C - Turgeon - 6'1" - 198
C - Ehn - 6'3" - 181
G - Perry - 6'2" - 189
LW - Vahatalo - 6'5" - 191
C - Holmstrom - 6'0 - 198
C - Kadeykin - 6'3" - 213

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
20 year old center, put up 23 points in the KHL and lead his team in scoring. And he was on my wish list too, unranked by CSS :)

Love these three last picks. Great stuff.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Easier to convert a C to a winger, no? They are just picking as many prospects as possible hoping one of them sticks.

Brandel*

I didn't think Vladimir Tkachev wouldnt go at all in the draft, pretty surprised about that.

King Pavel

Apr 27, 2014
I'm excited for the size we have been drafting don't get me wrong, but it seems as though we're drafting prospects purely for size with a 3rd/4th line center ceiling?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
8 Frolunda players taken in this draft. Crazy.

Is that the team where Hakan is on the board? If so it is pretty interesting. While I'm not crazy about the top of our draft class I do like focusing on organizational needs and drafting a bunch of centers.

Hopefully one turns into a solid middle 6 and another turns into a reliable 4th line player. That's probably about average for a draft class. In fact over all of our drafts since 2007 we've turned out one middle 6 center and one 4th line/depth center over that time.

Our previous center prospects:

Sheahan - looks like legit middle 6 center
Janmark - looks like he'll move to wing
Athanasiou - looks like he'll move to wing
Ferraro - not looking NHL caliber
Aubry - looks like career AHL'er
Nestrasil - career AHL'er
Nyquist - scoring line winger
Andersson - 4th line/depth center

So if we can get two players out of this draft class that is focused largely on center we'll do very well.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I'm excited for the size we have been drafting don't get me wrong, but it seems as though we're drafting prospects purely for size with a 3rd/4th line center ceiling?

well they could turn out better than that but big guys that go this late have their issues obviously.. there has been clear change in philosophy imo but this happened before wright came in.

good to see them take flyers at centers but these look like mostly low upside guys. hope they pan out better than that.

Aug 6, 2012
So apparently our plan is to ice the biggest team in the league, regardless of skill. I don't mind some size picks, but what happened to all those skill picks like in 11?

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
20 year old center, put up 23 points in the KHL and lead his team in scoring. And he was on my wish list too, unranked by CSS :)

Love these three last picks. Great stuff.
Yeah, I like the last three picks too. Maybe none of them will pan out, but at least they've got potential.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
So apparently our plan is to ice the biggest team in the league, regardless of skill. I don't mind some size picks, but what happened to all those skill picks like in 11?

This was a weak draft, so might as well go for the prospects with size.

King Pavel

Apr 27, 2014
well they could turn out better than that but big guys that go this late have their issues obviously.. there has been clear change in philosophy imo but this happened before wright came in.

good to see them take flyers at centers but these look like mostly low upside guys. hope they pan out better than that.

No no I obviously hope they do too, but I'm just disappointed that we essentially took 5-6 identical bottom six center potential players. Larkin looks like a dependable center and a great character kid, I'm just saying that if we were planning on stocking up on defensive-minded centers for the most of our picks, maybe we could have taken a gamble on someone with some higher offensive potential with our 15th pick?

That being said, I like our last few picks and I like Larkin as well, wish the prospects the best, if there's one thing Red Wings management knows how to do, it's draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad