GDT: NHL DRAFT | Saturday, June 25th, 8am MT (NHLNET, SN) | Round 2-7

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Very interesting. So they were prepared to take a guy 5'11" with their first pick, and 5'9" with their second. Further evidence that they're not obsessed with big players.
I agree with that however it is important to mention that the first is an already very well built 5'11" who did fantastic at the combine, and the second might only be 5'9" but he is a very stocky, strong 200lbs.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
No longer obsessed I think is accurate.

Personally I think the more accurate way to look at it is they thought those players with size were better than the other players on board at the time. Same with the smaller players they picked. Size maybe helped them think they were better, but it plays a role in the NHL so it should be valued.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Personally I think the more accurate way to look at it is they thought those players with size were better than the other players on board at the time. Same with the smaller players they picked. Size maybe helped them think they were better, but it plays a role in the NHL so it should be valued.

I agree. I think they focused on adding size overall to the organization early on, even at the expense of some other traits. I think that now they are more comfortable with the balance, and with another change in the league dynamic to speed and smarts (skill has always been needed), they are now working on upgrading there.

I still think they will trend higher on the size factor, but I don't think it is a priority anymore

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I agree. I think they focused on adding size overall to the organization early on, even at the expense of some other traits. I think that now they are more comfortable with the balance, and with another change in the league dynamic to speed and smarts (skill has always been needed), they are now working on upgrading there.

I still think they will trend higher on the size factor, but I don't think it is a priority anymore

I think that's true. I think those first couple drafts they saw a hole in the prospect pool and tried to fill it with a couple picks they wouldn't normally make. After that things got more balanced they went back to a more normal approach.

I think Anderson looks like a throwback to their previous plan, but it's more that their new plan is to make sure they take different styles of players. That was Roy's biggest criticism of how Pracey ran the drafts prior.

They appear to have a BPA approach on their first two picks, and then target groupings of certain styled players and make sure they get one of the best of each grouping in their view. That's probably why someone like Anderson went high with other guys on board.

They wanted another big tough D man in the pool and since they took forwards with their first two picks, and didn't have a 4th rounder, if they didn't take that D man in the 3rd, their options would be much worse in the 5th. So they just made sure covered their bases on that style even if it was a reach.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I think that's true. I think those first couple drafts they saw a hole in the prospect pool and tried to fill it with a couple picks they wouldn't normally make. After that things got more balanced they went back to a more normal approach.

I think Anderson looks like a throwback to their previous plan, but it's more that their new plan is to make sure they take different styles of players. That was Roy's biggest criticism of how Pracey ran the drafts prior.

They appear to have a BPA approach on their first two picks, and then target groupings of certain styled players and make sure they get one of the best of each grouping in their view. That's probably why someone like Anderson went high with other guys on board.

They wanted another big tough D man in the pool and since they took forwards with their first two picks, and didn't have a 4th rounder, if they didn't take that D man in the 3rd, their options would be much worse in the 5th. So they just made sure covered their bases on that style even if it was a reach.
First pick I agree but with their second pick they were clearly targeting a goal scorer with Mascherin and Morrison which indicates to me that they were more filling a need with this one without deviating too much from BPA. Just my opinion.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
First pick I agree but with their second pick they were clearly targeting a goal scorer with Mascherin and Morrison which indicates to me that they were more filling a need with this one without deviating too much from BPA. Just my opinion.

I'm not sure the fact they were both goal scorers precludes the BPA approach though.

For whatever it's worth, Hepple did sum up their first two picks saying, "it was two forwards to start the draft, which is fine...you know what, it was the best players for us available."

https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/video/post-draft-alan-hepple/t-277437098/c-44299803

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
So I've been busy the last few days. Was following along on my phone until the 3rd round Saturday but was at the Play On street hockey tourney. Anyway, in the middle of the street hockey tournament everyone is chatting and saying look over there. Nathan Noel is excitedly looking at his phone as it blows up after one of his street hockey games. Seemed as though he had been drafted and all of his close buddies are there cheering him on. With that his phone rings, it's Stan Bowman to confirm the news and welcome him to the Hawks. Was a pretty cool moment.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
So I've been busy the last few days. Was following along on my phone until the 3rd round Saturday but was at the Play On street hockey tourney. Anyway, in the middle of the street hockey tournament everyone is chatting and saying look over there. Nathan Noel is excitedly looking at his phone as it blows up after one of his street hockey games. Seemed as though he had been drafted and all of his close buddies are there cheering him on. With that his phone rings, it's Stan Bowman to confirm the news and welcome him to the Hawks. Was a pretty cool moment.

That is pretty cool, I had seen he was drafted

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad