Confirmed with Link: NHL finds Rielly not guilty

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Sadly damage is done, it will follow him for a long time.

Espn already wrote their article accusing him and I seriously doubt they will follow up with a retraction.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Where did this happen? I didn't see any of that.

I didn't either. Maybe I missed it but I didn't see even one post today saying Rielly is guilty of anything, seems like everyone was waiting for confirmation one way or the other. What I did see was a ton of people justifying calling someone a f...... f..... because it's "only words" and that I found disappointing but I digress ...

Perhaps people are now hunting imaginary witches?

Reactions: Joey Hoser

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Sad that anyone is OK with people telling you what words you can and cannot use.

Men gave their lives for Freedom of Speech and you know, sometimes feelings will get hurt - but that's 1000% better than people controlling what you can say or not.

When technology develops to the point where your thoughts can be read - I'm sure there'll be no shortage of people looking to control you based on that as well.

It is all tyranny under the guise of compassion.

That thought process produced Hitler. Hate speech should never be tolerated. Just like innocence should be upheld until proven guilty. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I didn't either. Maybe I missed it but I didn't see even one post today saying Rielly is guilty of anything, seems like everyone was waiting for confirmation one way or the other. What I did see was a ton of people justifying calling someone a f...... f..... because it's "only words" and that I found disappointing but I digress ...

Perhaps people are now hunting imaginary witches?

People enjoy thinking they are being oppressed by snowflakes, for some reason I'll never understand.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yeah, It's not worth even suggesting to wait.

We live in a society that changes our anthem because it said "sons" that should tell you how quickly people will jump down your throat.

I gave up on most people a long time ago, I cannot keep up with the amount of things considered offensive anymore.

I was raised to respect other humans, so thats what I do, but I disagree with a lot of these movements you always see, things are just way to overly sensitive.

Agreed.

Sadly damage is done, it will follow him for a long time.

Espn already wrote their article accusing him and I seriously doubt they will follow up with a retraction.

Really? That's very disappointing. They probably will issue a retraction, in a footnote on page 56 or whatever in a font so small nobody will see it.

The main boards were ripping him to shreds last night, you shuld have seen it.

I wouldn't expect anything else from most people there. Anything Leafs and they'll jump all over it.

Reactions: DanM

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
This is a bit of a weird take tho no? Would you be okay if the slur were a racial one directed at a black player ? Would you say that those are just words and that a league full of everyone calling each other slurs is just normal or okay?

I think the investigation was warranted and it showed that nothing happened and that's a good thing. I don't see why there has to be such an extreme reaction in the opposite direction. It's best for everyone that there are investigations and accountability like this.
The 'investigation' was a waste of time...How about put the microphones where they belong. For anyone who has played sport,there is no room for cry babies...seriously,it is a different realm out there(for those who don't know)...can't take it ...go home!

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Reddit in particular was a joke last night. The mods edited the title to make it sound like Rielly was guilty and let the thread ride for 16 hours to the point it made it to r/all.
Really? That's pretty sad.

We live in a society that changes our anthem because it said "sons" that should tell you how quickly people will jump down your throat.
I don't see how that is something to get worked up over. An anthem should represent a nation, and you are better off if it doesn't reference just half the population. That doesn't seem relevant to this at all.

Reactions: WillNy29

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
This is a bit of a weird take tho no? Would you be okay if the slur were a racial one directed at a black player ? Would you say that those are just words and that a league full of everyone calling each other slurs is just normal or okay?

I think the investigation was warranted and it showed that nothing happened and that's a good thing. I don't see why there has to be such an extreme reaction in the opposite direction. It's best for everyone that there are investigations and accountability like this.
I for one don't buy into the concept of hate speech. I condemn racism and find your examples as to be morally wrong - but I do not wish there to be laws to prevent others from speaking their minds. Free Speech isn't to protect your ability to say "hello" to someone.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apparently calling ref a "maggot" is now an issue

what a joke

Pretty soon every curse word people use will have an organization with a hashtag saying that it brings up traumatic memories for them, we will all just walk around mute.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I might break the mold here, but unless he knew someones sexuality and was referring to it specifically in that manner, we are splitting hairs here anyways.

Let me tell you, I've been called this and MUCH worse. I've heard this term used such as "a-hole" or many other terms, that aren't used intentionally against a group of people, but as a generic middle finger to some one. The language police come out in droves when such a word is used without knowing the intent or the context.

We saw the same thing with Pillar last year and we get the usual finger wagging from people. People say things in the heat of the moment, they aren't thinking of being P.C in that moment.

In short, let's cut out the artificial outrage every time such an event occurs. There are real problems and real suffering in the world, I doubt any NHL player let alone Reilly cares about ones sexuality or is offended by what other people in their own lives.

Bronxxx

Dec 2, 2018
It’s a shame Riellys character was besmirched by media and some fans. The accuser(s) stirred the pot and are not held responsible just fade away. Worse still is those who attacked Rielly won’t do the same to gossip makers. Rielly is owed public apologies. This good man should be Captain!

Reactions: The Apologist

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I don't understand this post.

If person A goes around the boards calling people N-words and F-words, and then person B calls them a bigot, you think person B is offensive?
Now you see where this is headed...keep your thoughts to yourself! One day,it will be ...no talking at all because it is too risky,impossible not to offend!

Reactions: The Apologist

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Really? That's pretty sad.

I don't see how that is something to get worked up over. An anthem should represent a nation, and you are better off if it doesn't reference just half the population. That doesn't seem relevant to this at all.

No, that anthem was put in place at a different time, and although I believe we should always recognize everyone, we should not be changing such a historic thing... like a countries anthem. I think many people also share this belief. You think they would change the Russian anthem? or Star Spangled Banner?

Like I said, we live in an overly sensitive time.

Reactions: dsred and Zizzzzy

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
I don't understand this post.

If person A goes around the boards calling people N-words and F-words, and then person B calls them a bigot, you think person B is offensive?
Nobody uses those words - but if you complain about the SJW narrative that is thrust down our throats as part of the hockey broadcast - you are called "misogynist" and "bigot" without penalty.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Anyone know where the presser will be available? I'm assuming SNO which is set to replay the Leafs game from last night at 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad