GDT: NHL Draft Lottery Phase 1 - June 26th - 8PM ET - NBCSN/NHLN/Sportsnet/TVAS

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
That doesn’t make sense. I’m a Habs fan and we’re playing the Penguins. In a regular season, if Pittsburgh happened to miss the playoffs, they are still eligible to win the lottery and pick #1. How is this any different? Any team not making the playoffs can win the lottery in any given season. It’s been like that for years.

Doesn’t make sense? How many times has what you’re suggesting actually happened

turbine

Jan 5, 2006
Love it!

Glad to see NJ and Buffalo not move up. NJ for obvious reasons. Buffalo because they're a shit show and don't deserve to be rewarded for it.

It would've been nice to see Detroit pick 1st though. They needed Laf.

For every analyst or commentator that said this was a disaster, there were 10 others that love it. This was the optimal outcome. Lots of buzz. Lots of intrigue.

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
Someone posted the idea of having a bottom 10 teams gunning for #1 overall pick rather than 5 teams that just missed the playoffs by a few points. I agree for one following reason: late March/early April is their "playoffs" in late stage of regular season and gaining experience out from it and learning not to have a slow start next season or have a weak finish due to collapse and injuries woes. Bottom 10 teams most often don't have anything to play for except for their pride and GM secretly hoping for tanking. So I would do two things to prevent tanking and improve lottery system:

First of all, I would weight odd heavily to top 5 and small percent to rest of bottom 10. Should 15th place teams won the lottery, they might gain 10 spots to 5th spot and I see that it would be a fair system, they get a good prospect out from it, rather than the top prospect. I call it, leap 10 spots lottery system. I think that all teams should participate in the lottery, giving the president trophy team a chance to leapfrog up to 10 spots and if they wont he lottery, they would end up 21st pick. That should take place shortly before start of the playoffs. That way, the president trophy teams don't have to gut their teams due to lack of good prospects after their peak and maintain their place in hockey rather than collapse that fast like Canucks did. I feel that 10 spots up, rather than the usual 5 spots would be a good compromise so that the worst team of the whole hockey get its 2nd spot rather than 4th spot.

I would suggest, the worst team of each conference get its equal weighted odd with other worst team in their respective conference due to different schedule matrix. With that in mind, I would like to add a twist to who gets its first overall pick if a team won and leaped 10spots but don't land first overall pick. The teams with the best head to head match-up between two worst teams get its first dib should one of them don't win the lottery into the 1st spot and other get its 2nd spot. That way, the teams will have to win their match-up in the regular season and will make every games count when it comes to non-conference match-up. It's a compromise and much better than the top 3 lottery system. It is possible for 2nd worst team in the league but worst in the conference to hold a first overall due to the winning record without winning a lottery if president trophy won its lottery and landed 21st spot and the worst team in the league picks 2nd. That way, nobody will know who win the first overall pick or their drafting order until end of the season all the way to teams that missed the playoffs. Rather than following the points percent, it would alternate the conference back and forth.

Example: Nobody in bottom 10 teams won the lottery, final conference standing. Rather than using 2019/2020, I will use 2018-19 season as an example. Worst team in Eastern Conference: Ottawa Worst team in Western Conference:: LA.

Head to head match-up.
First game: Ottawa 5 LA 1
Second game: Ottawa 4 LA 1.
Ottawa wins season series 2-0. Ottawa get its first dib for first overall pick with both teams finished the worst in the conference in 2018-19 season. If someone in top 10 wins the lottery, Ottawa get 2nd pick and LA get 3rd pick. LA had a better season record than Ottawa.

Now, who get its 3rd and fourth priority in the drafting order? Again, use the head to head match-up and whoever wins the season series get slots in the priority. You repeat those process alternative between East/West conference on their final conference standing and head to head all the way to 15th spot. This way, every games is meaningful against games between worst team in the conference despite being hapless against the stronger teams over the long season. This is a fixed

Trade deadlines must be moved up to after New Year's Day, rather than last 6 weeks of regular season to prevent tanking. Trades may be allowed after the deadlines but they would not be eligible for the playoffs. Trade may be used to shore up their injury woes late in the season. Teams will see no point of tanking for a more than half of their season if they traded away their stars on the worst team in the league. No other team might be willing to pay a hefty price unless they are nearing the playoffs and see where they stand 6 weeks left and might be willing to gamble by buying to booster their chance for Stanley Cup.

This is how you fix the tanking through trades by moving up dates and no guarantee that you would be losing games and get it's better drafting position due to head to head match-up.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
The winner of this years cup will be crapolla. They changed so many things and added so many teams that it’s not realistic season. They should just award a team the cup or just say this year is a lost year. Continue the offseason based on current standings and move on to training camp. More and more they make the regular seasons less worthy. They want everyone in. Then they put the big teams against each other and a low team gets through. Big ratings in the first round , they say, woopdy doo! Am I the only one that has moved on from the NHL and NBA seasons. It’s summertime. It’s all about greed.

2018. Washington Capitals
2019. St Louis Blues
2020. Season canceled due to Covid 19

That's what the history books should say.

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
Gonna be a pretty nice powerplay with Matthews/Marner/Tavares/Lafreniere/Anyone

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Has the NHL ever published the number combinations? How do we know 2, 9, 10, 11 was really Team E? And aren't there like 1000 different combinations? So how did the guy know it so quickly with only pen and paper?
Um, he has a pad with the numbers in you know, numerical order.

6gnud3mmxob01.jpg

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Love it!

Glad to see NJ and Buffalo not move up. NJ for obvious reasons. Buffalo because they're a shit show and don't deserve to be rewarded for it.

It would've been nice to see Detroit pick 1st though. They needed Laf.

For every analyst or commentator that said this was a disaster, there were 10 others that love it. This was the optimal outcome. Lots of buzz. Lots of intrigue.
Exactly what the league wanted. Viewership and for people to start talking about the NHL again.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Not sure the league will be happy about what most people will be talking about though. The draft is not meant as a reward or punishment. It is meant to help achieve parity and keep up fan bases and interest in teams that need hope for the future. The draft lottery prevents this and may end up weakening franchises already in trouble. Sneer all you want but Ottawa, Buffalo and Detroit need to bring in fans and sponsors. This farce of an nhl is doing them no favours by hampering them and other teams who need help in order to "add interest" to the draft by giving teams like Pittsburgh, Edmonton and the Leafs a shot at the number one pick.

Reactions: mantha39

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Eh fans who are gonna be in the race for this will be excited and happy with the decision but as an outside fan looking in I hate it lol. I dont know, I gotta give them credit for doing something to try to make things interesting. I would have made it for whoever wins the cup tho to be honest.

King 88

Mar 5, 2010
Dont understand why anyone still playing has a change to win top 3 pick let alone 1st pick. Why make simple draft so difficult...

Reactions: mantha39

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Dont understand why anyone still playing has a change to win top 3 pick let alone 1st pick.

Why make simple draft so difficult...

It's Bettman using the chaos of Corona to possibly help his friend. Many here know what this means.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad