Prospect Info: NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread - Looking Ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuncanMacpherson

Apr 6, 2010
He's a future winger. Not a D man.

I would call him a poor mans Jake Gardiner. His defense is atrociously bad. Ryan Merkley bad.
I agree with the Merkley comparable. Merkley is a good prospect who San Jose chose to draft in the same range we are picking. Merkley is a project that may still turn into a great defenceman.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I've stood next to Marner in skates and he was barely over my 6' tall
Dermott used to be listed between 5'10- 5'11". ...havent seen many people grow in their 20's same with Nylander

It does happen more often than people think, especially to those who did not have major growth spurts in their teens like I did. I probably grew a good 2 inches after 18/19 years old.

Marner certainly does not look 6'0" though. I would not be surprised if I am the same height as him when he is not in skates and I am like 5'10"-5'10.5" without shoes on.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Height measurements are typically inaccurate. That's why I measure people's heights by eye level. Above that, I could care less if you have a bigger forehead or a hairstyle that gives you artificial height. If you claim to be 6'0" and I am at eye-level to you at 5'10"-ish, then you are not 6'0" tall unless you have a freakishly large forehead.

People fudge height all the time, and then usually they get measured in shoes which adds close to another inch to their height (some may account for it, while others do not). A lot of these hockey players have hairstyles that also adds height even when they try to account for it all. At the end of the day, they probably don't care about being particularly accurate, and it should not really matter for a guy like Marner. It's not like Marner would play any differently at 5'10" than he would at 6'0". I would care more about goalies and defensemen than I would forwards.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I've stood next to Marner in skates and he was barely over my 6' tall
Dermott used to be listed between 5'10- 5'11". ...havent seen many people grow in their 20's same with Nylander
The same can be said of most hockey players. I've stood beside many who are shorter than what they are listed, so not really sure what difference? Also never understood people's obsession with height? Every year the top players list is full of guys who aren't tall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->