GDT: NHL DRAFT | Saturday, June 25th, 8am MT (NHLNET, SN) | Round 2-7

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Funny that two of the teams that jumped up did it to draft Tage Thompson and Logan Stanley, two guys generally ranked to go in the 2nd round and with some serious questions about them being potential busts.

DeBrincat, Howden, Asplund, Laberge, Abramov, Benson, Bitten, Clague, and Katchouk highest ranked players on average left.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
wowzers - part 2 already ! Love the banter here :)

FB can play second pairing minutes, he just can't have those 24-25 minute a night games consistently like we rode him this year. EJ should be 24+ a night, Barrie was already over 23 a night. Most teams don't call it a magic button, they just call it good development of top young players. Zadorov and Bigras are 21 and have experience now - it is not foolhardy to think between both, one of them steps up next year. Yes, I'd still like another solid top 4 guy but our cap situation sucks and I'd rather not overpay yet again

Also it's a little disingenuous to say Sakic has failed to improve the blueline three years running...he got FB last year and despite his second half slow-down, he was a big addition to the blueline. And this off-season hasn't even really started yet.

I'm of the firm belief that Bigras should be nowhere near the top team next year. Needs LOTS of development (and I know many disagree).

Zadorov is an entirely different matter. I think he is workable.

RE: Blueline, looking at goals against. We were 8th worst overall this season. 10th worst the season before. 18th worst (or I'd actually call that 12 best) the season before that. That's regression year on year since they got here.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Gah. I keep forgetting about expansion. That's got to have a huge impact on not only every team this summer but deals made during next season and especially at the trade deadline.
Yes those are options but why take the chance of putting yourself in a situation where you have to make a bad trade just to fill an expansion requirement. You already have a guy on your roster that is an adequate 3rd pair. You know what you have in him so might as well keep him. The other solution is banking on Gelinas to play enough games this year to reach 70 games. That is also risky.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
So with Avs pattern of going forwards with their first pick and defensemen with their second pick, who is a pick at #40?

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
So who's our guy we hope drops now? Kunin?

I dunno a good player is definetely gonna be available to us at 40th because Borgstrom who was rated later got taken and thankfully other teams took Stanley and Thompson.

Dahlen, Hajek, Johansen, Grundstrom, Mascherin, Clague, Bitten, Benson, Bramov, Katchouk, DeBrincat...good chance one of these 11 guys falls to us.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
wowzers - part 2 already ! Love the banter here :)

I'm of the firm belief that Bigras should be nowhere near the top team next year. Needs LOTS of development (and I know many disagree).

Zadorov is an entirely different matter. I think he is workable.

RE: Blueline, looking at goals against. We were 8th worst overall this season. 10th worst the season before. 18th worst (or I'd actually call that 12 best) the season before that. That's regression year on year since they got here.

Our group of forwards is getting worse defensively every year though too imo and that doesn't help. It's not purely a blue line talent issue - it's an issue of team defense, puck possession, poor utilization of what we have, etc.

I put it more on coaching than on Sakic at this point. FB was one of the better gets in the UFA market last year and dealing a star forward is easier said than done especially when our offensive metrics have declined even more drastically to the point where they aren't much better than the defensive ones. And there is more immediate defensive help on the way in the system than scoring line offensive help (Z, Bigras vs Rants and not much else).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad