Prospect Info: NHL Draft, June 27-28, 2014

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
OT: it's kind of amusing how Sonny Milano's highlight reel video looks a lot like a Jack Eichel highlight reel. That guy is incredible to the point where I really wonder how much better he makes Milano and Tuch look. Watch for him: he's #11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz0dX8SPyC0

More than half of the video has Eichel either feeding him or scoring his feeds.

Milano is a very talented player, but Eichel is on a complete different planet and would have been an easy first overall in this draft.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
OT: it's kind of amusing how Sonny Milano's highlight reel video looks a lot like a Jack Eichel highlight reel. That guy is incredible to the point where I really wonder how much better he makes Milano and Tuch look. Watch for him: he's #11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz0dX8SPyC0

Kind of reminds me a little of the Scott Glennie situation. Remember him? Taken #8 in the draft. He was one of the highest scoring guys of his draft on a line with Brayden Schenn. I mean, take a look at these numbers...

wu22Hq6.jpg

Schenn has 192 NHL games, 87 points, and was a PPG player in the AHL.
Glennie has 1 NHL game, 0 points, and is lucky to hit .5 PPG in the AHL.

What I'm trying to say is, it's very healthy to be skeptical of players that don't stir their own drinks.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I've read more scouting reports saying Larkin has 1st line potential than 3rd line potential.

I should have clarified. When I said scouts, I actually meant our scouting staff.

Was referring to this comment:

“For sure, we have a third-line guy who is a great character guy and will wear a letter for you down the road, and you hope there’s enough offense that maybe he’s a second-line center in time,†Finley said. “He’s going to be a good NHL player for us. He’s the kind of guy you win with.â€

Where have you seen he has 1st line potential? Don't think I've seen that once.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Dylan Larkin
Great choice, Larkin is gonna be next Bergeron or at least Stoll.

Dominic Turgeon
My favourite pick so far. His dad was one of mine favourite players, i hope that Dom is next Pierre.

Christoffer Ehn
In Hakan we trust!

Chase Perry
Liv->McCollum->Mrazek->Coreau->Paterson->Perry

Julius Vahatalo
He's a big boy, Homer vol.2

Axel Holmstrom
Potential steal, sounds very promising.

Alexander Kadeykin
Another huge kid, sounds ok.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Where have you seen he has 1st line potential? Don't think I've seen that once.

The kid can't even buy cigarettes yet. We're going to have to wait to see how his offensive game pans out.

Here's the dirt on ol' Ryan Kesler in 2003.

Ryan Kesler, C, 6-1 1/2, 195, 8/31/84, Ohio State (CCHA): 40 GP, 11 G, 20 A, 31 PTS, 44 PIM

Could become the third Ohio State product to be taken in the first round in as many years, joining R.J. Umberger and David Steckel. Scouts think he has limited offensive potential but like his hard-nosed attitude and project him as a third- or fourth-line center. Has good speed for his size. Averaged a point a game at the World Junior Championships as a member of the U.S. team. Ranked 16th among North American skaters by NHL Central Scouting, he'll probably go later than that in the first round.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
The kid can't even buy cigarettes yet. We're going to have to wait to see how his offensive game pans out.

Here's the dirt on ol' Ryan Kesler in 2003.

Good info - he's only 3 months older than Eichel.. lots of time to develop. Like the Kesler comparison too

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Have not been overly impressed with their draft to be honest, though it is interesting to watch them draft for their needs, interesting to watch smart hockey people change speed. I just was not a Honka guy and I liked Wesley more than Peters in terms of the Plymouth stay at home guys.

mcdonnell said they drafted for 'BPA', it just happened to be D, they didn't lean that way.

i know their 5th rounder. classic red wings pick. real project.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I really like our (Hakan's) last three picks, Holmstrom in particular. Don't know much about them but they seem to have some nice potential for where they were drafted. Holmstrom PPG+ in international play. PPG+ in J20 as a 17 year old. PPG+ in J18 as a 16 year old. Decent career playoff numbers. Got a taste of men's league this year. Be interesting to see if he can build on that this year.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
So reading through all the 1st round picks bios and they have that part where they list favorite movies and actors.

And just once I want to see one of them name Gary Oldman or Daniel Day-Lewis. Instead it's a sea of Tom Cruise and Will Ferrell. I swear I'd pick the first kid that actually named a decent actor and movie.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
So reading through all the 1st round picks bios and they have that part where they list favorite movies and actors.

And just once I want to see one of them name Gary Oldman or Daniel Day-Lewis. Instead it's a sea of Tom Cruise and Will Ferrell. I swear I'd pick the first kid that actually named a decent actor and movie.

Yeah man, I've read through all of these for the last 3-4 years. They're all awful and bland. I was their age not that long ago, so it's certainly no excuse to have the most bland taste in media possible.

Favorite game: NHL 1_ or Call of Duty.

Favorite movie: Miracle

Favorite actor: Will Ferrell

Favorite Band: Nickelback

Favorite hockey player: Sydney Crosby

It's awful.

Also, something about Wright doesn't rub me the right way. His evaluations on players' concerns me. They all seem really empirical(more so than usual), But, we'll see in a few years how our drafts turn out under him, I suppose.

Last edited:

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
To be fair, when I was 17-18 my answers probably would have been awful at the time as well. They're kids for crying out loud!

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Pronman gave the Wings a C+ for the draft, 4th last among all teams. Won't copy what he said (paywall) but basically Larkin & Turgeon add two-way play and work ethic to our pool of skilled guys. And the rest have tools and are talented but he's not as sold on them.

I would like them to take more risks in the early rounds for once. I guess Mantha was a bit of a risk but that went ok so maybe they should do it more often. But I'm fine with what they did, hopefully one of the C's will surprise and develop top-6 puck skills. I think those last three picks will give us something to cheer about in the future.

Last edited:

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Enough of the small Euro's... Look at how the Kings are built, that's championship roster for ya. Basically no sub 6'0ft nor sub 200lbs players.

Thats what high picks gets you, you mean? Or when was it DRW could draft both big and skilled?

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Pronman gave the Wings a C+ for the draft, 4th last among all teams. Won't copy what he said (paywall) but basically Larkin & Turgeon add two-way play and work ethic to our pool of skilled guys. And the rest have tools and are talented but he's not as sold on them.

I would like them to take more risks in the early rounds for once. I guess Mantha was a bit of a risk but that went ok so maybe they should do it more often. But I'm fine with what they did, hopefully one of the C's will surprise and develop top-6 puck skills. I think those last three picks will give us something to cheer about in the future.

I can't say any of the centers taken just behind Larkin look more promising, speed and defense are also assets and important ones for us. Larkin's one of the youngest guys in the draft and put up good offensive numbers. Feels like he gets a little pidgeonholed for no apparent reason. I think it's a reasonable pick more than safe pick.

But guys like Turgeon in the 3rd and Ehn in the 4th round are a bit noteworthy. Remains to be seen.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Somehow I feel that Turgeron, Ehn, and the finnish guy are Joker 2.0, 3.0, 4.0's...That is perhaps NHLers down the road but mediocre at basically everything.... hope I'm wrong...

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Sarnia's Hayden Hodgson will be attending the Wings development camp, according to Brock Otten.

I hope they invite Tkachev, although he'll definitely get a bunch of invites from other teams too.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
seems like a pretty meh draft. Larkins not a bad 1st rounder but right now doesnt seem to have a very high ceiling. The guy I'm most interested in is the 7th rounder Kadeykin.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
seems like a pretty meh draft. Larkins not a bad 1st rounder but right now doesnt seem to have a very high ceiling. The guy I'm most interested in is the 7th rounder Kadeykin.

Yeah, I like Kadeykin alot and Holmstrom given his point production. Don't love or hate any of the other picks though, just looking forward to seeing how they develop.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Yeah, with our highest draft pick since Martin Lapointe I would have liked to see us draft a guy who has more potential has a scoring line center. It's unfortunate we got that high draft pick during a year when the draft class is viewed as being pretty unspectacular beyond the top 5 picks.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Those aren't my opinions, those are the stereotypical opinions of kids when they get drafted on their NHL prospect profile pages. I was illustrating how awful their taste in media is.

Oh I wasn't face palming you.

I was face palming anyone who's favorite band is nickelback and favorite player is Crosby.

Absolutely brutal combination lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad