GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy 2020 - IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

OV

Obstructed View
Sep 23, 2003
Niagara Falls
Insider Trading: Patrik Laine, Winnipeg Jets remain poised to part ways - TSN.ca

What are your thoughts? This is the biggest fish ever if true.

Laine wants first line minutes. He's not going to get them in Boston unless
you're moving Pastrnak. I kinda doubt moving Pastrnak is an option.
If Laine is waiting until he can try to hit BIG money next contract, which is
next year, then you likely lose him plus whomever you traded are now gone
for a single year of Laine. How is that worth trading for that player?

Reactions: Ratty

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Laine is the absolute last player this management team would ever trade for.
Good~ guys a f***ing floater
I traded him in SIM for
Shestyorkin
Kaprizov
Borgstrom
Pionk
Robertson
1st

rebuilt my entire team getting rid of that lazy one dimensional prick 3 years ago

unlike Liam Neison I am not impressed with his singular skill

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff and BBruins

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’m not worried about the “1st line minutes” thing, he’d get plenty of minutes

I do not see the bruins trading for him though, just doesn’t seem like their type of player

Reactions: since76

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Man if donny did get laine or hoffman the fireworks this place will set off. I think hf boards will crash. The headline would say donny did something!!!

If he did get Laine he would have redeemed himself for me in every way possible. I have been screaming for five years for help on the wing and that would instantly fill that need for the next decade+. I couldn't complain at all if that was the only hole filled finally; a top line winger, young, potential 40-50 goal scorer. Unreal addition better than any RFA or UFA out there.

Reactions: Mission ImPastable

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
I would do anything to get Laine on Bruins but it's not possible with our picks+prospect pool and we cant give him first line minutes.

Reactions: Coach Parker

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Good~ guys a f***ing floater
I traded him in SIM for
Shestyorkin
Kaprizov
Borgstrom
Pionk
Robertson
1st

rebuilt my entire team getting rid of that lazy one dimensional prick

unlike Liam Neison I am not impressed with his singular skill

I would have agreed with you until this year; I have to defend his commitment to finally working on rounding out his game for Maurice and playing more defensive hockey at the cost of what you mentioned above.

And I am one of the few here who watches him and west-coast games a lot.

Reactions: Gordoff

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I would do anything to get Laine on Bruins but it's not possible with our picks+prospect pool and we cant give him first line minutes.

Yes they can. If the top six runs like many do now, you can have him and Pastrnak getting 20 minutes a night each, then 14 for Smith and 6 for 4th line Wagner.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Really? I am genuinely curious as to why?
He’s lazy he’s inconsistent I seen him dog it

I traded him in the SIM and I like him even less now

we all have players we don’t like he’s mine

Kyle Connor I love - if we are getting a Winnipeg player I’ll take him

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I would have agreed with you until this year; I have to defend his commitment to finally working on rounding out his game for Maurice and playing more defensive hockey at the cost of what you mentioned above.

And I am one of the few here who watches him and west-coast games a lot.
Fair enough

I don’t

I have a vision in my mind of him floating around like it’s 1983 NHL

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
If he did get Laine he would have redeemed himself for me in every way possible. I have been screaming for five years for help on the wing and that would instantly fill that need for the next decade+. I couldn't complain at all if that was the only hole filled finally; a top line winger, young, potential 40-50 goal scorer. Unreal addition better than any RFA or UFA out there.
Depends on what's given back. We could also regret the trade . For example give up stud and he becomes bergy 2.0

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Laine is the absolute last player this management team would ever trade for.

Yeah, I'd agree and say that they have coveted Hall, Liked OEL's advanced stats, want to keep Krug, re-sign injured Miller to a 2 million dollar contract, wouldn't disrespect Chara, know Rask is coming back and of course have a plan in place. :sarcasm:

In all honesty, nothig they are doing suggests that they are operating as expected or anticipated so if you say it's the last move they'd make, we have to assume that it's entirely probable given the NHL draft and current UFA signings.

Reactions: Gordoff and ylekot

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Fair enough

I don’t

I have a vision in my mind of him floating around like it’s 1983 NHL

His second year was very much like that and it cost him his coaches respect. Last year was his growing up year and learning the game.

Remember what was being said about Seguin before the Bruins shipped him out for pennies on the dollar?

Reactions: HustleB

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Depends on what's given back. We could also regret the trade . For example give up stud and he becomes bergy 2.0

That's true, and always a risk when you trade a prospect BUT you are suggesting that the Bruins would be trading away a Hockey Hall of Fame Triple Crown Selke Bruins retired number player. Let's be a little realistic here, and that approach will lead to them holding onto every player and never making trades.

Studnicka didn't even stay in the Bruins lineup for the playoffs. I love him and have a Generals Jersey but Laine is at a different level.

What if Laine scores 50? Same sort of what-ifs. Laine scoring 50 is MUCH more likely than Studnicka having a Bergeron career, no?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The only reason I’m not pissed off right now like most of this board is because there’s so many question marks right now that something has to give. There has to be a plan. It doesn’t take a Harvard mind to know that the team is not better than they were last year as it currently stands. Something will be done. But when....
I mean they won the Presidents Trophy by what 8 points

lost Krug added Smith

hmm yah they are cooked - hide the children when the Bruins are on

Krug is a loveable competitive high character elite PP defenseman who’s good on transition and better in his own zone then given credit for

He’s not a game changer though

the Bruins in his place have multiple first round picks and in March signed the top college FA defenseman who plays a similar style to Krug as well as physical

Unless this team is ravaged by injury they are top 4 in their conference probably 1 or 2

Reactions: Jean_Jacket41

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Laine wants first line minutes. He's not going to get them in Boston unless
you're moving Pastrnak. I kinda doubt moving Pastrnak is an option.
If Laine is waiting until he can try to hit BIG money next contract, which is
next year, then you likely lose him plus whomever you traded are now gone
for a single year of Laine. How is that worth trading for that player?

1. Laine can get 1st line minutes in Boston. 20 minutes each is plenty each night.
2. When his contract ends, he is still a RFA so you aren't losing him AND the Bruins have a TON of cap space after this season.
3. Once you realize he is a RFA, he will have either lived up to the expectations and earned his next contract or sign again for what he is worth.

I'd agree with you if he was a UFA but he isn't. He is a RFA and the Bruins have total control over the signing.

I'd lock up the RW for the next decade with him and Pastrnak if I could and give them 20 minutes a game. They both average around or under 20 minutes now so Pastrnak's time won't be minimized or his.

XXX - XXX - Pastrnak (18-20 minutes)
XXX - XXX - Laine (18-20 minutes)
XXX - XXX - Smith (12-14 minutes)
XXX - XXX - Wagner (6-12 minutes)

That's about average. A little less wear and tear on the top line and giving two minuted to the 2nd line or OTHER top line. I won't make lineups because that will get my hopes up but the cap space is there, the minutes are there and the RFA controlled player is there.

Scruffy

Jun 18, 2009
Bawstin
I think the D will be fine. Donny knows how to draft defensemen. It just seems that he hates forwards and goalscoring. This team still needs more secondary scoring. SIGN HOFFMAN.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Im curious if this is why Sweeney has been quiet thus far. Maybe he's working on some hockey trades to improve the team instead of trying to improve through free agency. He does seem like a GM who would rather make trades than recklessly sign FA's to big money deals.. Fingers crossed

While trades cost assets they allow you to send money back so that's a plus. They also allow to target who you actually want as opposed to what's available on the UFA market. If the Bruins really want to make changes this is the way to go. Otherwise you can only add one player. If you only add one player you haven't made the team better.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
just got done listening to this and it made me feel better about the draft, especially knowing that this analyst is a New York guy
I know 0.0 about Louhri

I know a lot about the guy who watched him

If the Bruins and Kournianos watched him and reached the same conclusion that holds more to me then what Cory Pronman or Scott Wheeler

that’s me - I use a bunch like Red Line, McKeens etc

Steve has the podcast and his style and approach I can relate to

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I know 0.0 about Louhri

I know a lot about the guy who watched him

If the Bruins and Kournianos watched him and reached the same conclusion that holds more to me then what Cory Pronman or Scott Wheeler

that’s me - I use a bunch like Red Line, McKeens etc

Steve has the podcast and his style and approach I can relate to

yeah Lewry seems like a worthwhile investment when it’s all said and done. Looking forward to watching him develop

Really excited about Kuntar

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
That's true, and always a risk when you trade a prospect BUT you are suggesting that the Bruins would be trading away a Hockey Hall of Fame Triple Crown Selke Bruins retired number player. Let's be a little realistic here, and that approach will lead to them holding onto every player and never making trades.

Studnicka didn't even stay in the Bruins lineup for the playoffs. I love him and have a Generals Jersey but Laine is at a different level.

What if Laine scores 50? Same sort of what-ifs. Laine scoring 50 is MUCH more likely than Studnicka having a Bergeron career, no?
If laine is the target I would think debrusk and carlo is fair deal for both sides. If they want more donny should walk away

Reactions: Coach Parker

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
If laine is the target I would think debrusk and carlo is fair deal for both sides. If they want more donny should walk away

I'd agree but I'd also expect a 1st or LHD prospect to be going the other way. After that, you really have to stop and gauge the value.

I'd love just for once to be on the winning side of one of these 3 for 1 trades...

Reactions: The don godfather
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad