Prospect Info: NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread - Looking Ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
@SeaOfBlue

I have a feeling Robins will go before the 4th. He seems to fit a lot of what we like. Undervalued due to size, but has a great work ethic and compete combined with skill. Granted he is a late-birthday. I won't be heartbroken if we miss on him though. To be honest, figuring out this draft is a gongshow. I really do wonder how many teams lists leak if teams are cheap and don't renew contracts before June 30th.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
@SeaOfBlue

I have a feeling Robins will go before the 4th. He seems to fit a lot of what we like. Undervalued due to size, but has a great work ethic and compete combined with skill. Granted he is a late-birthday. I won't be heartbroken if we miss on him though. To be honest, figuring out this draft is a gongshow. I really do wonder how many teams lists leak if teams are cheap and don't renew contracts before June 30th.

Didn't I say that? I said he was not worth our 2nd, but rather is in the mix of many guys who are great value in the 3rd round. He may drop to our 4th because there are a number of guys in that 3rd round who deserve to go there, so a few are almost certainly going to drop, but he's not guaranteed to be one of them.

He's undersized, he's not really "elite" at anything (good enough to be a 2nd or 3rd liner, but not a top liner or anything), and when you look at his 2018/2019 stats when he was only 2 months younger than Robertson (where Robertson went in the mid-late 2nd round), Robertson had double the points and triple the goals despite playing on a much weaker team in a more difficult league.

If I wanted Robins, I would trade down like 15 spots, get another 3rd rounder in return, and then select Robins in the 60's. If he goes earlier than that, it's not good value anyways.

I think at this point, unless there are a bunch of reaches and a player from a higher tier drops, trading down looks like the most appealling option for the Leafs.

buch7717

Jun 22, 2020
I’d really like one of Grieg neighbours colangelo in the second ideally in the 4th I think we should take a chance on Alex Cotton he checks a lot of boxes on the backend for us size is good at 6’2 can move the puck well good defensively but needs some work he’s a point per game dman in the WHL but the thing I like most about him is he’s a big game and big moment player.:.. numerous times this season he either scored or set up the game winning or game tying goal late in games when Addison Cozens and Okuliar we’re gone for the Canes in the playoffs Cotton ramped it up a notch and was still over a PPG and played the big minutes that needed to be filled by Addisons absence. Even go back to the 2019 playoffs when the canes lost to Calgary in 7 cotton played his best hockey of the year in that series. Might’ve been drafted last Year had he seen more ice. People see his numbers in Junior and they automatically think of Andrew Nielsen but Nielsen couldn’t skate as well as Cotton.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I just read the draft rules. Why is the NHL doing this now, why don’t wait till the so called playin round is over before doing the lottery.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I just read the draft rules. Why is the NHL doing this now, why don’t wait till the so called playin round is over before doing the lottery.

They are doing it in two parts. I guess they figured if only the eliminated teams are out, it gives them an extra month to do more due-diligence about who to select.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If we were to grab a late 1st if we liquidated one of the middle tier 3M forwards...Mavrik Bourque am I right?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
If we were to grab a late 1st if we liquidated one of the middle tier 3M forwards...Mavrik Bourque am I right?

Depends. 1) He may not make it to the late first, especially with the lack of quality after the top 15. I mean I would take him in the teens or early 20's at this point, even though he is more of a late 1st kind of talent. 2) He's undersized and needs more strength. 3) His skating is not amazing, especially for a guy his size.

Otherwise, sure.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Depends. 1) He may not make it to the late first, especially with the lack of quality after the top 15. I mean I would take him in the teens or early 20's at this point, even though he is more of a late 1st kind of talent. 2) He's undersized and needs more strength. 3) His skating is not amazing, especially for a guy his size.

Otherwise, sure.

I think the biggest issue is him actually being there. 5'10 isn't bad...and I think we could clean up the skating which isn't bad but could be better :)

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I think the biggest issue is him actually being there. 5'10 isn't bad...and I think we could clean up the skating which isn't bad but could be better :)

I think that just says that it probably would be better just to try and acquire a 2021 or 2022 1st instead. Bourque should be available after the top 25 but he likely won't be.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think that just says that it probably would be better just to try and acquire a 2021 or 2022 1st instead. Bourque should be available after the top 25 but he likely won't be.

Pretty rare for a 1st rounder a couple years away (2022) to be traded right? Short of an offer sheet.

I am just starting to catch up on this draft...reading and watching videos on prospects. Bourque was super intriguing to me.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Pretty rare for a 1st rounder a couple years away (2022) to be traded right? Short of an offer sheet.

I am just starting to catch up on this draft...reading and watching videos on prospects. Bourque was super intriguing to me.

He is one of the more intriguing guys in this draft, but if you were to average him out across all of the drafts, I would personally have him in the late 20's/early 30's. He is great value there and could turn out well (like all late 20's/early 30's prospects), but also has a fair amount of risk too of course.

In this draft, he's likely taken in the teens/early 20's, and that is probably fair given the alternatives, but just based on average it would be a bit of a reach.

Besides, if we trade Johnsson or Kerfoot, we are likely getting a 2nd and another pick in return. I wouldn't trade Kapanen. Especially not for a 1st in this draft (unless it was top 15). It would either be for a future 1st + another pick, or in a package for a great, young NHLer.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Anybody have any info on mammoth goalie Hugo Ollas? He's 6'8" and played on the Linkoping U-20 team this year that was first in their division.

Seemed to have a rough year with an .895 SV% while his partner put up a .922. His numbers previously with the U-18 and U-16 teams were fantastic but I'm wondering if some flaws got exposed this year playing with the older kids.

I don't see many of the games in this league.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
So,,, we got a 50/50 chance of advancing past Columbus,,, and if not,,, a 12.5% chance at LaFreniere.

Edit: Even his rookie contract would screw up our salary cap though.... LOL!!!

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
So,,, we got a 50/50 chance of advancing past Columbus,,, and if not,,, a 12.5% chance at LaFreniere.

Edit: Even his rookie contract would screw up our salary cap though.... LOL!!!

So it's not looking bad even in the worst case, but let's win.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Imagine if we actually won the Lafreniere lottery pick. That would anger some folks.

You cant imagine the rage I am witnessing from my Detroit Red Wing fan brothers. It's their own fault though, they made a bad choice long ago.....

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
You cant imagine the rage I am witnessing from my Detroit Red Wing fan brothers. It's their own fault though, they made a bad choice long ago.....

oh yes i can but screw them for the 90's and 2000's they had sustained success far too long about time they get the shit end of the stick.. i know half a dozen red wing lifers that have been fans over 40 years and they are screaming

Reactions: Monsieur Gustave H
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad