NHL expansion in 2021

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Landy is UFA the summer of 2021. Hoping he'll do a handshake deal with Sakic to re-sign after the X-draft so we can protect an extra forward

Maybe they can choose the option for eight skater protection then. Protect Mackinnon, Rantanen, Jost, Kerfoot, Barrie, Zadorov, Girard, EJ. Landeskog re-signs right after. Makar isn't eligible to be exposed yet.

There are loads of options here.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If the expansion gets approved for 2021... first, don't start Makar's clock until next season.... then, don't worry about it for a couple more seasons. 2021 is a ways off and lots of things can change.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
If the expansion gets approved for 2021... first, don't start Makar's clock until next season.... then, don't worry about it for a couple more seasons. 2021 is a ways off and lots of things can change.

You really think the Avs will be able to resist bringing Makar up when UMass is done this year? Because I don’t.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
You really think the Avs will be able to resist bringing Makar up when UMass is done this year? Because I don’t.
May not have a choice with the frozen four in mid April. ;)

It would be the smartest decision if Makar isn't going to help significantly to end the season. 2-3-4 games isn't worth burning a year and exposing him in 2021 IMO.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
May not have a choice with the frozen four in mid April. ;)

It would be the smartest decision if Makar isn't going to help significantly to end the season. 2-3-4 games isn't worth burning a year and exposing him in 2021 IMO.

I agree with you and I also hope Makar leads UMass as deep into the postseason as possible. But I 100% think Sakic will be there with a contract in hand the night they get eliminated.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I agree with you and I also hope Makar leads UMass as deep into the postseason as possible. But I 100% think Sakic will be there with a contract in hand the night they get eliminated.

Well... he can do that and it can still start in 19-20. :nod:

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Well... he can do that and it can still start in 19-20. :nod:

Lol not expecting it. I didn’t know about the 9 games though, I was under the impression a single game this season removed his exempt status. Maybe they just keep him under the nine games and everyone wins.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Lol not expecting it. I didn’t know about the 9 games though, I was under the impression a single game this season removed his exempt status. Maybe they just keep him under the nine games and everyone wins.

The second he touches NHL ice the contract starts with Makar's age.

Reactions: Ararana

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah, if expansion is announced for the 2021 season you really have to do everything you can to start Makar next year.

We're already likely going to need to protect Timmins once he gets going in the AHL this year. And Girard, and Barrie, and Zadorov, and EJ.

Avs could be a very rare situation where they go 3 Forwards and 5 Defenders. Especially if we get fortunate enough to have a Top 5 pick in the 2019 draft who wont have to be protected. Essentially allowing us to keep 4 Top 6 forwards and 5 Top 4 Defenders.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Changes nothing. Sakic needs to just work on building a team so deep that losing a good player won’t destroy us.

When expansion comes, don’t mess around. Say goodbye to somebody like Barrie/Girard/Zadorov/Jost and get over it. It sucks but there’s nothing you can do about it.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Absolutely not
Why? If he’s our 4th best defenseman at the time he’ll be exposed. I don’t anticipate that being the case but if it is we’ll likely lose him.

Fact is, if Sam Girard is our 4th best defenseman it means we have 3 other top pairing defenseman which means we’re deep enough to take that L.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Changes nothing. Sakic needs to just work on building a team so deep that losing a good player won’t destroy us.

When expansion comes, don’t mess around. Say goodbye to somebody like Barrie/Girard/Zadorov/Jost and get over it. It sucks but there’s nothing you can do about it.

They'll go 7-3, mark my words. They'll protect Barrie, Girard, and Z with Makar being exempt. EJ will be exposed, but a small price will be paid to ensure he isn't picked. The only way I see anything different happening is if Timmins absolutely becomes a rock solid top four on his way to better, but I just highly doubt they are going to have only three forwards worth protecting that far into the future. Even considering the 2019 1st round picks.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Makar cannot play 9 games this season. Its going to be a big problem if he has to be protected.

Yeah no thanks

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The second he touches NHL ice the contract starts with Makar's age.
Thanks for confirming this. That's what I thought. Isn't it the same if he hits the ice in the AHL. I thought to be exempt in 2021 he couldn't become pro at all this season?

Can you confirm Kaut's situation as well? I thought in his case he couldn't hit NHL ice this season. If I am right then the Avs need to keep him down all year.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Good Lord... Good thing Eddie isn't in management. Just lose Barrie or Girard? **** that all the way to Sunday.
Jesus Christ people need to relax. I’m not saying I want to get rid of those guys. That’s in the scenario that they’re our 4th best defenseman. If one of those are our 4th best defenseman what’s the alternative?

It’s cool for everyone to see the names I tossed out there, overreact and say no. But what’s the alternative? Please don’t say trade one of them to another team first or something like that. Then not only do we lose one of those guys, but we also end up losing another valuable guy to expansion.

It’s completrly hypothetical, and most likely those names will never be exposed. What I’m trying to say is that we need to get ourselves to a point where the team is so deep that losing one of those guys proves just how deep and good we are.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I haven't read this thread, but the NHL said it will be the same rules for Seattle as it was for Las Vegas...which probably means we will have to dangle a draft pick or two to make Seattle choose a player. It isn't the end of the world if the pick in 2020 is a 1st, we should be going for glory in those years.

Good for Seattle, just announced they got a team. They're a fantastic sports town which the NHL should've been located in like twenty years ago.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Thanks for confirming this. That's what I thought. Isn't it the same if he hits the ice in the AHL. I thought to be exempt in 2021 he couldn't become pro at all this season?

Can you confirm Kaut's situation as well? I thought in his case he couldn't hit NHL ice this season. If I am right then the Avs need to keep him down all year.

Depends on terminology of the AHL deal... can be a tryout and not impact. Basically Makar's ELC just can't start until 19-20.

Kaut needs to have his contract slide to not be eligible in 2021. So.. upto 9 games.

CE is right... you worry about it when the time comes. 2021 gives the group a lot of time to give clarity on many players. Barrie may or may not be here. EJ might be worth buying out. Z may or may not be here. Timmins may not be worth a lick. There are so many variables that you mainly concentrate on building the best team possible in the meantime. IMO you really only focus on one player not being eligible and that is Makar... and you really only focus on that because it is pretty simple to pull off. Just don't have a rookie step in late in the season/in the playoffs.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Jesus Christ people need to relax. I’m not saying I want to get rid of those guys. That’s in the scenario that they’re our 4th best defenseman. If one of those are our 4th best defenseman what’s the alternative?

It’s cool for everyone to see the names I tossed out there, overreact and say no. But what’s the alternative? Please don’t say trade one of them to another team first or something like that. Then not only do we lose one of those guys, but we also end up losing another valuable guy to expansion.

It’s completrly hypothetical, and most likely those names will never be exposed. What I’m trying to say is that we need to get ourselves to a point where the team is so deep that losing one of those guys proves just how deep and good we are.
Hey, f*** you Eddie, with your words and all that!

28E0fvIhmg9Ke6-AE0HjxofWMsvh3ejgPBfSffbpTKw.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad