GDT: NHL Draft Lottery Phase 1 - June 26th - 8PM ET - NBCSN/NHLN/Sportsnet/TVAS

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
For the teams that are legit bottom dwellers the best thing that happens is that Lafreniere becomes a Vincent Lacavalier for those teams playing in the 2020 NHL playoffs. Alexis was born a 10 minute ferry ride from where Vincent was born, they have drank from basically the same water.
Outside of Montreal or Pittsburgh I think that the #1 overall is not going to be the concensus #1 pick.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
If Edmonton wins the lottery they will be the biggest farce in sports.

Losing to the lowly hawks in the play-in series, missing the playoffs again with McDavid and Drysaddle putting up a Herculean season, and winning yet another first overall

I don’t even know how you fans could even show your face around here. That series of events would be monumentally embarrassing.
I would show my face around here and parade the greatest powerplay line in NHL history with McDavid, Draisaitl and Lafreniere. The closest thing to this would be Lemieux, Jagr and Kovalev.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
If the Oilers win the first pick, I propose the following trades:

1. Trade down to 4 and pick Jamie Drysdale plus one of Zadina or Veleno.
2. Trade down and take Colorado's first, Martin Kaut plus Bowen Byram

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Edmonton literally broke the system from 2010-2015 so they panicked and changed it. What's funny is that the changed system almost netted them the 2016 lottery.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Embarrassing.
This is the way the Oilers says F you to the league when the Rangers bought their stanley cup shelling out cash for Messier, Anderson, Lowe, Beukeboom, MacTavish, Graves, Tikkanen. Holy shit, that's almost 2 complete lines.

What's more embarrassing? A rangers team desperate to win a cup since 1940 by getting half the Oilers players or the Oilers winning the draft lottery the legit way.

That 1994 rangers team also had ex-Blackhawks, Noonan, Larmer, Gilbert, Hudson. That is the most embarrassing Stanley Cup win ever in the NHL.

Reactions: SteveH124

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Edmonton literally broke the system from 2010-2015 so they panicked and changed it. What's funny is that the changed system almost netted them the 2016 lottery.
The system will be broke again when the Oilers win it again. They will come up with a system starting in 2021 where one team who has picked first overall will not be allowed to pick first again for 10 years. Once 9 different teams have picked first, the playoff bound oilers in 2031 will have a legit shot to win the lottery because 9 other suckages cannot pick first.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
This is the way the Oilers says F you to the league when the Rangers bought their stanley cup shelling out cash for Messier, Anderson, Lowe, Beukeboom, MacTavish, Graves, Tikkanen. Holy shit, that's almost 2 complete lines.

What's more embarrassing? A rangers team desperate to win a cup since 1940 by getting half the Oilers players or the Oilers winning the draft lottery the legit way.

That 1994 rangers team also had ex-Blackhawks, Noonan, Larmer, Gilbert, Hudson. That is the most embarrassing Stanley Cup win ever in the NHL.

Not NYR fault EDM was cheap.

You picked 1-1-1-7-3-1-4

absolutely shameful. And they almost won the lottery in 2016 and 2019. It just never stops.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
If the Oilers win the first pick, I propose the following trades:

1. Trade down to 4 and pick Jamie Drysdale plus one of Zadina or Veleno.
2. Trade down and take Colorado's first, Martin Kaut plus Bowen Byram

if the Oilers get the first pick, why not just take Lafreniere?

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019

You picked 1-1-1-7-3-1-4

absolutely shameful. And they almost won the lottery in 2016 and 2019. It just never stops.
EDM cheap. Sure. Isn't it nice the Rangers was generous enough to pick up the players dying for cash eh?

We did not "almost" won the lottery in 2016 and 2019. There was no almost. The Oilers dropped in 2016 from 3rd to 4th.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
if the Oilers get the first pick, why not just take Lafreniere?
The danger of picking Lafreniere would be the cap hit in 4 yrs time. Trading for Byram means the Oilers get a player who is near NHL ready and can QB the powerplay with Evan Bouchard. Lafreniere does not work the point on the PP.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
EDM cheap. Sure. Isn't it nice the Rangers was generous enough to pick up the players dying for cash eh?

We did not "almost" won the lottery in 2016 and 2019. There was no almost. The Oilers dropped in 2016 from 3rd to 4th.

Someone had to. I've never heard anyone make that argument before though. Oilers had one of the best dynasties of all time, sucks it had to end that way but ownership was cheap. They had to have made enough money from the cups and stuff so idk why they couldn't pay anyone back then. At least the got 5 cups out of it.

Oilers did almost win in 2016, they were a number away from being the winning combination. System is so broken. They don't need to keep changing the odds, they need to change it so teams can't repeatedly harvest the top draft picks. Not saying don't let them pick, but there has to be some common sense. What Edm did has created a system that has hurt teams since 2016 who need help in the lottery.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

The system will be broke again when the Oilers win it again. They will come up with a system starting in 2021 where one team who has picked first overall will not be allowed to pick first again for 10 years. Once 9 different teams have picked first, the playoff bound oilers in 2031 will have a legit shot to win the lottery because 9 other suckages cannot pick first.

what kills me is it seems a relatively simple fix- ive been thinking about it for all of one afternoon and believe I’ve already come up with less flawed concepts than the current lottery.

like- say teams can only move up or down a max of two slots. Ok, but then if teams might tank- have the draft be based on standings from a random date. Just choose 6 dates late in the season, go by points percentage to make up for games played differences, and roll a die to determine which date’s standings the draft is based on. Sounds complicated, but it’s actually simpler than the current nonsense, and the date part is only necessary if the NHL really fears teams will race to get into that bottom 3.

After that..

Detroit- 45% for 1st, 35% 2nd, 2o% 3rd
2nd worst- 35% 1st, 35% 2nd, 25% 3rd, 5% 4th pick
3rd worst- 20% 1st, 25% 2nd, 35% 3rd, 15% 4th, 5% 5th pick,
etc.

Obviously the numbers would need a bit of work, but you get the general concept. Like, am I crazy? Missing something? Just seems much better to my mind and it keeps some excitement.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
what kills me is it seems a relatively simple fix- ive been thinking about it for all of one afternoon and believe I’ve already come up with less flawed concepts than the current lottery.

like- say teams can only move up or down a max of two slots. Ok, but then if teams might tank- have the draft be based on standings from a random date. Just choose 6 dates late in the season, go by points percentage to make up for games played differences, and roll a die to determine which date’s standings the draft is based on. Sounds complicated, but it’s actually simpler than the current nonsense, and the date part is only necessary if the NHL really fears teams will race to get into that bottom 3.

After that..

Detroit- 45% for 1st, 35% 2nd, 2o% 3rd
2nd worst- 35% 1st, 35% 2nd, 25% 3rd, 5% 4th pick
3rd worst- 20% 1st, 25% 2nd, 35% 3rd, 15% 4th, 5% 5th pick,
etc.

Obviously the numbers would need a bit of work, but you get the general concept. Like, am I crazy? Missing something? Just seems much better to my mind and it keeps some excitement.

Idk why the league didn't implement this in 2013 tbh. It's too late to fix what happened but they can prevent another 2010s Oilers. Give teams that need help the top picks. But if they keep coming back to the well, give them less water.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
New system's going to give Oilers Lafreniere. You heard it here first. HF is going to get oiled bigtime.

Nope - the storyline of Lafreniere, a Quebec native playing for Montreal is too irresistible for the NHL so that's how it's gonna play out.

Yeah, I was rooting BIG TIME for Vancouver because I dislike it when any team in any sport can simply load up on players by spending more money than any other team. This is also why I don't watch La Liga, Serie A or Bundesliga because the league winner comes down to basically 2 teams. At least it's a tad more spread out in EPL.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Nope - the storyline of Lafreniere, a Quebec native playing for Montreal is too irresistible for the NHL so that's how it's gonna play out.

Yeah, I was rooting BIG TIME for Vancouver because I dislike it when any team in any sport can simply load up on players by spending more money than any other team. This is also why I don't watch La Liga, Serie A or Bundesliga because the league winner comes down to basically 2 teams. At least it's a tad more spread out in EPL.

As much as the Rangers bought former Oilers, let's not forget they paid hefty prices. They drafted really well late 80s and had plethora of young players
Dough Weight, Steven Rice( who was considered a highly touted prospect), Same with Debrusk, Tony Granato who they traded for Nichols that was part of Messier trade

On top of that, they had their own home grown players like Kovalev, Zubob, Nemchinov and superstar in Brian Leetch
Zubov had 89 points

Oh yeah and Richter was insane that year as well.

Rangers didn't buy the Stanley Cup. They earned it and paid with their future

Coming back to the Oilers. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if they get the 1st round pick. It's been 5 years since they had a 1st overall pick, they are definitely due for one
It's almost guaranteed at this point

Reactions: HarryLime

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

You picked 1-1-1-7-3-1-4

We were last place twice. So how is it shameful for the Oilers to have the lottery balls bounce their way?

And yes, it is shameful for the Oilers, or any team, to be bad. The Oilers were a very bad team. So what? Lots of teams were bad, for extended periods of time as well. It's a very hard trap to escape from, when no good veterans will sign with you because you suck, and all your trade assets don't have full value because they are playing on a team that is playing in their own end a lot.

I have to say as well, that there is little shameful about the way the Oilers won McDavid. The Oilers were last place in the league plagued with injuries and coaching issues, but then did everything possible to sabotage their draft position, by trying to fix problems, and the result was that they clawed their way up to the 3rd last, and if the season were a few games more they would have been even higher than that. Meanwhile, every team down there was tripping over themselves to tank and sabotage themselves and tank.

The one pick the Oilers tanked for was Hall. That's it. After that, it was just a painful struggle to find success. I'm not apologizing for my team on that.

Reactions: Speatleysson

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
We were last place twice. So how is it shameful for the Oilers to have the lottery balls bounce their way?

And yes, it is shameful for the Oilers, or any team, to be bad. The Oilers were a very bad team. So what? Lots of teams were bad, for extended periods of time as well. It's a very hard trap to escape from, when no good veterans will sign with you because you suck, and all your trade assets don't have full value because they are playing on a team that is playing in their own end a lot.

I have to say as well, that there is little shameful about the way the Oilers won McDavid. The Oilers were last place in the league plagued with injuries and coaching issues, but then did everything possible to sabotage their draft position, by trying to fix problems, and the result was that they clawed their way up to the 3rd last, and if the season were a few games more they would have been even higher than that. Meanwhile, every team down there was tripping over themselves to tank and sabotage themselves and tank.

The one pick the Oilers tanked for was Hall. That's it. After that, it was just a painful struggle to find success. I'm not apologizing for my team on that.

There's nothing to apologize for, and there's nothing shameful about sucking, I'm a Leafs fan and sucking is tradition. I guess the difference between the Leafs and Oilers is that the Leafs are stupid and think they can contend for the 8 seed and trade their draft picks most seasons. I suppose it's the leagues fault more than anyone's for letting a team draft 1st 4 times in 6 years and pick inside the top 4 twice more. There's something about that and it's just plain wrong. The fact that even after you guys won it a 4th time and got a generational player, you were back in the sweepstakes in 2016 and 2019. Like there should be a rule were the Oilers are just automatically ineligible to move up. Since NJ won again they shouldn't be allowed to win either. No team should be able to stack up like that. Just reading this forum and other places and seeing Oiler fans post about potentially winning is why I'm making this post. It's ridiculous at this point.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
As much as the Rangers bought former Oilers, let's not forget they paid hefty prices. They drafted really well late 80s and had plethora of young players
Dough Weight, Steven Rice( who was considered a highly touted prospect), Same with Debrusk, Tony Granato who they traded for Nichols that was part of Messier trade

On top of that, they had their own home grown players like Kovalev, Zubob, Nemchinov and superstar in Brian Leetch
Zubov had 89 points

Oh yeah and Richter was insane that year as well.

Rangers didn't buy the Stanley Cup. They earned it and paid with their future

Coming back to the Oilers. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if they get the 1st round pick. It's been 5 years since they had a 1st overall pick, they are definitely due for one
It's almost guaranteed at this point
The core of that team were Oilers no matter how you spin it. Yeah, Richter was good but not as good as Kirk McLean. Zubov and Kovalev were good. No way they even get to the finals without Messier. Tikkanen also played a massive role shutting down the other team's top players.

And yes, the Oilers are due for another 1st. This is their last chance to get a 1st overall in the next 10 years. I don't see how they can be a dumpster team from this year onwards.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019

Shameful for you, not for me. We got McDavid and that's the most important thing about that season. Oilers deserved McDavid more than anyone else. They tried to fight themselves out of the bottom while the Leafs and Sabres did whatever they could to tank. I still remember fans in Buffalo wearing 97 that season thinking they've got McDavid in the bag. Those idiots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad