GDT: NHL DRAFT | Saturday, June 25th, 8am MT (NHLNET, SN) | Round 2-7

AVS1819

Apr 4, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
I love the Jost selection! For me it was either Keller, Sergachev or him that I thought was realistic and that I would have been thrilled with.

For Morrison I think he has a real chance to be a solid scoring winger with some jam to his game. I was shocked by his scoring numbers in the USHL which is a low scoring league. His points per game as a 17 year old were 1.1. Pretty close to Kyle Connor's 1.3 per game in his 17 year old USHL season. Anderson unfortunately looks like a throw away pick that they seem to do every draft year. There were so many better options at that point. Barron looks like an excellent 7th round option who could breakout next year. I always love guys who are described as having a "non stop motor". Werner and Clurman seem like guys with good potential relative to where they were taken.

Jost A+
Morrison A-
Anderson D
Werner B
Clurman B
Barron A-

Biggest shocks to me were that Zach Sawchenko and Jacob Neveu didn't get picked. Sure would love to see both get camp invites

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Sawchenko is going to Nashville's rookie camp so they get an excellent goalie prospect for free. Also two very knowledgeable people on my twitter feed are having an insightful discussion into the reason why Sawchenko is undrafted. Size appears to be the main issue which really pisses me off. Also team representatives are claiming that Sawchenko is too loose in his stance when moving around the crease which is bollocks. Sawchenko is going to go into Nashville's camp and make everyone look stupid as hell.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Sawchenko is going to Nashville's rookie camp so they get an excellent goalie prospect for free. Also two very knowledgeable people on my twitter feed are having an insightful discussion into the reason why Sawchenko is undrafted. Size appears to be the main issue which really pisses me off. Also team representatives are claiming that Sawchenko is too loose in his stance when moving around the crease which is bollocks. Sawchenko is going to go into Nashville's camp and make everyone look stupid as hell.

Yeah I'm a little pissed about that pick as well.

I wish we would use having a famous top level goalie coach as an asset to draw some of these guys in for camp invites. Why is Nashville getting him to their camp and not us?

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

AVS1819

Apr 4, 2002
Calgary
Visit site

About the same size as Pickard and pretty much exact same size as Carter Hart. Every time I watched him I came away impressed. If Nashville gets him for free that is an absolute steal for them

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Yeah I'm a little pissed about that pick as well.

I wish we would use having a famous top level goalie coach as an asset to draw some of these guys in for camp invites. Why is Nashville getting him to their camp and not us?

I'm not intelligent so I'll guess the Avs didn't bother to throw him an invite.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm not intelligent so I'll guess the Avs didn't bother to throw him an invite.

I just don't get it...

With Roy and Allaire, why are we not focusing on being a extremely strong goalie development team?

Yeah they are not the most valuable asset out there, but hell... You pick these guys in the later rounds, develop them for a few years and get solid 1st/high second round picks for the good ones. That's one of the few assets we have in our organization.

You'd also think that with Roy's impact on our Cup wins, our organization as a whole would put a bit of an emphasis on goalie development. We should understand more than most how important it is.

Then add in the **** show we watched after Roy retired.

We've got the talent and the system to be very strong in an area that not a lot of teams succeed in. I wanted a goalie with our third pick personally, but I also wanted D with our 10th O/A... The defense didn't fall to use so I get it, but at that pick we're all calling it a C,D,F right now. I bet that wouldn't be the case had we picked Sawchenko

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I just don't get it...

With Roy and Allaire, why are we not focusing on being a extremely strong goalie development team?

Yeah they are not the most valuable asset out there, but hell... You pick these guys in the later rounds, develop them for a few years and get solid 1st/high second round picks for the good ones. That's one of the few assets we have in our organization.

You'd also think that with Roy's impact on our Cup wins, our organization as a whole would put a bit of an emphasis on goalie development. We should understand more than most how important it is.

Then add in the **** show we watched after Roy retired.

We've got the talent and the system to be very strong in an area that not a lot of teams succeed in. I wanted a goalie with our third pick personally, but I also wanted D with our 10th O/A...

I wonder how close we were to taking Colton Point if he wasn't picked by Dallas earlier. The goalie development system we have is actually top notch. No complaints since Allaire and JIF were brought on board. They turned Pickard into a possible starting goalie after he floundered without any help his first two seasons. Also they are going all-in on Martin's development in the AHL this season.

Problem is there are only so many spots in the pro system that you have to stagger arrivals of your goalie prospects. With the Avs taking Werner I really hope they invite at least one CHL goalie to rookie camp. I'm still in the camp that Pajpach needs to be replaced in the non-pro system for the Avalanche.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
With so many good goalies going undrafted that's why I said the other day they shouldn't use a higher pick on one. The one I liked last year went undrafted and signed in a camp.

Could the Avs invite more to camp? Yes. But there's two issues there. One, they barely have an on ice camp as it is. So it's going to be a little tough to make an impression at an Avs camp. Two, the Avs have to be willing to sign someone from a tryout and considering they slow play their own top prospects I wouldn't count on it. Also, considering how many kids attend these camps, the success rate isn't all that high.

I wouldn't say the Avs don't care about goalies, they keep drafting them. Just because they aren't the CHL guys doesn't mean they are neglecting the position. Martin is a top prospect in the system in general, seriously I think he might be the best prospect we have in SA next year. I know they need goalies at different development stages but that's what they are doing here. The whole Berra thing happened in the first place as ocd insurance, I don't think they are just going to leave the system thin on goalies. Who knows who they might sign to fill out the depth chart.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Im happy with the draft. I have to admit, the only guy I have seen from our picks is Jost, but I was so so so so happy when we got him.

Morrison sounds like a very good pick also. Everything I have been reading about him is good and the things he brings to the table are things Avs are lacking at this moment.

Not gonna comment about later picks because I have nothing new to bring, except that I hated the Anderson pick and have a very positive Nantel feeling about Barron.

So, size clearly isnt the only thing that matters anymore, no matter what some here still say (I get it, its mostly humour). Jost was our pick. Hepple said they targeted two guys in the second round and got another one of those two. According to him, the other they had in mind went two spots before Morrison, and that guy is Adam Mascherin, who is 5'9" (weight is 192 lbs tho).

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008

Well they only get him if they offer him a contract. I can't see Nashville going from not even drafting him in the 7th to signing him to an ELC a few months later. This move could give Nashville an inside track on signing him in the future though.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Well they only get him if they offer him a contract. I can't see Nashville going from not even drafting him in the 7th to signing him to an ELC a few months later. This move could give Nashville an inside track on signing him in the future though.

I can see it. Once they get him on the ice their management will realize what a wonderful opportunity has fallen into their laps.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Good goalies are only going undrafted because teams are too stupid to draft them in the first place.

You're obviously a lot more of a goalie expert than most people around here, but it seems to me the reason less goalies go drafted is more about teams consistent complete inability to know how to draft goalies so a lot more are going the route of not using a pick and instead hoping to strike in the undrafted FA market. Maybe that's what you meant about being too stupid to draft them but for once it seema like a situation where they know they're too stupid to draft them properly so they go this route instead.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You're obviously a lot more of a goalie expert than most people around here, but it seems to me the reason less goalies go drafted is more about teams consistent complete inability to know how to draft goalies so a lot more are going the route of not using a pick and instead hoping to strike in the undrafted FA market. Maybe that's what you meant about being too stupid to draft them but for once it seema like a situation where they know they're too stupid to draft them properly so they go this route instead.
Nobody wants the next Jack Campbell.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Nobody wants the next Jack Campbell.

18 of the 30 starters in the league were drafted in the first three rounds. There are only three undrafted starters in the league. 10 starters in the league came from the first round. Oh and goalies bust at the same rate as players in the early rounds. So in other words NHL GM's are morons if they believe the goalie myths out there.

I have strong opinions on goaltending....doesn't make me an expert though :laugh:
If I'm understanding your post correctly then I'm agreeing with you. I'm getting a feeling that teams just aren't trying with their goalie scouting. There are so many ridiculous myths out there that a GM can say they didn't draft a goalie because they take so long to develop that you can just trade for a goalie in their early 20's and it's the same as drafting a goalie. I don't buy it though. If you just want to look at their SV% and GAA then yeah you're going to have trouble knowing what the goalie can be. Goalies are not voodoo even if goalies sometimes like to float the myth themselves.

Last edited:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
18 of the 30 starters in the league were drafted in the first three rounds. There are only three undrafted starters in the league. 10 starters in the league came from the first round. Oh and goalies bust at the same rate as players in the early rounds. So in other words NHL GM's are morons if they believe the goalie myths out there.

I have strong opinions on goaltending....doesn't make me an expert though :laugh:
If I'm understanding your post correctly then I'm agreeing with you. I'm getting a feeling that teams just aren't trying with their goalie scouting. There are so many ridiculous myths out there that a GM can say they didn't draft a goalie because they take so long to develop that you can just trade for a goalie in their early 20's and it's the same as drafting a goalie. I don't buy it though. If you just want to look at their SV% and GAA then yeah you're going to have trouble knowing what the goalie can be. Goalies are not voodoo even if goalies sometimes like to float the myth themselves.

Do you think more GMs (and indirectly coaches) don't have the patience due to the development time to burn early picks?

I feel like everything GMs do is trending towards the 3-5 year window as they often are going to be evaluated in the mid-term results and less on the long term outlook

e: I see you ninja'd me there lol

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Hepple's post draft interview stated that one of the two guys they wanted in the second round went two sports right before they picked and that was Adam Mascherin so I guess they were targeting a goal scoring winger there, that's a player I like too.

https://www.nhl.com/video/post-draft-alan-hepple/t-278867534/c-44299803?q=nhl+draft

https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/video/post-draft-alan-hepple/t-277437098/c-44299803

I think Hepple said other guy they targeted in 2nd round went two picks before here, so that'd be Mascherin.

Very interesting. So they were prepared to take a guy 5'11" with their first pick, and 5'9" with their second. Further evidence that they're not obsessed with big players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad