GDT: NHL entry draft 7/23 & 7/24

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Do you think these are all best player available or did they focus on forwards after taking Power? You only need 6 or 7 D compared to twice the number of forwards and they seem to be okay in the defence department. At least in terms of where loading up on forwards and hoping a couple develop into NHLers around the time your D is peaking.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
WHL guy...and a center!...looks like he played a pretty depth role on a pretty good team. Sure.

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Do you think these are all best player available or did they focus on forwards after taking Power? You only need 6 or 7 D compared to twice the number of forwards and they seem to be okay in the defence department. At least in terms of where loading up on forwards and hoping a couple develop into NHLers around the time your D is peaking.

They took high ceiling players imo. They needed to stock pile the forward prospect cabinet and they’ve done an unreal job in just this draft. Also got Novikov who is a decent D late in the 6th. Great draft overall.

Reactions: yahhockey

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
My ideal draft:

1. Matthew Beniers - C
14. Jesper Wallstedt - G
33. Logan Stankoven - C/RW
53. Jack Peart - LD
88. Dylan Duke - LW
95. Jack Bar - RD
97. Justin Janicke - W
159. Peter Reynolds - C
161. Jake Martin - RD
188. Lorenzo Canonica - C/LW
193. David Gucciardi - LD

Overall I did like most of the picks though and the direction they took. Solid feeling from this draft which is something I haven't said in years

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Super happy. Not a single issue with any of these picks. I feel like we added some talent today and yesterday. The two Russians in the second as well as Rosen will be fun to track over the years. It was hard seeing guys like Wallstedt, Stankoven, Raty, and Pinelli available with 14 and 33 but I really like the guys we took.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

I'm not sure that they intentionally focused on forwards. I think they took the guy with the highest ceiling and most skill at each pick, floor be damned.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Was this draft approach foreshadowed? I haven't watched/listened to any media availability in quite some time from this organization.
Sabres sought "players who want to be here", so possibly went with longshots who will be happy to play for Buffalo.

Don’t worry, Cozens, Mitts, and Quinn will be fine.

:sarcasm:
No love for Cody Eakin? Wait - nevermind.

Stranger than the Russian aspect the fact that they're all undersized is odd. I get sometimes that can point to a late bloomer or get a guy overlooked but we're drafting really light it seems
Pegulas seeking to save money on food.

“If I take enough Russians maybe they’ll be distracted and won’t ask me about the trade return”
and

Josh Bloom? Weird name for a Russian
You're killing it today... ;)

Good Lord, their sum total age looks to be under 40yo.

Sabres take Tyson Kozak to finish out the draft. Don’t really know much on this guy
Shortened his name from Tysonavitch Kozakstan. All you need to know.

Reactions: Team Cozens

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Give Adams credit for accumulating picks. Botterill couldn't resist the urge to trade picks to fill the bottom of the lineup. The Sabres only had 5 picks last year and 6 the previous two. You can't go full Penguin on the draft unless you have an established team that's trying to fill pieces of the puzzle. Looks like Adams/Karmamos are using the Carolina philosophy. Despite having no first rounder they drafted 13 players.

Buffalo Sabres Draft History at hockeydb.com
Pittsburgh Penguins Draft History at hockeydb.com
Carolina Hurricanes Draft History at hockeydb.com

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it's just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
RoundOverall PickNamePositionHeightWeight
12Matthew BeniersCenter6-1175
235Ryker EvansDefenseman5-11189
367Ryan WintertonCenter6-2175
499Ville OttavainenDefenseman6-5221
5131Jacob MelansonRight Wing5-11190
6163Semyon VyazovoiGoaltender6-2169
7195Justin JanickeLeft Wing5-11185
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

What do you guys think of the Kraken's draft? They draft an American every year. ;)

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Give Adams credit for accumulating picks. Botterill couldn't resist the urge to trade picks to fill the bottom of the lineup. The Sabres only had 5 picks last year and 6 the previous two. You can't go full Penguin on the draft unless you have an established team that's trying to fill pieces of the puzzle. Looks like Adams/Karmamos are using the Carolina philosophy. Despite having no first rounder they drafted 13 players.

Buffalo Sabres Draft History at hockeydb.com
Pittsburgh Penguins Draft History at hockeydb.com
Carolina Hurricanes Draft History at hockeydb.com
I agree. They also need to develop and hit on these draft picks. Look at the last time we drafted 11 picks in 2013. Not a single one of those players are with the Sabres organization. 3 of those players have been traded for players and draft picks. We got Hagg for this season.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this about our draft.

During the first rebuild it seems that the Sabres wanted to draft centers (and move them to wing if needed. This year they were taking mostly skilled wingers.

Reactions: Hawkman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad