GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2020- VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
You know what I think happens if they go that route? They sign Chara 'just in case" and you know what happens if they do that? Coach uses him as 1st pairing LD . Is that what we wanna see? Not me.

That is my primary fear as well. Then also having Moore on the books gives Bruce an easy out when he starts to get the heebie jeebies about a young dman having a tough stretch.

Reactions: Gordoff

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Good place for my final, final, final sign-off.

Sweeney has cap space to add either a Top 6 LW or a Top 4 LD this offseason, but I can't see how he can afford both without more bodies than just John Moore going the other way. If he can add one or the other, I'd considered that a fairly decent off-season. Will be interesting as well to see if he does anything to alleviate the roster-size crunch he appears to have, especially up front where there are legit 17-18 guys vying for 13-14 spots.

Take care folks! I'll see you around again I'm sure.
Yes see you tomorrow!

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I guess my problem is, no matter what, he had all year to negotiate with Krug and from the sounds of it he didn't. Surely he must of knew long before Free Agency Krug was not signing with the Bruins. That being said he decided to sit and wait to see if Krug would circle back and what we see now is a GM as far as I can tell with no plan to replace him.

Yeah it is hard to say- they wanted Krug on an extension a year ago, we know that much. After that, it is hard to see what the plan is outside of what we are kicking around know- just go with the young guys in Lauzon, Zboril, perhaps Vaak and let it be what it is. Then again, there is still time and a lot of uncertainty out there with the cap, revenues etc. that Don could be still looking for a top 4 LD to bring in. If push came to shove, I'd rather they spend what they have on getting a top 6 wing if possible.

Reactions: Gordoff

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
The post in last thread that had a tweet in it stating that 90% of the cap dollars have been spent... I don’t know how accurate that is, but it certainly seems like there are more than a few teams that are either done, or out of room to do more until moves are made.

I'm not saying it's Sweeney's strategy to take advantage of a team or two in trouble, or a FA or two on the cheap now that most of the money has dried up - but if it ISN'T, we have serious problems.

Thing is, we have no way of knowing for sure right now with all these balls still up in the air. Can't believe I'm saying this, but... I'm gonna be extremely reluctantly patient until the picture becomes more clear.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
AZ doesn't want that Don. If that is what it took, he'd probably be here by now. They want a TOP prospect, so read: Studnicka, A young roster player (Lauzon is probably not it- think JDB), and 1st and a 2nd, and dammit they have to retain and they won't. Maybe they sing a different tune once the season starts. Senyshyn and Zboril have no trade value right now to land a top player.
With all due respect I don't think we know for sure what their wants/demands were.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Oel wants to come to Boston. We need oel scoring after krug departure. Donny has to make this happen. I'm sure he can swing it without giving stud.

Yeah sure. We honestly don't know what they wanted and I doubt we'll ever know. There are hundreds of thousands of posters here on all of the teams boards. There are probably that many opinions here on the subject too (if they all care). I don't trust or believe anyone who says that they know for sure because their "aunt Millie is the mother of the dog walkers secretary of the Coyotes GM, and she said...."

Reactions: The don godfather

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Oel wants to come to Boston. We need oel scoring after krug departure. Donny has to make this happen. I'm sure he can swing it without giving stud.
Alex Goligoski scored more points than OEL last year, and scored more points on the PP than OEL despite ~20% less time on the power play. Better defensively without nearly as much risk.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
The post in last thread that had a tweet in it stating that 90% of the cap dollars have been spent... I don’t know how accurate that is, but it certainly seems like there are more than a few teams that are either done, or out of room to do more until moves are made.

I'm not saying it's Sweeney's strategy to take advantage of a team or two in trouble, or a FA or two on the cheap now that most of the money has dried up - but if it ISN'T, we have serious problems.

Thing is, we have no way of knowing for sure right now with all these balls still up in the air. Can't believe I'm saying this, but... I'm gonna be extremely reluctantly patient until the picture becomes more clear.

It’s going to be interesting.

Do teams clear space? Do the remaining free agents settle for one year and shorter money, hoping to take another crack at free agency next off season?

I also find it unlikely that teams are going to be very eager to take any of the Bruins’ spare parts, such as the John Moores of the world, off their hands; if for no other reason than not wanting to spend the real dollars.

Only comparison I can draw is a couple of MLB seasons ago when owners seemed to draw an unwritten line in the sand and many established veterans went into spring training without a deal.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
That wont do it I am afraid, no way Arizona takes this deal. 2 AHL players a ist and a 6th dee?
I think Debrusk, Vaak and a second gets it done.
With the money we have left over, we sign one of Toffoli, Hoffman, maybe Duclair, if he lowers his ask?
If we sign toffoli. I'll drive jake and vak to the airport for oel.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Still think they should circle back and take a good look at Stamkos as a winger option.

Table a competitive, cost friendly offer to Tampa (aka face saving), that really doesn’t hurt Boston in the now.

And yes, I’m going to use corporate language today. I enjoyed that yesterday.

Reactions: Coach Parker

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Teams still need to get under cap. I suspect some under the radar players will be available soon. Sweeney may have another move or two up his sleeve

I think he has to.

I truly believe the top line winger has to come from a trade now. Anything else is patchwork and isn't a true addition to the core. Which teams are looking to improve still and hopelessly against the cap?

OVER THE CAP:

Arizona
St.Louis
Anaheim
Washington

CLOSE TO CAP:

Winnipeg
Toronto
Edmonton
Calgary
Tampa Bay

Now, who has top line talent on those teams available via trade?

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Still think they should circle back and take a good look at Stamkos as a winger option.

Table a competitive, cost friendly offer to Tampa (aka face saving), that really doesn’t hurt Boston in the now.

*Punts easton out of the thread*

:laugh:

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY

Sweeney has cap space to add either a Top 6 LW or a Top 4 LD this offseason, but I can't see how he can afford both without more bodies than just John Moore going the other way. If he can add one or the other, I'd considered that a fairly decent off-season. Will be interesting as well to see if he does anything to alleviate the roster-size crunch he appears to have, especially up front where there are legit 17-18 guys vying for 13-14 spots.

See you tomorrow.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

I'm here with you.

Turn away from the shiny UFA's over 30 looking for term. There was one top line talent available and he is gone.

Turn all attention to a trade. Find the team needing to shed salary and perhaps a winger that is in their 20's and can be part of the core, not an addition on the outskirts.

Reactions: wintersej

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada

I wouldn't want to discuss any deal with SS until we are 100% sure he is fully recovered from his recent surgery.
Wish him well, he is a dynamic player.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

gonna be a long 19 hours without you ;)

Something has to give with the roster crunch, that’s why I don’t think this offseason is even close to being over for them

Reactions: Bodit9

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
@BruinDust thread got locked haha!

I do wonder too if there was a decision at some point to go with Zboril and Lauzon on the left along with Gryz and Moore and see how it goes. I know a lot of people will hate that idea if it happens, but it is a legit decision that a GM could make and if it doesn't go well, there is always the trade market. I myself don't hate it, really. I'd prefer they brought someone in, but if not, this could be okay. Time to see if the draft and development model has been any good.

It's not a terrible strategy and those guys have been marinating in the AHL for awhile. But it does carry quite a bit of risk. And I find it hard to imagine Don would feel comfortable with 2 rookies on the left side in the playoffs.

Reactions: Dr Hook

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Also while I don’t think Bjork is a world beater people need to recognize he had played 72 games in 2 years and was coming back from a major injury, there’s definitely room for him to grow

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara

He has a cap hit of 8.5 million and plays center and RW. We need a Left dee more than anything and maybe a Left Winger. If we traded Krech he would be a good pickup but he has injury problems over 30 and paid for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad