Confirmed with Link: NHL finds Rielly not guilty

Status
Not open for further replies.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I for one don't buy into the concept of hate speech. I condemn racism and find your examples as to be morally wrong - but I do not wish there to be laws to prevent others from speaking their minds. Free Speech isn't to protect your ability to say "hello" to someone.

Lol. There are no LAWS preventing you from speaking your mind the way you’re implying. But the NHL probably has an anti-discrimination policy which you must follow if you wish to play in THEIR league. Their league, their rules.

Reactions: Alerion

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Really? That's very disappointing. They probably will issue a retraction, in a footnote on page 56 or whatever in a font so small nobody will see it.

NHL investigating anti-gay slur at Lightning-Leafs

. On the audio carried by Sportsnet in Canada, there's a clear anti-gay slur shouted by someone near ice level.

He tweeted it too and also admitted he viewed all of Flintor tweets. It's a joke that it would get posted

Reactions: Gary Nylund

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
It’s a shame Riellys character was besmirched by media and some fans. The accuser(s) stirred the pot and are not held responsible just fade away. Worse still is those who attacked Rielly won’t do the same to gossip makers. Rielly is owed public apologies. This good man should be Captain!
Yup...100% this...bring the 'pot stirrers' to account for false accusation. It's not a small matter...they wasted time,resources and potentially smeared a good mans reputation...pay up!

Reactions: Bronxxx

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Nobody uses those words - but if you complain about the SJW narrative that is thrust down our throats as part of the hockey broadcast - you are called "misogynist" and "bigot" without penalty.

Not sure which words you're referring to. You're wrong though, whatever they are.

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I for one don't buy into the concept of hate speech. I condemn racism and find your examples as to be morally wrong - but I do not wish there to be laws to prevent others from speaking their minds. Free Speech isn't to protect your ability to say "hello" to someone.

But there are no "laws" being applied here. Free speech rights are an agreement between the government and the people, not private companies. The NHL is a private company with its own standards and code of conduct that aims to be inclusive and respect the diversity of its players. Like, where would you draw the line? Do you really think the NHL should just let players call each other the N or F words in order to uphold a right that has no bearing on ice anyways? Even if you think they "should" be able to, do you really honestly think it would be better for the game if it went unpunished? Again...to protect what?

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Glad Rielly is innocent, disgusted that people think there shouldn't have been any investigation. The NHL, like every employer, has a code of ethics and when alleged violations occur it should strive to sort things out. It's 2019, gay slurs are on the same level as racial slurs and should not be tolerated.

Be better.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I honestly didn't care if he got suspended. I don't think we're catching Boston anyway.

But I'm glad he didn't say it all the same.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Pretty soon every curse word people use will have an organization with a hashtag saying that it brings up traumatic memories for them, we will all just walk around mute.

i am afraid a day might come where showing any displeasure for any reason or voicing an opinion would be considered heresay and defamatory.

its almost like the future living would be in a dictator led regime. pretty pathetic where the dictators are the f***ing SJWs

ohhhh sorry SJWs I used the "F" word; Sorry!

:sarcasm:

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
Lol. There are no LAWS preventing you from speaking your mind the way you’re implying. But the NHL probably has an anti-discrimination policy which you must follow if you wish to play in THEIR league. Their league, their rules.
You're absolutely correct.
The concept of anti-discrimination laws is what I find to be immoral.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Nobody uses those words -

Huh? Obviously they do, I'm not sure what you meant by this.

but if you complain about the SJW narrative that is thrust down our throats as part of the hockey broadcast - you are called "misogynist" and "bigot" without penalty.

Well apparently you think "nobody uses those words" so you DO need it thrust down your throat. WTF.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
They have no lives, that's why their sole purpose is to destroy others.

it really is pathetic

and what is disturbing is that the media picks this up from a vocal minority and paints it like it is the "truth"

media needs to show some integrity here and stop acting like a salesman who needs to sell a story whatever the cost

Reactions: CelticDruid

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Of course he didn't say it, was never in doubt. Now can we start talking about what needs to be spoken about and that's how the Leafs didn't show up last night!!!!

Reactions: TakeTheBody

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Some of the same people who said Hoffman was guilty are the same ones here crying about others having quick judgments. Hilarious. Anyways I could never see Rielly being that type of person so good for him to get out of this dumb mess.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The main boards were ripping him to shreds last night, you shuld have seen it.
Think it's fairly telling that I'm not even surprised.

People enjoy thinking they are being oppressed by snowflakes, for some reason I'll never understand.
I was thinking that same thing. You should have seen my private messages after that thread. They talk about toughening up, and then they can't handle a conversation about it without acting like 13-year olds afterwards.

No, that anthem was put in place at a different time, and although I believe we should always recognize everyone, we should not be changing such a historic thing... like a countries anthem. I think many people also share this belief. You think they would change the Russian anthem? or Star Spangled Banner?

Like I said, we live in an overly sensitive time.
Sure, but things always change. That's the nature of our world. I don't think it necessarily needed to be changed for the reasons you mentioned, but I also think a change like that is not worth more than a shrug either.

We had something similar here going actually, except it was tilted the other way. It was Zlatan Ibrahimovic who made a version of our anthem where he exchanged a few words so it said that he wants to live and die in Sweden. It also created a big reaction that I didn't quite get. It just makes sense that a Swedish national anthem actually references Sweden and not just Scandinavia.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mitchy

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Good, case closed. Even if he did I wouldn't get bent though, people say things when angry.

Don't want to live in a paranoid society, amirite comrades?

Reactions: CelticDruid

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Glad Rielly is innocent, disgusted that people think there shouldn't have been any investigation. The NHL, like every employer, has a code of ethics and when alleged violations occur it should strive to sort things out. It's 2019, gay slurs are on the same level as racial slurs and should not be tolerated.

Be better.

I agree that we shouldn't be using those words.

I will say this though. Until those marginalized groups stop using the words to describe each other, this will never go away. For example, just because somebody is gay, doesn't mean he or she should be out using anti gay words towards each other, it does not make it ok.

Those groups should be better, and lead the way with better examples.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
it really is pathetic

and what is disturbing is that the media picks this up from a vocal minority and paints it like it is the "truth"

media needs to show some integrity here and stop acting like a salesman who needs to sell a story whatever the cost

Indeed. This isn't the forum to go into further detail but there will be no integrity ever coming from the media, it's their intent and purpose to inflame these situations.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You think the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms is a bad thing? That’s our Constitution.

(Not that it applies to Rielly, but since you brought it up...)

Ugh, discrimination would be to deny someone service or access. Name calling is a bit different bud lol

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Think it's fairly telling that I'm not even surprised.

I was thinking that same thing. You should have seen my private messages after that thread. They talk about toughening up, and then they can't handle a conversation about it without acting like 13-year olds afterwards.

It's sort of funny how they complain about the world being too sensitive and getting triggered all the time, yet if they catch the slightest wiff of a topic like feminism or racism, they lose their god damn minds.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I was one of the people who cut and pasted a story about this last night. With audio. It was incriminating. I wasn't saying he did it. I was just saying the story is out there. My post was taken down, I understand why and have no problem with it. I'm also very glad Rielly was found innocent of these charges. I do understand the policy here of not having any rumors like that unless it's proven true or false. I won't do it again. Fanatics both good and bad take it and run. It's the world we live in. Sad.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
But there are no "laws" being applied here. Free speech rights are an agreement between the government and the people, not private companies. The NHL is a private company with its own standards and code of conduct that aims to be inclusive and respect the diversity of its players. Like, where would you draw the line? Do you really think the NHL should just let players call each other the N or F words in order to uphold a right that has no bearing on ice anyways? Even if you think they "should" be able to, do you really honestly think it would be better for the game if it went unpunished? Again...to protect what?
Maybe they can have a separate league for players who can take it and another for players who can't take it. Let the cry babies have their own league. Let those who feel they aren't bothered by insults at all have their own league as well.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
I agree that we shouldn't be using those words.

I will say this though. Until those marginalized groups stop using the words to describe each other, this will never go away. For example, just because somebody is gay, doesn't mean he or she should be out using anti gay words towards each other, it does not make it ok.

Those groups should be better, and lead the way with better examples.
I can agree with that. Banish the word altogether.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Sad that anyone is OK with people telling you what words you can and cannot use.

Men gave their lives for Freedom of Speech and you know, sometimes feelings will get hurt - but that's 1000% better than people controlling what you can say or not.

When technology develops to the point where your thoughts can be read - I'm sure there'll be no shortage of people looking to control you based on that as well.

It is all tyranny under the guise of compassion.
Guess youre the type of guy who loves using the N word; here's a cool tidbit to bite on freedom of speech doesnt mean freedom from consequences of your speech. Freedom of speech also does not apply in your work place its a public governance doctrine; show up to work in a KKK hoodie and tell then its freedom of speech you'll be regarded a hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad