GDT: NHL Entry Draft 2019 - June 22nd - Round 2 - NHLN

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Trade down for picks to Colorado so they can take the goalie. Pick up a pick or 2 on the process.

Trade gally for Kreider (do we need to take Shattenkirk at a 50% retention to make this work)

Trade 1st (ideally a 2nd and Fish) for Zucker

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Galchenyuk and Fischer (or a 2nd) for Krieder.

Our first goes out in a Kessel or Kadro trade.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Cap will be announced tomorrow. It's going to be 81.5 or 82 even. One of those two. No in between.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Historically, the #14 pick hasn't been good or bad, in terms of player quality. Boston seems to do well with it, getting McAvoy and Debrusk. Outside of those two, the decade hasn't had great picks at #14.

If Newhook, Krebs, or Boldy is available, one of them should be our pick. Anyone else, I am not 100% sold on.

If Soderstrom or Seider is a pick, I think that Oesterle could be one of the potential players moved out in a larger deal. Kreider for Fischer/Oesterle would be an option if we take a RHD. Still leaves room to pursue Duchene and deal Hossa to come in under the cap, but it will be very close on that front.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Why not just re-sign Galchenyuk?
if I was Galchenyuk, I'd have zero interest in resigning with the team that left me with Archibald centered by Kempe late last season after saying they needed C depth and scoring -- oh, and I was one of the top goal scorers and can play C...

Conversely, that tells me that staff doesn't really see him as a good fit.

So move on and get a North American player for Tocchet.

Without that context, sure, I like him a lot. I'd be thrilled to keep him.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
I'm hoping for Podkolzin, Krebs, Boldy or Newhook (in that order) at #14. Please be Podkolzin. We can't screw up his development. He just shows up in two years ready to play.

Last edited:
Reactions: CLW and Mosby

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Hold on to the first! Don't trade it for Zucker or Kessel lol. Resign Gally and hold on to your valuable stuff for better things if the chances come along.

Guess we will see what happens but I really don't want this team to go "all in" by trading young assets for older ones... especially with the current coaching staff/gm combo. They haven't earned enough trust from me to shape this team. If they made the playoffs or showed more success I'd be more forgiving... but the last 2 seasons (even with the injuries) have been a mixed bag at best imo.

I go with the boom or bust at 14 because drafting is the actual cheapest way to get superstar talent on a team. UFA is second because you have to over pay to get them.

When looking at the Coyote's draft history (no coincidence they've struggled) we don't really need to see another year in there that they don't have a first round pick...especially in deep drafts. It's been killing this team for years and years.

Just my opinion though... I'll still hope for the best in any scenario. Got no other choice haha.

Reactions: Name Nameless

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I'm hoping for Podkolzin, Krebs, Boldy or Newhook (in that order) at #14. Please be Podkolzin. We can't screw up his development. He just shows up in two years ready to play.

Yes, Podkolzin is another player to add to the list at #14. Honestly, those 4 are the only players that fit the bill of "might be available" and "players to take."

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
if I was Galchenyuk, I'd have zero interest in resigning with the team that left me with Archibald centered by Kempe late last season after saying they needed C depth and scoring -- oh, and I was one of the top goal scorers and can play C...

Conversely, that tells me that staff doesn't really see him as a good fit.

So move on and get a North American player for Tocchet.

Without that context, sure, I like him a lot. I'd be thrilled to keep him.
I agree. Chucky was treated like dirt, yet he was our best forward last year. I wonder if the new owner has any input on what Chayka is doing?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Hold on to the first! Don't trade it for Zucker or Kessel lol. Resign Gally and hold on to your valuable stuff for better things if the chances come along.

Guess we will see what happens but I really don't want this team to go "all in" by trading young assets for older ones... especially with the current coaching staff/gm combo. They haven't earned enough trust from me to shape this team. If they made the playoffs or showed more success I'd be more forgiving... but the last 2 seasons (even with the injuries) have been a mixed bag at best imo.

I go with the boom or bust at 14 because drafting is the actual cheapest way to get superstar talent on a team. UFA is second because you have to over pay to get them.

When looking at the Coyote's draft history (no coincidence they've struggled) we don't really need to see another year in there that they don't have a first round pick...especially in deep drafts. It's been killing this team for years and years.

Just my opinion though... I'll still hope for the best in any scenario. Got no other choice haha.
You build a good team through the draft. We could be in cap hell and we don't have one super star player.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
You build a good team through the draft. We could be in cap hell and we don't have one super star player.

Yep, just look at the St. Louis Blues roster:

Steen - drafted by Toronto
ROR - drafted by Colorado
Tarasenko - drafted by STL
Schwartz - drafted by STL
Schenn - drafted by LA
Bozak - drafted by Toronto
Perron - drafted by STL
Thomas - drafted by STL
MacEachern - drafted by STL
Thorburn - drafted by Buffalo
Maroon - drafted by Philadelphia
Barbashev - drafted by STL
Fabbri - drafted by STL
Blais - drafted by STL
Sanford - drafted by Washington
Sundqvist - drafted by Pittsburgh

While drafting has its place, I think that you are overstating the importance of the draft to build teams. Some of the players with significant contributions weren't necessarily drafted by STL. Then you have players like Perron, who were drafted in STL, but left, only to eventually return via free agency and/or trades.

O'Reilly cost STL Berglund (drafted by STL), Sobotka (drafted by PIT), and Thompson (drafted by STL), plus two future pick.

The truth of the matter is that the draft is exactly how Chayka analyzes it - we are taking players for their talent, knowing full well that they may or may not play in Arizona. That talent needs to continue as a pipeline to allow the team to make trades that pursue an O'Reilly or a Johansson, like the SCF teams. I think the draft gives you the means to supplement your roster not so that these players all don the Coyote sweater, but so that we have all tools at our disposal to obtain the best fits, even if the draftees don't turn out to be the best fits in the end.

There is a reason why the Coyotes were often involved in secondary trades - there was little drafted talent that could turn into better players. There is a reason why trades like Sean O'Donnell for Joel Perrault and Werek for Lindberg occurred - we had limited talent to bring in better pieces.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Great comment on the Kreider thread on the Trade and Rumor board:

"He has all the tools, but can't find the tool box"

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Great comment on the Kreider thread on the Trade and Rumor board:

"He has all the tools, but can't find the tool box"
That would be a cute quote, except that it’s not based in reality. He’s played 460 NHL games and is what he is. He’s averaged 24g/82gp in his career. I guess he found a good enough tool box to fit enough of his tools to be knocking on the door of 500 NHL games played at an extremely high level (24g/82gp). Players with no toolbox don’t put up 20+ goals year after year in the NHL.

Reactions: _Del_

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yep, just look at the St. Louis Blues roster:

Steen - drafted by Toronto
ROR - drafted by Colorado
Tarasenko - drafted by STL
Schwartz - drafted by STL
Schenn - drafted by LA
Bozak - drafted by Toronto
Perron - drafted by STL
Thomas - drafted by STL
MacEachern - drafted by STL
Thorburn - drafted by Buffalo
Maroon - drafted by Philadelphia
Barbashev - drafted by STL
Fabbri - drafted by STL
Blais - drafted by STL
Sanford - drafted by Washington
Sundqvist - drafted by Pittsburgh

While drafting has its place, I think that you are overstating the importance of the draft to build teams. Some of the players with significant contributions weren't necessarily drafted by STL. Then you have players like Perron, who were drafted in STL, but left, only to eventually return via free agency and/or trades.

O'Reilly cost STL Berglund (drafted by STL), Sobotka (drafted by PIT), and Thompson (drafted by STL), plus two future pick.

The truth of the matter is that the draft is exactly how Chayka analyzes it - we are taking players for their talent, knowing full well that they may or may not play in Arizona. That talent needs to continue as a pipeline to allow the team to make trades that pursue an O'Reilly or a Johansson, like the SCF teams. I think the draft gives you the means to supplement your roster not so that these players all don the Coyote sweater, but so that we have all tools at our disposal to obtain the best fits, even if the draftees don't turn out to be the best fits in the end.

There is a reason why the Coyotes were often involved in secondary trades - there was little drafted talent that could turn into better players. There is a reason why trades like Sean O'Donnell for Joel Perrault and Werek for Lindberg occurred - we had limited talent to bring in better pieces.
I understand you also have to do well in trades, but drafting is where it all starts. You draft good, those players may bring you the pieces you need to go to that next level. Ask any GM and they will tell you that the teams that draft well usually do well. Out of the sixteen players you just listed, eight were drafted by the Blues. That's pretty damn good. I guess in the end we agree.:)

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
That would be a cute quote, except that it’s not based in reality. He’s played 460 NHL games and is what he is. He’s averaged 24g/82gp in his career. I guess he found a good enough tool box to fit enough of his tools to be knocking on the door of 500 NHL games played at an extremely high level (24g/82gp).
I like him and think he'd be a great fit here.....checks many of the boxes of what we need: size, speed, toughness, ability to score in tight areas, etc.

He has a solid resume and has the tools to be a 35 goal player.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Not Coyotes related but it sounds like one deal we could see today is Alex Nylander for Jimmy Vesey. Classic change of scenery deal.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I like that for Buffalo unless the Rags flip him to Toronto for something nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad