NHL expansion in 2021

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
My understanding is since Kaut signed his contract when he was 19, if he plays 9 or less NHL games this year his ELC slides and he doesn't have to be protected. If Makar signs and plays at all this year he burns a year of his ELC and will have to be protected.
I could be wrong so don't hold me to this lol.......... Pretty confusing for sure
Kaut ELC could slide for an extra year until free agency but if he plays more than 70 NHL games over the next 2 years , after this year , and plays more than 40 games , 2 years after this one so 2020-2021,
He would need to be protected.

Its likely he plays more than 40 the 20-21 season or a combined 70 the next 2 I would think.

So basically Makar and Kaut are likely going to need protection so play them when they are ready. Probably no confusion with them. If Timmins maybe gets a full year AHL next year and under 40 NHL the following year all good

Not having to protect Landy (FA) and Johnson (partial NMC) could be huge .

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Why is it that Kaut has to play at least 10 NHL games to be exposed in 2021 but if Makar plays even 1 he's exposed?

Er wait. Is it because signing from college and playing this season would burn 1 year off immediately?

18 and 19 year old AHLers with a slide are specifically exempted on the professional seasons requirement. When the ELC starts, their counter starts. Similar to professionals in Europe too... their professional season counter doesn't start until under a SPC that is active and not sliding.

Kaut ELC could slide for an extra year until free agency but if he plays more than 70 NHL games over the next 2 years , after this year , and plays more than 40 games , 2 years after this one so 2020-2021,
He would need to be protected.

Its likely he plays more than 40 the 20-21 season or a combined 70 the next 2 I would think.

So basically Makar and Kaut are likely going to need protection so play them when they are ready. Probably no confusion with them. If Timmins maybe gets a full year AHL next year and under 40 the following year all good

Not true... you are confusing with having to have certain types of players eligible to be picked. Those requirements are out there so teams have to have some draft eligible players for Seattle to pick that fit that criteria.

Quick rule of thumb (and not 100%), if the ELC is active in 21-22, the player isn't eligible for selection.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
18 and 19 year old AHLers with a slide are specifically exempted on the professional seasons requirement. When the ELC starts, their counter starts. Similar to professionals in Europe too... their professional season counter doesn't start until under a SPC that is active and not sliding.

Not true... you are confusing with having to have certain types of players eligible to be picked. Those requirements are out there so teams have to have some draft eligible players for Seattle to pick that fit that criteria.

Quick rule of thumb (and not 100%), if the ELC is active in 21-22, the player isn't eligible for selection.

Ahh ok so those requirements wouldn't matter to a player on an ELC then ?
Avs might not be in a bad spot after all then , right on

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Ahh ok so those requirements wouldn't matter to a player on an ELC then ?
Avs might not be in a bad spot after all then , right on

Basically yeah. It isn't a 100% rule, but mostly works.

IMO the Avs are actually in a really good spot. The defensive decision should be very clear by 2021, and any depth that would have to be given up should be absorbable.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
We should do a Detroit and keep Makar/Kaut/whoever else necessary in the minors long enough to avoid having to protect them in this.

Reactions: Nihiliste

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I agree that the Avs are in a very good spot for the XD but this is true only if the Avs keep Makar and Kaut exempt. 2020 would have been even better as Timmins and would also have been exempt. Francouz as well if I'm not mistaken. However 2021 could end up being a very good thing as it takes Landy, Gru and Cole to FA which means they would not be required to be protected. I doubt Landy and Gru wait to sign though as it is too dangerous for a major injury and end up with no contract after the XD. 2021 will also give us a better picture on EJ.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I agree that the Avs are in a very good spot for the XD but this is true only if the Avs keep Makar and Kaut exempt. 2020 would have been even better as Timmins and would also have been exempt. Francouz as well if I'm not mistaken. However 2021 could end up being a very good thing as it takes Landy, Gru and Cole to FA which means they would not be required to be protected. I doubt Landy and Gru wait to sign though as it is too dangerous for a major injury and end up with no contract after the XD. 2021 will also give us a better picture on EJ.
Francouz? Guy will be like 31 by the time this expansion draft rolls around and possibly back in Russia.

Avs shouldn’t be holding back good players for fear of losing someone in the XD. If it happens, it happens.

Reactions: Pokecheque

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Francouz? Guy will be like 31 by the time this expansion draft rolls around and possibly back in Russia.

Avs shouldn’t be holding back good players for fear of losing someone in the XD. If it happens, it happens.
Francouz will be 31 if the XD is in 2021 so 30 in 2020. I was talking about 2020 XD in his case.

If postponing a couple of players a handful of games means a more competitive team in the future, sign me up. We are not talking about holding them back a full season here. As a GM you have to keep thinking long term. Would a handful of games at the NHL level help these guys for the next season and help the team short term? Yes. But could it hurt the team long term? Absolutely. The future of the team needs to come first.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
Francouz will be 31 if the XD is in 2021 so 30 in 2020. I was talking about 2020 XD in his case.

If postponing a couple of players a handful of games means a more competitive team in the future, sign me up. We are not talking about holding them back a full season here. As a GM you have to keep thinking long term. Would a handful of games at the NHL level help these guys for the next season and help the team short term? Yes. But could it hurt the team long term? Absolutely. The future of the team needs to come first.

Especially since we aren't contending in 2 years at the earliest.

On the other hand it feels better to might lose an impact player than to protect a waiver pickup.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm still reading through the Athletic's mock drafts, at least a couple of them think P.K. Subban is Seattle-bound.

Makes a lot of sense... Nashville's future contract situation, strength on defensive prospects, entering his mid 30s with known back issues, 1 year left on his contract....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->