GDT: NHL Entry Draft 2019 - June 22nd - Round 2 - NHLN

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I understand you also have to do well in trades, but drafting is where it all starts. You draft good, those players may bring you the pieces you need to go to that next level. Ask any GM and they will tell you that the teams that draft well usually do well. Out of the sixteen players you just listed, eight were drafted by the Blues. That's pretty damn good. I guess in the end we agree.:)

The way your comment came across was that the draft is a means to where 14/16 players have to be drafted by the team, and that we are almost saying screw free agency or trades, we will just be able to internally build the team through the draft. If that was not the context taken, then my bad.

The other component is that 8 of the 16 were drafted by STL, but outside of Tarasenko and Perron, what players were "major" pieces to the puzzle? Schwartz and Thomas were 0.52 ppg and 0.47 ppg in regular season.

MacEachern, Blais, Barbashev, and Fabnri combined for 173 out of a possible 328 games played for those players. Doesn't look quite as impressive anymore, eh?

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Personally hoping Pod falls to us. Outside of that, would love Caufield. I have a love affair with Byram but doubt that happens. Not super enamored with Newhook, who most scouts have us picking. I'd take Krebs if it happens and be happy. I'd also take Zucker, but probably not Kreider unless he says he's going to re-sign here.

I'll put $5 down on Chayka taking Suzuki, since that would be a classic Chayka move.

TeamTourigny

Formally TeamTurris & TeamTippet & TeamTocchet
Jan 16, 2007
Vegas
Given the new(er) offer sheet compensation schedule I kind of think they should trade this year pick and get an additional 1st and maybe 2nd? for next year and go heavy after a RFA here. The franchise needs some real on-ice success asap. An $8 -$10m offer sheet means a 1st, 2nd & 3rd for next year, plus a 1st in 2021. $6.3m-$8.4 means just a 1st and a 2nd from next year.

Reactions: Mosby

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If Podkolzin falls due to being Russian, I’d be thrilled to draft him. If Krebs falls due to injury, I’d be thrilled to draft him. If Caufield falls due to being short, I’d be thrilled to draft him. If Boldy falls due to late risers overtaking him, I’d be thrilled to draft him. Newhook wouldn’t really be considered a faller at 14, but I’d be thrilled to draft him too. If BPA is a G, a D, or Brink or Kaliyev or Tomasino or Lavoie at 14, I’d rather just trade down. Maybe Pittsburgh will become desperate and take 14+45+Westerlund for Kessel+21 - haha! It’s Draft Day morning! Overjoyed delusions must be forgiven!!!

rt

May 13, 2004
Given the new(er) offer sheet compensation schedule I kind of think they should trade this year pick and get an additional 1st and maybe 2nd? for next year and go heavy after a RFA here. The franchise needs some real on-ice success asap. An $8 -$10m offer sheet means a 1st, 2nd & 3rd for next year, plus a 1st in 2021. $6.3m-$8.4 means just a 1st and a 2nd from next year.
Brayden Point would be my only offersheet target. The Callahan news probably squashed the 0.53% chance we had of that happening though.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
The way your comment came across was that the draft is a means to where 14/16 players have to be drafted by the team, and that we are almost saying screw free agency or trades, we will just be able to internally build the team through the draft. If that was not the context taken, then my bad.

The other component is that 8 of the 16 were drafted by STL, but outside of Tarasenko and Perron, what players were "major" pieces to the puzzle? Schwartz and Thomas were 0.52 ppg and 0.47 ppg in regular season.

MacEachern, Blais, Barbashev, and Fabnri combined for 173 out of a possible 328 games played for those players. Doesn't look quite as impressive anymore, eh?

Don't forget their defense and goaltending too, though. I would say that as much as anything... they were a big reason for St Louis' success. Core contributors on that front (Pietrangelo, Parayko, Dunn, Edmunson, Binnington) Also, Schwartz was definitely a major player for their playoff success with 20 points (12 g)... Why ignore that? He had an off regular season for his standards but came through in the playoffs.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Don't forget their defense and goaltending too, though. I would say that as much as anything... they were a big reason for St Louis' success. Core contributors on that front (Pietrangelo, Parayko, Dunn, Edmunson, Binnington) Also, Schwartz was definitely a major player for their playoff success with 20 points (12 g)... Why ignore that? He had an off regular season for his standards but came through in the playoffs.

Yes, and apologies that I didn't include defense and goaltending in there. I do think that it is interesting that Chayka may have already been following some of that model. Since defense can take longer to develop, use a lot of late picks on those players and see what develops. Pietrangelo, Parayko, Dunn, Schmaltz, and Edmundson were all drafted by STL. Schmaltz and Pietrangelo were the only 1st rounders developed by STL - Pietrangelo was taken top 5 and Schmaltz at 25. Everyone else was after pick 45, in terms of STL self-developed players.

Goalies are an interesting case, just because there is a lot of development that goes on there.

Personally, I think the emphasis in a draft is always the first 60-100 picks. Grab the talent there and then maybe you find someone beyond that. Just look at all of the failed picks in the top 100 of the Coyotes history, relative to recent picks. But internally developing players isn't a 100% necessity. Finding quality players to where you can upgrade to more developed players also plays a part in the age of salary cap and free agencym

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Yes, and apologies that I didn't include defense and goaltending in there. I do think that it is interesting that Chayka may have already been following some of that model. Since defense can take longer to develop, use a lot of late picks on those players and see what develops. Pietrangelo, Parayko, Dunn, Schmaltz, and Edmundson were all drafted by STL. Schmaltz and Pietrangelo were the only 1st rounders developed by STL - Pietrangelo was taken top 5 and Schmaltz at 25. Everyone else was after pick 45, in terms of STL self-developed players.

Goalies are an interesting case, just because there is a lot of development that goes on there.

Personally, I think the emphasis in a draft is always the first 60-100 picks. Grab the talent there and then maybe you find someone beyond that. Just look at all of the failed picks in the top 100 of the Coyotes history, relative to recent picks. But internally developing players isn't a 100% necessity. Finding quality players to where you can upgrade to more developed players also plays a part in the age of salary cap and free agencym

I do hope that the Yotes can hit on some of these later draft picks (historically haven't done that much) because it would certainly help this team out and give them some options. That's one of Chayka's favorite things, too... optionality! haha. At this point I'd really just take success no matter which round it comes in.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I do hope that the Yotes can hit on some of these later draft picks (historically haven't done that much) because it would certainly help this team out and give them some options. That's one of Chayka's favorite things, too... optionality! haha. At this point I'd really just take success no matter which round it comes in.
Yup, and that is probably why Chayka changed up his scouting dept.

rt

May 13, 2004
Its been eerily quiet...
I know. Saw quotes from multiple GMs this week saying the level of contact and communication has been unprecedented. That there is just so much going on. Doug Wilson who’s as a respected veteran GM as has ever existed, said its the busiest and most communicative period of his career. Yet...

...crickets...

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I know. Saw quotes from multiple GMs this week saying the level of contact and communication has been unprecedented. That there is just so much going on. Doug Wilson who’s as a respected veteran GM as has ever existed, said its the busiest and most communicative period of his career. Yet...

...crickets...

Dale Tallon was quoted the other day essentially saying he expects the first two picks to go as everyone predicts and then all hell breaks loose after that.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I've read that teams are holding off on doing anything until the PA approves the new cap. I don't know if I buy that because they all already know what it is, it isn't like the PA is going to reject it.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

You're gonna need a new screen name ;)

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Its been eerily quiet...

As fun as fireworks would be, I think I'd rather just make our pick and save the cap for Duchene. Dollar for dollar trades work though.

I've read that teams are holding off on doing anything until the PA approves the new cap. I don't know if I buy that because they all already know what it is, it isn't like the PA is going to reject it.

Same. We're talking a difference of 500k here. That shouldn't hinder anyone's flexibility.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
As fun as fireworks would be, I think I'd rather just make our pick and save the cap for Duchene. Dollar for dollar trades work though.

Idk, id say our chances of actually landing Duchene are like %10-%15. I wouldn't bet on that being our primary focus move.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Any possibility we just took Soderstrom to dinner as a smoke screen?
Maybe he's just a good conversationalist.
No, I don't believe it was a smoke screen. Nor do I believe that he is our #1 target. The team was curious about him, as he might end up BPA. That's all.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The more I think about it, at the deadline Chayka was talking about how we're loaded with young defensemen. Maybe we go forward after all.

I am pretty positive that Florida is going Knight, FWIW.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Florida needs a goalie now. How does Knight help them now? I think there is zero chance Knight gets drafted by Tallon. If I'm wrong I'll eat my hat.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It sounds like they will sign Bobrovsky and draft Knight.

I don't know where that leaves Knight in a few years. Maybe they limit the Bob contract to 5 or 6 years.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I would offer the Oilers a 3rd conditionally moving to a 2nd if Puju plays for us in the playoffs.

Reactions: Mosby

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Dreger is saying Oilers want a 2nd for Puju.

Gah this is tempting. Would our two thirds get it done instead? I don't know where he fits in the lineup if we keep Fischer though but it sure would be nice to hit a homerun on another team giving up on a prospect instead of being on the opposite side of the scenario.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I look at it as: Is Puljujarvi worth more (or, a better player than) than the guys we have ranked at 45th overall? I'd say yes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad