GDT: NHL Draft Lottery Phase 1 - June 26th - 8PM ET - NBCSN/NHLN/Sportsnet/TVAS

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Players dont throw games. They are fighting for a contract. Why would they want their team to get a high pick and have that guy steal their job.
The management can sit out a player with a cold if the games don't matter and they can tape up a guy with a broken bone and send him out if winning really matters.

It's not throwing games but more about giving it all and some more to win.

MTL management would be interested in keeping it's players Covid free and the lotto is added bonus. There is 0 reason for them to go balls out chasing the cup when they have been sellers.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
The management can sit out a player with a cold if the games don't matter and they can tape up a guy with a broken bone and send him out if winning really matters.

It's not throwing games but more about giving it all and some more to win.

MTL management would be interested in keeping it's players Covid free and the lotto is added bonus. There is 0 reason for them to go balls out chasing the cup when they have been sellers.
I think you are underestimating the competitiveness of players. If a GM told pronger he was sitting him out of the play-in because they wanted to fake a cold I'm sure the star players would tell them to f*** off or they leak it to the media. The players don't give a f*** about draft lottery odds. I have a handful of friends in the league and can guarantee you they are much more worried about their performance/repuatation that the teams lottery odds.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
I think every year you see that there is a clear distinction between the bottom ten teams and the five teams that barely miss the playoffs.

The NHL went too far the other way when Ednonton kept winning first overall picks.

Draw for the top 2 picks based on the bottom 10 teams. That way the worst team can pick no lower than 3rd. If you win a 1st overall pick, you cannot win 1 or 2 in the subsequent year.

Well if they eliminated the Wild card and went straight 1-4 in the divisions, one could make an argument you can have a lottery where the bottom team in each division should have an equal shot at the first overall as none of them are competing with one another for a playoff spot.

My suggestion has always been though that the team that should get the pick is the one with the largest point differential from making the playoffs. Yes this will often be the worst team in the league, but in times where there may be a race to the bottom, simply losing might not help if the teams fighting for playoff spots are losing as well as if they both lose that would not increase the differential... for example...

Canucks finish with 94 points in the last playoff spot

Kings finish with 54 points last in the west

Islanders finish with 90 points in the last playoff spot

Sabres finish with 52 points

I mean the argument can be made that the Kings are more deserving of a first overall because they are worse than the teams they have to compete against.

I don't know what the solution is but the current one is terrible IMO, and it will only be a matter of time until a really good team that just had a bad year because of injuries or whatever wins first overall, and that goes completely against the spirit of the draft order in the first place.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Has the NHL ever published the number combinations? How do we know 2, 9, 10, 11 was really Team E? And aren't there like 1000 different combinations? So how did the guy know it so quickly with only pen and paper?

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Has the NHL ever published the number combinations? How do we know 2, 9, 10, 11 was really Team E? And aren't there like 1000 different combinations? So how did the guy know it so quickly with only pen and paper?

They have shown behind the scenes the operation. The numbers are pulled ahead of time so they know the winners before the broadcast even starts. They are merely just announcing the results of the lottery they've already held.

Reactions: TheRarestDangles

Palio

Dec 9, 2015
You really don't understand why?

A player like Laf can help a team for the next 15 years.

Losing a single draft "play in" manufactured garbage is a loss of a few pennies in gate revenue (if home teams even get a piece of it in these hub cities) and an asterisk cup that no one willt ake seriously or care about next year.

At this point, Laf is, by far, the bigger prize for any franchise.

I don’t agree at all. The Leafs winning the cup this year is a far bigger prize in my eyes than winning Laf. Like, it’s not even close. Once we get past the playin round, it’s the exact same format as any other year.
If the season would have played out and the draft lottery would have taken place with the current standings, it was the Jets that would have the number one pick. That’s the way the NHL has their lottery set up. If you want complain about every non-playoff team being allowed to win the #1 pick that’s fine. But if we are going to have a play-in round after an extended absence where a team 20 points behind in the standings can take the playoff spot away from another team, every team not qualifying for the 16 team playoff should be eligible to win the lottery. It’s been that way for 5 years

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
They have shown behind the scenes the operation. The numbers are pulled ahead of time so they know the winners before the broadcast even starts. They are merely just announcing the results of the lottery they've already held.

That's not what I mean. I saw the lottery with Bettman on Youtube. I am not talking about Daly showing the logos.

But how do we know which team had assigned 2, 9, 10, 11? Which one is 1, 4, 6, 12? Which one is 3, 5, 10, 13? etc
Why don't they release a list with all the combos before the lottery? And if there are like 1000 different combinations, how did the guy know it so quickly with only pen and paper?

Even in your videos from previous years, there are simply men looking at some papers and saying "oh it's Edmonton". How do we know that combination is really Edmonton?

I think the talk about a rigged lottery would stop if the NHL released in advance a list with all possible combinations, so that everyone at home can see for themselves who won.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
So now that we've got the lottery out of the way might as well do the 1st 8 picks as well, why not. The 16 play in teams can just democratically vote on who they'd like to pick. I'm sure all 16 probably take Lafreniere, then the other 7 slotted picks can go. Why not?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

I'm pretty sure they release the combos before the lottery, they usually do though I didn't go look for it this year. Also that guy likely has an organized list of combinations. All he would have to do is look at the combos that start with a 2, then a 9, 10, and 11. Like looking up a word alphabetically in a dictionary. Takes like 15 seconds.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
That's not what I mean. I saw the lottery with Bettman on Youtube. I am not talking about Daly showing the logos.

But how do we know which team had assigned 2, 9, 10, 11? Which one is 1, 4, 6, 12? Which one is 3, 5, 10, 13? etc
Why don't they release a list with all the combos before the lottery? And if there are like 1000 different combinations, how did the guy know it so quickly with only pen and paper?

Even in your videos from previous years, there are simply men looking at some papers and saying "oh it's Edmonton". How do we know that combination is really Edmonton?

I think the talk about a rigged lottery would stop if the NHL released in advance a list with all possible combinations, so that everyone at home can see for themselves who won.

This was released 3 days ago

https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/317240684/binary-file/file.pdf

Order by combination starts on page 6. Took me 5 seconds to find the 2, 9, 10, 11 combination, quicker than I thought

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
As a Habs fan, I've never been happier about a classic Dusty finish :naughty:
Cp9NfGp.jpg

Reactions: King Weber

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think you are underestimating the competitiveness of players. If a GM told pronger he was sitting him out of the play-in because they wanted to fake a cold I'm sure the star players would tell them to f*** off or they leak it to the media. The players don't give a f*** about draft lottery odds. I have a handful of friends in the league and can guarantee you they are much more worried about their performance/repuatation that the teams lottery odds.
Said nothing about faking anything.

Players will be in a hub city playing in front of 0 fans and getting tested left and right. If it was Pronger or Smyth with a separated shoulder or a fractured finger they would continue to play normal playoffs.

These ones they might not if their franchise guy is out with injury.

Oilers may be fine without McDavid and may get to Cup finals but CHI has no chance without Kane and neither do rest of Canadian teams without their top guy.

President of Hockey

Aug 13, 2016
This was released 3 days ago

https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/317240684/binary-file/file.pdf

Order by combination starts on page 6. Took me 5 seconds to find the 2, 9, 10, 11 combination, quicker than I thought

With this list in mind, it is also easy to determine the chances of all teams to get the 1st pick once the first 3 out of 4 balls had been drawn.

2 9 10 11 was the winning combination. 11 was the last number drawn, so once balls 2 9 and 10 were drawn, there were still 11 possible combinations left.

4 of them belonged to the Ottawa Senators (two from their own pick and two from SJ) =>36.6% chance, significantly up from the 25% chance at the start of the lottery

2 belonged to Detroit => 18.2%, no big change from the original odds

2 belonged to the 8 losers of the play-in round (one for team A and one for team E) => 18.2% chance which is significantly lower than the 31% original chance

1 belonged to each of Anaheim, New Jersey and Buffalo => 9.1% chance each, which was just a little higher than originally.

Los Angeles was the only team that had no shot at the 1st overall pick once the first three balls were picked.

So, after three balls had been drawn, Ottawa was the team that had a much higher likelihood to get the number 1 pick compared to the original situation, and the 8 play-in losers (and LA) had a much lower likelihood. And yet, it was this group of teams that was successful. Poor Senators fans...

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
The winner of this years cup will be crapolla. They changed so many things and added so many teams that it’s not realistic season. They should just award a team the cup or just say this year is a lost year. Continue the offseason based on current standings and move on to training camp. More and more they make the regular seasons less worthy. They want everyone in. Then they put the big teams against each other and a low team gets through. Big ratings in the first round , they say, woopdy doo! Am I the only one that has moved on from the NHL and NBA seasons. It’s summertime. It’s all about greed.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

With the risk of coming across as overly cocky here, I'm gonna go ahead and say that I can find a specific number in an ordered list pretty quickly.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Loved reading all the conspiracy theories and rigged lottery posts. Pretty entertaining. In this time no law firm or auditing company as large as the ones the NHL used to conduct the lottery are going to risk their historical reputation to help the NHL rig their own league. Complain about the system put in place (didn't see the overwhelming outcry before the draft when everyone knew the details) but enough with the conspiracy craziness.

I don't believe it was fixed. I do believe those companies would fix anything you want to keep having the contract if its big enough.

I hate conspiracy theories because 9/10 it all comes down to human incompetence, but equally I hate trust of big companies because of fear of reputational damage, because at the moment you can tank the world economy and get a bailout, start a war overseas and give all the rebuilding contracts to your friends, be responsible for poisoning thousands of African kids and shrug it off, or get elected to be POTUS despite ridiculing the disabled, being racist and cosying up to dictators.

We're in a world where for all people complaining about cancel culture and woke power, if you are rich enough nothing sticks unless you make the wrong enemies or go to prison.

Ultimately, its irrelevant because the only people who could ever know about a fix would be those directly involved, so it would never come out anyway.

Canucks are -7, so know the feeling.

We did up with Pettersson and Hughes though, who are looking just as good (if not better) than anyone in their draft class, so there's always hope.

SOOOO wanted Pettersson...was gutted when you guys were sensible to draft him higher than the mocks ;-)

Still the Canucks deserve some luck having spent so many years being good but not good enough. Same why I feel sympathy for the Sharks fans....how the hell they got to where they are now from where they were,....and of course Ottawa, but that's 100% the owner

If Arizona dont win the play in , then Hall win the lottery.

His UFA contract should go through the roof if that happens ;-)

Players dont throw games. They are fighting for a contract. Why would they want their team to get a high pick and have that guy steal their job.

Because only like 2 players on any roster could be adversely affected by the outcome. Almost everyone else would be better off the following year...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad