Prospect Info: NHL Entry Draft Discussion Thread - Looking Ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
It's a win-win for the Leafs this season. They get past Columbus it's past the 1st round for the first time since 2004. We lose it's a 1/8 chance for another 1st overall.

Reactions: Menzinger

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
So if we win do we trade the right to draft #1 and Lafreniere? Do we trade Marner? Nylander?

Personally I hold a "Lindros" lottery and let teams offer a haul of players/picks/prospects.
I'd also call Columbus and see if they'd bite on the #1 pick for Seth Jones plus a little cap filler to make it fit ... yes I would. A future Norris candidate #1RHD horse would be worth the #1 pick in my books, at least with our current roster construction

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So if we win do we trade the right to draft #1 and Lafreniere? Do we trade Marner? Nylander?

Personally I hold a "Lindros" lottery and let teams offer a haul of players/picks/prospects.
I'd also call Columbus and see if they'd bite on the #1 pick for Seth Jones plus a little cap filler to make it fit ... yes I would. A future Norris candidate #1RHD horse would be worth the #1 pick in my books, at least with our current roster construction

I think theyd draft him and deal witth a potential trade before he finished his ELC (of him or one of the other core forwards) . Its not something that would have to be decided on the draft floor

Reactions: ACC1224

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

I think you hold onto everyone until an offer that knocks your socks off comes around. Montreal would offer a ridiculous package for Lafreniere.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
An excellent result for the Leafs.

Happy to see Detroit get screwed too (sorry Wings fans). But as far as tank jobs go, that was too blatant

I think it goes well as long as Laf goes to a West team or the Habs.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Hurricanes have chance to win No. 1 pick in 2020 NHL draft | Raleigh News & Observer

In the draft lottery, the seven teams not involved in the postseason had the best odds of landing in the top 3. Had all three spots been filled by those teams, it would be over.

Not so, though. The eight qualifier losers were designated “placeholder” teams for the lottery draft. Now, one of them has won the No. 1 pick and Phase 2 of the draft lottery must be held after the qualifying rounds are completed.

All eight losers will have a 12.5 percent chance of winning the right to select forward Alexis Lafrenière of the Rimouski Oceanic in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, considered the consensus No. 1 pick this year.

As for Carolina, there is a twist to the first round.

The Canes acquired the Toronto Maple Leafs’ first-round draft pick in the 2020 draft in the Patrick Marleau trade last year. But that would change if the Leafs lose their qualifier and win the No. 1 pick. Under conditions of the trade, the Leafs’ pick is protected if it’s a top-10 selection. The Canes then would get the Leafs’ 2021 first-round pick.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017

Keep them all for at least 3 years and obliterate teams with our offense.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Team E literally had just a 2.5% chance at first overall. That's gotta piss off Wings and Sens fans.

The best possible outcome we could have possibly asked for though. Talk about a win-win :).

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
We’re beating Columbus.

But man, our LW would be stacked to the high heavens to match the C and RW.

Lafreniere - Matthews - Nylander
Robertson - Tavares - Marner

Mouth watering.

That would definitely be the best top 6 in the league. It also gives the Leafs a true checking line with Hyman and Kapanen on the wings on the third line.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's a win-win for the Leafs this season. They get past Columbus it's past the 1st round for the first time since 2004. We lose it's a 1/8 chance for another 1st overall.

Like the attitude but no...even if they beat Columbus they only won the playoff round, if they lose to a team after CBJ then it will show as a 1st round playoff exit historically.

Reactions: Rob Brown

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
I haven't been following the Matthews - Simmons - Covid news but from what I gather, if Matthews does have it, he may be missing some games against the Blue Jackets and underperforming in others. The thing takes a bite out of you plus it can leave you with permanent lung damage due to scarring. There's also a story of an athlete that was advised to NOT work out because he needed to recover first - could Matthews's situation be similar? Losing your top center just like that may impact your ability to compete, never mind the rust. It could very well influence how the games play out.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
The series against Columbus is not the first round. It's a play in round.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Canes 2020 first-round scenarios: Post-Phase 1

If both Carolina and Toronto lose in the qualifying round, and neither win the lottery, Toronto’s pick will become Carolina’s, ranging from 12th to 15th. The same scenario applies if Carolina wins its play-in and Toronto loses theirs and doesn’t win the draft lottery.

If both lose the qualifying round and Toronto wins the draft lottery, then the Leafs keep their pick and Carolina’s pick goes to New York, leaving them without a first-round pick in 2020.

If both lose the qualifying round and Carolina wins the draft lottery, then the Canes keep the first-overall pick and Toronto’s pick is sent to the Rangers.

If both teams win, the team that advances further will send their pick to New York and if both are eliminated in the same round, the Canes keep Toronto’s pick and send their own to the Rangers.

If play does not resume

This is all still relying on play resuming and apparently there are scenarios for if it doesn’t. According to Bob McKenzie, if play doesn’t resume, it is assumed that the 9-12 seed of each conference...

• 12E. Montreal Canadiens

• 11E. New York Rangers

• 10E. Florida Panthers

• 9E. Columbus Blue Jackets

• 12W. Chicago Blackhawks

• 11W. Arizona Coyotes

• 10W. Minnesota Wild

• 9W. Winnipeg Jets

… would be the eight teams represented for the Phase 2 drawing for the first-overall selection with the same equal odds that would have been used for the teams that didn’t advance in the qualifying round. In this case, Carolina would pick 19th with Toronto’s pick and send their own (23rd) to the Rangers.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

The play-in round is not considered the playoffs but rather qualifying for them, the playoffs officially begin after the play-in series are complete. Leafs have to beat CBJ & win their next round #1 also to make your "first time since 2004" to be true.

Leafs have only 3 options this year in combo with the draft pick.

1) Play-in Win = Playoffs, and No 1st round pick (but Stanley Cup opportunity)
2) Play-in Loss = No playoffs and No 1st round pick
3) Play-in Loss = No playoffs but 1st overall pick (with lottery win).

Reactions: hockeywiz542
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad