GDT: NHL entry draft 7/23 & 7/24

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
@tsujimoto74 are you planning a prospect poll soon or closer to the season?

I was thinking I'd do it after camp. At least after rookie camp, maybe after training camp. I think it's better that way than right after the draft because (1) it lets the fan base get an up close look at the prospects and compare them directly; and (2) if an Eichel trade is coming this summer, our prospect pool is going to have a bunch of new names added between now and the start of the season.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
In the end they decided that at 176 lb Eklund was a good 10 lb over their ideal draft pick weight and decided not to trade up.

but they could have put him in a diet and helped Terry’s food budget

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
but they could have put him in a diet and helped Terry’s food budget
When they interviewed him he was asked if he would be willing to amputate a limb to lose weight. He said no. Someone in the background was heard muttering, "obviously this player does not want to be here".

Reactions: debaser66

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Sabres sought "players who want to be here", so possibly went with longshots who will be happy to play for Buffalo.
Eh, that sounds more like their roster player approach to me. Post-draft, Forton did touch on some of the draft approach I was looking for in a recent Athletic article: “There was an emphasis in our organization the past year and a half or so to really get deeply into looking at some of the Russian and Czech Republic players,” said Forton, who noted that Sabres scout Frank Musil saw the players in person while he and others watched video. “The analytic data out of the Russian leagues is very advanced and very accurate from our perspective, so all that gave us a comfort level.”

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Eh, that sounds more like their roster player approach to me. Post-draft, Forton did touch on some of the draft approach I was looking for in a recent Athletic article: “There was an emphasis in our organization the past year and a half or so to really get deeply into looking at some of the Russian and Czech Republic players,” said Forton, who noted that Sabres scout Frank Musil saw the players in person while he and others watched video. “The analytic data out of the Russian leagues is very advanced and very accurate from our perspective, so all that gave us a comfort level.”

The Forton press conference was really interesting. It definitely seems like Adams changed the organizational approach to scouting Eastern Europe.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

I agree with the grand strategy. Particularly as it relates to Czech hockey; their programs seem to be on something of a rebound.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I agree with the grand strategy. Particularly as it relates to Czech hockey; their programs seem to be on something of a rebound.
This all goes back to Kim Pegula talking about the importance of clear honest communication from people they trust. Kevyn told her the bolded, she heard it instead as "the check bounced", and directed Kevyn to go with a youth movement so there's enough money to fuel the yacht.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012

I wonder if that guy has an opinion of his own or if he is just lining up in the media consensus to not step on anybodies toes.
Is that Montreal kid a good player or not.
Not to defend what he did and he should be punished by the law accordingly. but that moral prosecution of media and even the prime minister of an underager is a bit iffy.
Redemption seem to be a thing of the past, should he rot in hell forever for the one mistake he made?
this handling is even more despicable than the actual act.

Last edited:

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
I wonder if that guy has an opinion of his own or if he is just lining up in the media consensus to not step on anybodies toes.
Is that Montreal kid a good player or not.
Not to defend what he did and he should be punished by the law accordingly. but that moral prosecution of media and even the prime minister of an underager is a bit iffy.
Redemption seem to be a thing of the past, should he rot in hell forever for the one mistake he made?
this handling is even more despicable than the actual act.

In no way is the handling more despicable than the actual act. (Assuming you mean the act of the kid, which is a sex crime, and not Montreal drafting him)

And I think a lot of the hate is less towards the kid and more toward Montreal for drafting a kid that said not to draft him who was going through something like this and making him a first rounder to boot. Montreal could have EASILY avoided creating this circus but they have and that’s on them to deal with.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
This was a different kind of draft for the Sabres. They had a lot of picks and took some swings for the fences. They also tried to project where players would be in a few years instead of only looking at their most recent stats. Frank Musil will either become a hero or another wreck on the boulevard of broken dreams.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
This was a different kind of draft for the Sabres. They had a lot of picks and took some swings for the fences. They also tried to project where players would be in a few years instead of only looking at their most recent stats. Frank Musil will either become a hero or another wreck on the boulevard of broken dreams.

I hope Musil learned from his Edmonton drafting when he was a scout for them over in Europe. They had a lot of misses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad