Confirmed with Link: NHL finds Rielly not guilty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
A few tweets suggest bribery (mostly from random accounts), people will move on eventually but for now he's not off everyone's hook.
They desperately need there to be "bad" people so they can reaffirm their ideology. Problem is, the demand for NAZI's far outweighs the actual supply so you get dudes faking hate attacks and people jumping all over the slightest hint of something, as in Reilly's case.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Virtue signaling, virtue signaling!!

Question for all you fine SJW folks! What is worse? Using a homophobic slur, or issuing a death threat? Because I'm sure Morgan Rielly received a few of those this morning.

How sure are you?

And BTW, if nobody answers you, it might be because some questions are so dumb that answering is pointless.

Lol hahahahahaha, so youd condone their behavior on basis of "free speech" but wouldn't give them consequences for their actions, youre right history does repeat itself if not learned from. Read up on MLK and you'll understand why your line of reasoning is ridiculous.
Lets think of it like this: there is a gay or lesbian leaf fan who wants to play hockey, he hears his favorite player yell said slur (not saying reilly said it I am on Reilly's side here), how would that child or teen feel? Sometimes its better to just be a good person and not a dick

Haha, indeed. Occam's razor wins again.

Reactions: WillNy29

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It's just mind boggling to me that someone can understand why the N word is wrong and never say it, but think Fa***** is ok and everyone is too sensitive these day. WTF?

The reality of the matter is words are words and words should never be outlawed. As a good person with a proper upbringing you should get a feel for what is acceptable in society and what is not. You can be looked down upon for using colouful words, but at the end of the day. They are words.

The Fbomb is let out a lot at sporting events and their are young ears around. The Fa bomb has an entirely different meaning in the UK. Go figure.

Reactions: CelticDruid

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Seems like it was a non issue, amazing that it could generate this amount of posts.

Reactions: CelticDruid

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The thing I have most against people being opposed to moving away from using certain words is that it's not exactly something unnatural. Languages change all the time, new words are introduced and old ones fall out of usage. It's just how it works, and it is a change that comes within a lifetime and on the individual level as well. And most of the time a word falls out of usage it's because of dumber reasons than this, like that people can't spell correctly.

Moving away from certain words organically or being a decent person and not trying to go out of your way to offend people is fine, i'm in complete agreement

Ive got no problem with the language changing organically in that sense but I do struggle with multinational corporations and governments criminalizing certain words under "hate speech" in a very arbitrary fashion though

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The reality of the matter is words are words and words should never be outlawed. As a good person with a proper upbringing you should get a feel for what is acceptable in society and what is not. You can be looked down upon for using colouful words, but at the end of the day. They are words.

The Fbomb is let out a lot at sporting events and their are young ears around. The Fa bomb has an entirely different meaning in the UK. Go figure.

Christopher Hitchens said that when all is said and done, England will be most remembered for two contributions to the world:

1 - the game of football
2 - the expression F Off

Just thought I'd throw that out there for no particular reason other than I found it amusing.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

The Fbomb doesn't have direct, hateful connotations towards a specific group of people, like the N-word does. That's why you can say F*** or S*** and some people will cringe, but nobody really cares.

Fa bomb is in there with the N-word. Some people just won't buy that for some reason.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Micro aggression and outrage profiteers looking for blood and a reason to point judgemental fingers at others. It's disgusting.
That's very well put, and something I agree with. People are just trying to find reasons to be bitter these days. It's like they need outrage to feel something. And it happens on both sides, all the time.

You'd think like this would be a minor affair. Check if Rielly did something, if he didn't then that's fine. If he did, then an apology for the mistake and move on. Instead there's apparently an uproar towards Rielly on one side, and a similar overreaction on the other.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The Fbomb doesn't have direct, hateful connotations towards a specific group of people, like the N-word does. That's why you can say F*** or S*** and some people will cringe, but nobody really cares.

Fa bomb is in there with the N-word. Some people just won't buy that for some reason.

You're just killing it ITT by doing not much more than stating the obvious. :thumbu::thumbu:

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Yeah, go set up a league on the basis of "We made this league so you're allowed to say things like Ni**** and Fa*****". That'll look good on you.
That won't be the reason the league exists..but it won't be penalized either. If it bothers you,go play in the more 'civilized 'league.
Seriously,if you're that easily bothered by insults,you've lived a very charming life.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
So who yelled the distincly audible slur?

It doesn't really matter but I'm pretty curious.

No one. People hear something that sounds like it and assume that it what was heard.

there are words and phrases that sound like other words and phrases and when picked up on ice level microphones it is not that easy to hear distinct words. Did you hear Reilly yell "f-ing hook"? I didn't until I put on headphones.

Reactions: cyborg

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I miss a time when nobody wanted to be a victim, today everybody wants to be a victim. Everybody wants to be offended by something. Society walks on eggshells.

Look at shows like Married With Chuldren with Al Bundy during the 80’s and 90’s that would never be allowed to air today and it’s just an erosion of free speech.

Nothing more, nothing less. Welcome to 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->