want to go over the limit this summer.

Top pair Schmidt went for 3rd because Vegas needed cap space, Tampa will have helluva time moving out a contract or 2, or they take a massive loss in a guys like Cirellis trade return

Columbud basically gave up Nutivaara for free as well

Last edited:

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Playoffs ~ Pastrnak will do something to get him out of lineup - I’m going knee sprain when his toboggan race against Kase goes bad and flips over.

Jimmy Murphy’s lead writer Joe Haggerty breaks the story it happened on an off day when he and Kase decided to jet to Aspen when they saw on line there was a snow storm early April in Colorado

Senyshyn steps in and goes all John Druce
Fair enough but did Stud get traded or did Bergeron get injured when Pastrnak’s toboggan hit him?

Honestly though it feels like the gap has been on the right for so long and now we have two guys ready on that side and no space. We did open a hole on the left but now we have no prospects on that side beyond Lauko. That’s pretty frustrating for a team that used to have more flexibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad