GDT: NHL DRAFT 2022 - PICKS - 15, 80, 112, 144, 176, 208

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Here is a decent read on probability of NHL "success" vs draft position. Worth reading.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
For people in tune with prospects, did the Canucks make the right call (or at least, a justifiable call) on passing on Kemell? I saw that he was ranked solidly in the top 10.
I wasn't really a fan of Kemell. I get that he was a faller too, but his all-around play leaves a lot to be desired.

SM-Liiga tracks shot metrics, and he had one of the worst CF%s of any forward on his team.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Pretty blah outside of the first round. Pettersson may be a 7th/8th dman. Can't see the rest getting much but a cup of coffee in pro hockey. Hope to be wrong but ya... I like some other teams total drafts who didn't even have a 1st round pick. The Canes are insane. They draft pure quality at each pick.
Damn you are good at predicting 17 and 18 year old kids trajectory. Impressive

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Another draft where the Canucks virtually shunned any players from the CHL. Whether by coincidence or design, they always default to Swedish players and the USHL.

I don't know whether it's a scouting problem or just the fact the Canucks have traded so many picks over the years. But as far as the Canucks are concerned the junior leagues in their own backyard may as well not exist.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Here is a decent read on probability of NHL "success" vs draft position. Worth reading.

I was off on my percentage a bit in my post but it still stands. saying 25% vs 15% doesn't change much. They are project players. Hell a good chunk of those first rounders are project players that only get the games they do solely because they were drafted in the first round.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
its a complete letdown. there is so much fat that we need to cut from an asset management point of view, to do nothing extra in this lottery-like draft, where scouting acumen in limited viewings shines is .....a massive opportunity lost. The new management came in and did most things close to the chest. Which I respect, but a failed trade to a team where the assets coming back is likely underwhelming, is not quite enough in a 'showme' market....

Reactions: Snatcher Demko

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
disappointing draft. no right dmen or centermen. hopefully offseason gets better as the day moves along. teams who strike out on malkin/forsberg potentially can circle back to jt and go from there

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

200 games for a skater is my threshold for whether you have a player or not. Basically because they player is either good enough to spend their entire elc in the nhl or they will need a second contract to reach 200 games.

Goalies figure 50-60 games would be the threshold.

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
Another draft where the Canucks virtually shunned any players from the CHL. Whether by coincidence or design, they always default to Swedish players and the USHL.

I don't know whether it's a scouting problem or just the fact the Canucks have traded so many picks over the years. But as far as the Canucks are concerned the junior leagues in their own backyard may as well not exist.

The CHL will never have development programs as rich as European leagues or USHL/College.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I suppose a small consolation is that both Lekkerimaki and Pettersson were draft day fallers.....Lekkerimaki was rated a top-10 pick and Pettersson rated in the middle of the second round.

Normally 'faller's on draft day would come with a warning label. But seriously, in this draft, with players all over the map, it's probably a positive sign that these players slipped to the Canucks in the first and third rounds.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
its a complete letdown. there is so much fat that we need to cut from an asset management point of view, to do nothing extra in this lottery-like draft, where scouting acumen in limited viewings shines is .....a massive opportunity lost. The new management came in and did most things close to the chest. Which I respect, but a failed trade to a team where the assets coming back is likely underwhelming, is not quite enough in a 'showme' market....
You want good asset management? Sometimes that is waiting for the right deal not getting the deal right now.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
You want good asset management? Sometimes that is waiting for the right deal not getting the deal right now.
I get that, but Miller is not the only asset we have on the table. if Myers is attracting attention as our media is telling us, there is attention, then its the large management team to add traction to get results no? there are GMs that are too patient, and the window closes right in front of them. say CHeveldayoff in Winnipeg. The advantage of a big front office is covering all the bases, the disadvantage of a sprawling operation is communication gaps leading to slow reaction times on the draft floor. .....well.... and leaks...

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I suppose a small consolation is that both Lekkerimaki and Pettersson were draft day fallers.....Lekkerimaki was rated a top-10 pick and Pettersson rated in the middle of the second round.

Normally 'faller's on draft day would come with a warning label. But seriously, in this draft, with players all over the map, it's probably a positive sign that these players slipped to the Canucks in the first and third rounds.
a strong focus is on D this draft, positional scarcity is in play, a lot of potential top 4 D get picked much earlier than they are slotted.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Realistically, I'm not sure what disappointed people were expecting. Miller can't sign an extension yet - so it's very likely that he wouldn't be traded before UFA starts. Sure there may be interest in Myers, but the return offers could have been garbage that destroys our current RHD situation without any real benefit (such as freeing up very little $, taking back unwanted salary, or gaining a late pick). We aren't unloading contracts like Dickinson or Poolman, without it costing us picks. So where do we get the extra picks from?

Teams likely aren't lining up to trade for Pearson, so that pretty much just leaves Garland. Do we really want to move him for the sake of doing something, especially if the plan is to move Miller?

Patience is key, as well as sticking to the plan. I look at a team like CHI that was active, but I wonder what the hell they are doing. Trading young assets for Jones one year, then moving a top-scoring 24 year old the next, and recycling a recent high pick in Dach. By the time they are ready to compete, Jones is well past his prime...

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Realistically, I'm not sure what disappointed people were expecting. Miller can't sign an extension yet - so it's very likely that he wouldn't be traded before UFA starts. Sure there may be interest in Myers, but the return offers could have been garbage that destroys our current RHD situation without any real benefit (such as freeing up very little $, taking back unwanted salary, or gaining a late pick). We aren't unloading contracts like Dickinson or Poolman, without it costing us picks. So where do we get the extra picks from?

Teams likely aren't lining up to trade for Pearson, so that pretty much just leaves Garland. Do we really want to move him for the sake of doing something, especially if the plan is to move Miller?

Patience is key, as well as sticking to the plan. I look at a team like CHI that was active, but I wonder what the hell they are doing. Trading young assets for Jones one year, then moving a top-scoring 24 year old the next, and recycling a recent high pick in Dach. By the time they are ready to compete, Jones is well past his prime...
People can like what Minny is doing. 3 more years of big dead cap. Kaprisov will be 28 with a year to go before ufa when the big dead caps drop to something manageable. But spurgeon will be like 35, Brodin like 32. Good players will continue to age and losing may get to them.

Chicago dumped everyone. Kane and Toews are ufa in 2023 so by the tdl if they are willing they will get moved.

Leave sJones and his $9.5 mill for 8 seasons. Good luck with that. No one wants to retain that long and not for more than 15% like Tor did with Kessel. That only drops Jones to just over $8 mill AAV.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC

I more or less agree. Management was dealt a shit sandwich with this team and it's going to take some time to sort everything out.

That said, if we do not see some clear direction by the end of the summer then I am going to be skeptical of any real change in philosophy. It can be hard to be optimistic when FA is still the captain of the ship.

When I hear them talking extension of Miller, extension of Boeser, and how they don't want to take a step back this season... It gives me flashbacks of the last eight years. Hopefully this is all just posturing and with a bit of patience, they make the right decisions towards the bigger picture.

Reactions: Hoglander

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
200 games for a skater is my threshold for whether you have a player or not. Basically because they player is either good enough to spend their entire elc in the nhl or they will need a second contract to reach 200 games.

Goalies figure 50-60 games would be the threshold.

Markus Granlund 335 games
Baertschi 292 games

I'd set the number higher than 200. 400 or 500 is a real quality cut off that gets rid a tweener prospects that just hung around. You need a decent length career to hit 500 games, those are the players you want.

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
I more or less agree. Management was dealt a shit sandwich with this team and it's going to take some time to sort everything out.

That said, if we do not see some clear direction by the end of the summer then I am going to be skeptical of any real change in philosophy. It can be hard to be optimistic when FA is still the captain of the ship.

When I hear them talking extension of Miller, extension of Boeser, and how they don't want to take a step back this season... It gives me flashbacks of the last eight years. Hopefully this is all just posturing and with a bit of patience, they make the right decisions towards the bigger picture.
At least they are talking extensions for good players, and not the foundational Sutter types lol

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Markus Granlund 335 games
Baertschi 292 games

I'd set the number higher than 200. 400 or 500 is a real quality cut off that gets rid a tweener prospects that just hung around. You need a decent length career to hit 500 games, those are the players you want.
Not everyone is going to be a long time nhler. That’s why those who make it get paid. I mean gaudette already has over 200 games and he’s not getting a QO for just $900k.

100 games is way too low.

200 is fair. At some point teams decide to move off you for someone else.

300 is the point that you get someone who likely plays until age 30 in the NHL.

If that’s the bar at say 400 games that can be around 1 player per team per draft save for the 2003 super strong year.

Around 50 odd players a draft hit 200 games. More games rhe fewer players will hit it. So depends on what your expectations are.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,430.00