NHL expansion in 2021

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Eh...the only reason the Avs didn't get burned in the last one is because they were coming off their worst-ever season and had a garbage roster beyond the players they chose to protect. I wish they would've had it in 2020, but alas, they'll probably lose one good player. They should be able to mitigate whatever the loss ends up being...unless it's a goalie, which will really suck.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Hopefully UMass goes deep in the Frozen Four. As long as he doesn't play 9 games this season, it'll give us one more player we won't need to protect, which is always a good thing.

At the moment it looks like Landy, Mack, Rants, Girard, Zadorov, Barrie are the players that are close to a lock. Obviously 3 years is a long time, but it means we'll only have two more protection slots if we want to protect another defenseman.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
It may work on our favour of we can sign Varly and then have the contract taken off our hands.

That's assuming Grubauer can become a starter

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Hopefully UMass goes deep in the Frozen Four. As long as he doesn't play 9 games this season, it'll give us one more player we won't need to protect, which is always a good thing.

At the moment it looks like Landy, Mack, Rants, Girard, Zadorov, Barrie are the players that are close to a lock. Obviously 3 years is a long time, but it means we'll only have two more protection slots if we want to protect another defenseman.

So what is the rule there? Wouldn't 19-20, 20-21 be two pro seasons?

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
You have to imagine they'll hold him out of a few games to get him down to 9 this season. No way to protect all of Girard, Barrie, Z, Makar and EJ (auto-protected).

Last edited:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Ya, 2017 rules was 2 pro seasons and under are exempt.

Ok, I thought once they hit two pro seasons they were no longer exempt. I had it backwards.

One thing I don't understand is EJ having to be protected. From what I understood last time the player had to have a full NMC. If they had a partial no trade, and a NMC saying they can't be sent to the AHL then they could still be exposed. Ryan fell into that category if I remember correctly. I mean he has to list 19 teams, that isn't even as stringent as some other modified NTCs with like 8 and 10 team lists.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Might as well start getting used to the idea of losing a good young player now. We have three years to prepare for that inevitability.

Reactions: shadow1

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Ok, I thought once they hit two pro seasons they were no longer exempt. I had it backwards.

One thing I don't understand is EJ having to be protected. From what I understood last time the player had to have a full NMC. If they had a partial no trade, and a NMC saying they can't be sent to the AHL then they could still be exposed. Ryan fell into that category if I remember correctly. I mean he has to list 19 teams, that isn't even as stringent as some other modified NTCs with like 8 and 10 team lists.

Ya i'm not quite sure about that either. I think we might be able to waive him in that situation?

Either way, hopefully he's still playing at a decent level where we won't want to waive him.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Ya i'm not quite sure about that either. I think we might be able to waive him in that situation?

Either way, hopefully he's still playing at a decent level where we won't want to waive him.

I think he'll still be a good player, but I doubt he'll be one of the three best defenders.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Waaaaaaay to early to definitively say, but for arguments sake...

Landeskog
Mackinnon
Rantanen
Jost(Kerfoot?)

Barrie
Girard
Zadorov
Makar

If we legitimately have a valuable player worth keeping beyond those ones(And it's definitely possible that between Kerfoot, Kaut, Compher, Timmins, EJ, etc. that we have a couple valuable guys), then we just offer Seattle a pick like a 2nd rounder to not take certain guys or a 1st rounder for them to take a specific player(Like a Nieto or something like that).

Reactions: Tommy G

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Dreger needs to clarify his comment of "begin play" in 2021.

If he means begin play in the 2020-2021 season, that means the expansion draft would be in June 2020, which is what we've all been expecting.

My assumption, however, is he means begin play in 2021-2022.

Reactions: wayninja

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
EJ is auto protect? If so the situation with him more dire then I thought. Need to explore trading him sooner then I thought.

Cobra says a partial NMC is exposed. This needs to be clarified by the league.

Playing in 21 surely means 2021-2022

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
Waaaaaaay to early to definitively say, but for arguments sake...

Landeskog
Mackinnon
Rantanen
Jost(Kerfoot?)

Barrie
Girard
Zadorov
Makar

If we legitimately have a valuable player worth keeping beyond those ones(And it's definitely possible that between Kerfoot, Kaut, Compher, Timmins, EJ, etc. that we have a couple valuable guys), then we just offer Seattle a pick like a 2nd rounder to not take certain guys or a 1st rounder for them to take a specific player(Like a Nieto or something like that).
I agree if it comes to having too many players that need protection then I'd much rather give up a draft pick to get them to take a bad contract from us and it's a double win for the Avs, keep our good players and get rid of a bad contract.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Remember when we wanted Vegas to take Söderberg? Good times
Thank god they got blinded by the beauty of Picks.

To many details are unknown at this point. Lets see what they say tomorrow. I have to imagine that the expansion draft rules will be very similar to Vegas'

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Cobra says a partial NMC is exposed. This needs to be clarified by the league.

Playing in 21 surely means 2021-2022

Yeah I just remember it wasn't clear regarding Ryan for Ottawa for a while, and they ended up able to expose him. I know for a fact that partial NTC were able to be exposed. Full NMCs were not however unless they waived the right.

There are some guys who have full NMCs and some just have the M-NTC tag with a number of teams list, where guys like Ryan and EJ have both tags. I think the NMC tag in that case addresses being sent to the minors only.

Byzantium

Jun 17, 2017
Landy is UFA the summer of 2021. Hoping he'll do a handshake deal with Sakic to re-sign after the X-draft so we can protect an extra forward

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Landy is UFA the summer of 2021. Hoping he'll do a handshake deal with Sakic to re-sign after the X-draft so we can protect an extra forward

If Landy is showing no signs of slowing down he should be re-signed a year early. Which I think is possible because hes not nearly as physical as some of these other power forwards that are falling off at 31/32. Hes changed his game quite a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad