GDT: NHL DRAFT 2022 - PICKS - 15, 80, 112, 144, 176, 208

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
People can like what Minny is doing. 3 more years of big dead cap. Kaprisov will be 28 with a year to go before ufa when the big dead caps drop to something manageable. But spurgeon will be like 35, Brodin like 32. Good players will continue to age and losing may get to them.

Chicago dumped everyone. Kane and Toews are ufa in 2023 so by the tdl if they are willing they will get moved.

Leave sJones and his $9.5 mill for 8 seasons. Good luck with that. No one wants to retain that long and not for more than 15% like Tor did with Kessel. That only drops Jones to just over $8 mill AAV.
and actually, Chicago's gm was signed in october, after the Jones trade. seems they had their own Benning at the helm for that one

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Around 50 odd players a draft hit 200 games. More games rhe fewer players will hit it. So depends on what your expectations are.

Quality measure. You could do points as an alternative but some players are good in roles that aren't scoring roles, defensive D or or bottom 6. Getting replacement level players that bounce around the league (Brad Hunt) won't make a blip on a teams fortunes.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Quality measure. You could do points as an alternative but some players are good in roles that aren't scoring roles, defensive D or or bottom 6. Getting replacement level players that bounce around the league (Brad Hunt) won't make a blip on a teams fortunes.
Just based on the odds over time, the target goal is a top 6 F or Top 4 D or starting G plus another guy to fill out the bottom 6F or bottom Pair D or backup G.

Every once in a while you have to do better than that if you want to really have players to make a push. 1 good player a year isn’t going to do it.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I’m not buying Dipietro having puck value. One year away from waiver eligibility. Undersized goalie who’s development has regressed.

I would be slightly annoyed if the Canucks gave up a late round pick for a similar prospect.
If the Canucks had developed DiPietro properly then he probably fetches a 2nd round pick right now with all the teams desperate for goaltending

Benning and company f***ed up his development and tanked all his value as a trade chip.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
This is the exact strategy I use in late rounds of the draft in NHL 22.

Sounds a lot like the Mackenzie Stewart pick which Benning got roasted for.
If you have a surplus of picks then maybe it’s okay to take a wild swing here and there but you could always track the guy for a year and see where he’s at then and draft him as an overager.

Personally, I’d take the Russian Dman we took in that round.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Sounds a lot like the Mackenzie Stewart pick which Benning got roasted for.
If you have a surplus of picks then maybe it’s okay to take a wild swing here and there but you could always track the guy for a year and see where he’s at then and draft him as an overager.

Personally, I’d take the Russian Dman we took in that round.
I don't know anything about this prospect so I can't campare them. However Stewert was a bad pick instantly because he couldn't even play at the level of hockey he was playing. He was already just the tough guy on the team unable to put up points.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I don't know anything about this prospect so I can't campare them. However Stewert was a bad pick instantly because he couldn't even play at the level of hockey he was playing. He was already just the tough guy on the team unable to put up points.
I remember Mac Stew being touted as a late starter into hockey (due to family issues) who was on a steep upward trajectory and quickly moving up levels and was worth a shot because of that and he still might have more untapped potential. Unfortunately his development basically stopped at his draft year and he never really improved after that and signing him to an NHL contract was an even bigger mistake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad