Confirmed with Link: NHL finds Rielly not guilty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
Simply put - I don't believe that the Government or the SJW mob has the moral authority to dictate my speech and thoughts.
Don't like it? Tough $hit.
I acquiesced when the example came up that Reilly is working for a company. I can see that point and agree.

Reactions: dsred

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Maybe they can have a separate league for players who can take it and another for players who can't take it. Let the cry babies have their own league. Let those who feel they aren't bothered by insults at all have their own league as well.

Yeah, go set up a league on the basis of "We made this league so you're allowed to say things like Ni**** and Fa*****". That'll look good on you.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Lol. There are no LAWS preventing you from speaking your mind the way you’re implying. But the NHL probably has an anti-discrimination policy which you must follow if you wish to play in THEIR league. Their league, their rules.

That's exactly the same argument people use when Twitter bans people for saying factually correct things like "men aren't women though" and pushing there ideological agenda in a completely arbitrary way

Nobody should trust the government with that much power over what you can say let alone a multinational corporation

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The thing I have most against people being opposed to moving away from using certain words is that it's not exactly something unnatural. Languages change all the time, new words are introduced and old ones fall out of usage. It's just how it works, and it is a change that comes within a lifetime and on the individual level as well. And most of the time a word falls out of usage it's because of dumber reasons than this, like that people can't spell correctly.

Reactions: Mitchy

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Glad Rielly is innocent, disgusted that people think there shouldn't have been any investigation. The NHL, like every employer, has a code of ethics and when alleged violations occur it should strive to sort things out. It's 2019, gay slurs are on the same level as racial slurs and should not be tolerated.

Be better.

I take exception to this. Was he referring to someones sexuality who he knew was gay, or, saying something in anger in the heat of the moment? They are completely different situations.

Calling someone at work a racial term when you are attacking something that is not in their control, and it is visibly that race, is quite different than calling him an a-hole.

Some people want to have a guy suspended, destroy his life for a word, especially spoken in the heat of the moment of competition; but if a guy pounds in the face of another guy he gets to take a 5 minute break in the penalty box.

Which is more of a disgusting position to take? The same league that says "we do not accept language in the heat of battle" are accepting of fights on the ice. Hard hits to the body. Sometimes stick swinging incidents that "don't count" since, the player missed, so he only has a small suspension.

What is worse? An offensive word or getting popped in the mouth?

I'm not condoning what was said, but it's the overkill and pile on, and worse, the hypocrisy. He's human, not a robot. Whoever said it should apologize and explain it happened in the heat of the moment. This investigation and parading of people standing on a soapbox telling the world how bad he is (while they are of course, the second coming of Jesus), is ridiculous. ESPN is hardly even a sports network anymore.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I wouldn't be surprised if there are SJW that still think he said it and that the league making up the story to cover for the Leafs.

I still think that no one said it it is just misheard. Words sound like other words. It's called speaking.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Simply put - I don't believe that the Government or the SJW mob has the moral authority to dictate my speech and thoughts.
Don't like it? Tough $hit.
I acquiesced when the example came up that Reilly is working for a company. I can see that point and agree.

But the government isn’t stopping you from doing any of that. :laugh:

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
Guess youre the type of guy who loves using the N word; here's a cool tidbit to bite on freedom of speech doesnt mean freedom from consequences of your speech. Freedom of speech also does not apply in your work place its a public governance doctrine; show up to work in a KKK hoodie and tell then its freedom of speech you'll be regarded a hero
Those that do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Your "cool tidbit" is about the most overused sound bite ever, btw.

You are the one that is calling me racist. I have clearly stated I find racist behaviour bad in earlier posts and resent your accusations. I wouldn't "show up to work in a sheet" but it's people such as yourself that are violently attacking people showing up to work in baseball hats with slogans on it.

A4T1L6

Feb 10, 2015
Thank goodness no homophobic slur was used by Rielly, I’m happy that type of stuff is not used in our game!

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if there are SJW that still think he said it and that the league making up the story to cover for the Leafs.

I still think that no one said it it is just misheard
There were a few posters claiming this in the main board thread before it was closed.

Reactions: The Apologist

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I take exception to this. Was he referring to someones sexuality who he knew was gay, or, saying something in anger in the heat of the moment? They are completely different situations.
Absolutely. And anyone who isn't just out for blood for its own reasons know that even if it did happen, it was a mistake in the heat of battle. It's not a bad thing that we strive towards being better than that though.

Reactions: Kiwi and Leafsfan74

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The thing I have most against people being opposed to moving away from using certain words is that it's not exactly something unnatural. Languages change all the time, new words are introduced and old ones fall out of usage. It's just how it works, and it is a change that comes within a lifetime and on the individual level as well. And most of the time a word falls out of usage it's because of dumber reasons than this, like that people can't spell correctly.

The sad thing is that sometimes words obtain new meaning because people think they mean something it doesn't, then when enough people start using the word incorrectly, it takes on this new meaning and eventually, that new definition is added to the dictionary legitimizing this error. But I digress ...

Reactions: Matthews34

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010

I still think that no one said it it is just misheard
That's exactly the kind of stupidity that fuels them. Your 100% correct

Reactions: The Apologist

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The sad thing is that sometimes words obtain new meaning because people think they mean something it doesn't, then when enough people start using the word incorrectly, it takes on this new meaning and eventually, that new definition is added to the dictionary legitimizing this error. But I digress ...
Yeah exactly. Well put, Gary.

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON

I still think that no one said it it is just misheard. Words sound like other words. It's called speaking.
A few tweets suggest bribery (mostly from random accounts), people will move on eventually but for now he's not off everyone's hook.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

It's just mind boggling to me that someone can understand why the N word is wrong and never say it, but think Fa***** is ok and everyone is too sensitive these day. WTF?

Frankly, I'm more frustrated by the stupidity of it, then I actually am about the ill-intentions of it.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Try questioning some historical facts on a street corner and see how long it takes you to end up in jail.

Discrimination would be like... The Govt of Ontario does not issue licenses to ________. I don't think you mean discrimination. It's a speech thing.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Virtue signaling, virtue signaling!!

Question for all you fine SJW folks! What is worse? Using a homophobic slur, or issuing a death threat? Because I'm sure Morgan Rielly received a few of those this morning.

Reactions: dsred

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Those that do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Your "cool tidbit" is about the most overused sound bite ever, btw.

You are the one that is calling me racist. I have clearly stated I find racist behaviour bad in earlier posts and resent your accusations. I wouldn't "show up to work in a sheet" but it's people such as yourself that are violently attacking people showing up to work in baseball hats with slogans on it.
Lol hahahahahaha, so youd condone their behavior on basis of "free speech" but wouldn't give them consequences for their actions, youre right history does repeat itself if not learned from. Read up on MLK and you'll understand why your line of reasoning is ridiculous.
Lets think of it like this: there is a gay or lesbian leaf fan who wants to play hockey, he hears his favorite player yell said slur (not saying reilly said it I am on Reilly's side here), how would that child or teen feel? Sometimes its better to just be a good person and not a dick

CarterD

Dec 20, 2018
It's just mind boggling to me that someone can understand why the N word is wrong and never say it, but think Fa***** is ok and everyone is too sensitive these day. WTF?

While I don't think either word should be used, the people running around calling him a bigot are worse than anyone running around saying what he was proven to not say. I just think everyone needs to take a good long hard look at themselves. People are people, treat everuone with respect.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Absolutely. And anyone who isn't just out for blood for its own reasons know that even if it did happen, it was a mistake in the heat of battle. It's not a bad thing that we strive towards being better than that though.

Of course, nobody wants to be swear or be unprofessional. It's the entire production though after the "event". NHL shouldn't address anything, just say, "it's a private matter, we will deal with it behind closed doors". State they don't condone this kind of language.

Whoever said it should man up, but that's just me. I hope Reilly brushes this off, he has a job to do.

My point is obvious, I find it ridiculous, even offensive for the pile on to come from everywhere, including the league. "You can't say this at work, but, if you have a disagreement with a guy you can grab him and pound the hell out of him for all the kids to see. But don't DARE curse in the heat of the moment".

This is just one of many reasons why Western society is going to have a steep hill to climb to maintain liberty and freedom. Micro aggression and outrage profiteers looking for blood and a reason to point judgemental fingers at others. It's disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad