GDT: NHL Free Agency Meeting period

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I'm still drinking the Yzerman Flavor-Aid. Can't always be a FA winner. It didn't look like there was options to trade up/down in the draft.

Yes but there was options to upgrade the blueline through trades. Trouba, Subban and Barrie were all acquired relatively cheap although Barrie cost a decent amount.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yes but there was options to upgrade the blueline through trades. Trouba, Subban and Barrie were all acquired relatively cheap although Barrie cost a decent amount.
… and Miller. The team could have afforded giving up a 2nd and 5th, that's the likely return for Green and Daley.

Reactions: Go Wings

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Nobody is pissing and moaning little boy.

You can still 100% support the guy while being somewhat surprised/disappointed
''For a rebuilding club with a new GM we didnt pckg picks to move up at the draft, didnt sell cap space for picks or prospects, didnt take a swing at signing a young guy with upside looking for a new enviroment nor did make a trade whatsoever and steal a guy from a cap desperate team.
Not what I was hoping to see to be honest.''
i call that pissing and moaning , what do you call it positive comments ? as opposed to respecting yzermans proven prowess as an nhl gm and dealing in the reality that he knows more than you about the nhl and that those manuevers you wanted him to do werent what is currently best for the red wings . then instead of filling this forum up with more wrongly based complaints focusing on the positives of whats going on with the red wings . yes its your right to criticize but try running your statement by an nhl insider and theyll repeat my original comment on the matter .

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Gusev would be a great add, I really think he'll be a top line player. We have the cap space to sign him, obviously, but the question is are we willing to part with the assets to trade for him. That's especially hard to evaluate since he's never played in the NHL.
Also that stuff about him not seeing eye-to-eye with Tampa's management may get in the way, though he said he never even met Yzerman, so he may have had nothing to do with it.

Zetterbeer

Aug 4, 2018
Ontario
Pretty sure Gusev just recently took a shot at the Lightning

Translation from Sport-Express.com: Nikita Gusev talks about his time with the Lightning organization

So I seriously doubt that marriage.
Welp there goes that "great fit". Maybe Yzerman can offer him everything he couldn't in Tampa.

Is it too late now to say sorry? :dunno:

Edit: After a quick search it seems Tampa never even offered him a contract, he signed his ELC with Vegas...maybe it is too late.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Let's call this for what it is. These are terrible moves and if it was Holland making these deals people would be calling for his head.

No.

And people got to where they'd be calling for Holland's head if he ordered a ham sandwich instead of a turkey sandwich from room service. It is seriously time to move on from what you think the reaction would be if Holland made the moves. He isn't our GM anymore.

BIGZ40

Jul 2, 2006
Georgia
I'm not sure what fans were expecting. Yzerman put it best, he's trying to add depth with short term right now so he doesn't bury younger players. He wants an opportunity to see what he is working with in regards to our prospects, but still wants to ice a competitive team. Fil is still a solid bottom 6 player with value on the pk and in a pinch pp. Picks gives you a solid vet goalie in the AHL with Larsson to ease his transition to pros, and Nemeth is a solid stay at home dman. None cost too much noneh too much term. This team isn't ready to contend yet, fa splash or trades were not going to get us there instantly. Give it time.

Reactions: decaguard

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Let's call this for what it is. These are terrible moves and if it was Holland making these deals people would be calling for his head.

How are they terrible?

3M cap hits over 2 year terms. Seriously, these moves are far from terrible. We get a vet goalie to help in GR, his cap hit does not matter, we have space. We get a 3C who can play wing or 2C in a pinch, his cap hit does not matter, we have space. We get a bottom pairing D man who is probably top 4 on our garbage blueline, his cap hit doesn't matter, we have space. We spent 7M on 3 guys for 2 years.... THE SKY IS FALLING

Last edited:

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
so many cry babys here its unreal . in first place none of the big names were going to sign here . secondly he no doubt made offers to other guys but they chose else where . mean while he didnt want to commit long term cap to anybody that remained so he chose two short term guys to plug holes and make team a bit more competitive while hes sailing along in building the depth chart mode , as opposed to being in a mode of attempting to compete for titles today . and maybe he over payed but that cap hits meaningless currently so overpaying a bit dont matter . mean while he knows flips good for the room and for on ice commitment , ands probably the same with nemeth making these moves that also help to strengthen redwing culture . your criticizing a guy thats seen by the majority of nhl media and fans as the best gm today without even knowing who he could of possibly signed today or the future on how these moves and thee entire yzerman plan works out . ridiculous .

Reactions: ChelisChiliBar

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
How are they terrible?

3M cap hits over 2 year terms. Seriously, these moves are far from terrible. We get a vet goalie to help in GR, his cap hit does not matter, we have space. We get a 3C who can play wing or 2C in a pinch, his cap hit does not matter, we have space. We get a bottom pairing D man who is probably top 4 on our garbage blueline, his cap hit doesn't matter, we have space. We spent 7M on 3 guys for 2 years.... THE SKY IS FALLING
exactly . its cry baby central here .

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
There is literally nothing to complain about with these deals

All 3 UFAs signed have 2 year term on their deals -- they will be gone before we know it

Also Filppula and Nemeth are depth guys who will help prevent rushing kids into the league, but I would imagine if Zadina, Veleno, Cholowski, etc. come into camp and blow coaching and management away that they will stick, there aren't THAT many vets blocking the top few youngsters

Yes we signed 3 players but its barely even worth mentioning in the grand scheme of this rebuild, they are just placeholders for ~150 games

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
There is literally nothing to complain about with these deals

All 3 UFAs signed have 2 year term on their deals -- they will be gone before we know it

Also Filppula and Nemeth are depth guys who will help prevent rushing kids into the league, but I would imagine if Zadina, Veleno, Cholowski, etc. come into camp and blow coaching and management away that they will stick, there aren't THAT many vets blocking the top few youngsters

Yes we signed 3 players but its barely even worth mentioning in the grand scheme of this rebuild, they are just placeholders for ~150 games

Adding on to this, I'm not aware of any NTC/NMCs on these deals. If they have none, these deals are actually good trade bait come the final year of their contracts. Retain 1.5 at the deadline and any team could afford these guys.

Stop gap placeholders for a year then flipped for picks the next year.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
No.

And people got to where they'd be calling for Holland's head if he ordered a ham sandwich instead of a turkey sandwich from room service. It is seriously time to move on from what you think the reaction would be if Holland made the moves. He isn't our GM anymore.

This is a message board, we can discuss what we want to discuss related to hockey.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
This is a message board, we can discuss what we want to discuss related to hockey.

When every single topic involves “durrr Holland would have given him 80 kajillion dollars and 50 Brazilian hookers”, it does not seem like anyone is interested in actual discussion.

You’re right. You are free to discuss whatever you want. But how on Earth is “Holland would have gotten ripped apart for this move” a conversation starter?

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
When every single topic involves “durrr Holland would have given him 80 kajillion dollars and 50 Brazilian hookers”, it does not seem like anyone is interested in actual discussion.

You’re right. You are free to discuss whatever you want. But how on Earth is “Holland would have gotten ripped apart for this move” a conversation starter?

Same way “Holland is an idiot!” is a supposedly conversation starter. Had to hear that one for the past 10 years every single day. Don’t like what I say, you are free to not respond.

There’s naturally going to be a comparison between the old GM and new GM for a while.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
honestly considering that how bad these moves are depends entirely on whether or not the Wings are willing to bench vets to make room for prospects down the line i'd say that Holland hypothetically getting bashed more for making them is entirely justified in a way that's not even "lets give some slack to the new gm"

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Short cheap stopgap contracts are literally the best way to handle a rebuild. How can anyone complain with these signings?

It’s extremely bizarre. People bring up Holland, and it’s like, it was good when’s Holland signed cheap depth to one or two year deals in the last two years too? I do not understand at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad