GDT: NHL DRAFT 2022 - PICKS - 15, 80, 112, 144, 176, 208

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
That’s really good outcome for a 3rd rounder.

It is but from our current position, a really bad one, I’d go for the D version of point instead. So Adam fox type Hail Mary. Or a point.

Go big or go home.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
not even a mikey dipietro trade which is wow
not sure if he has much value. one last year left of being waiver exempt, not tracking well, smaller goalie.

I would not be lining up to trade a draft pick for him

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
It is but from our current position, a really bad one, I’d go for the D version of point instead. So Adam fox type Hail Mary. Or a point.

Go big or go home.
Well I don’t disagree with that, I wish we draft only home run picks, f*** bust factor.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
If you had told me before the draft that the two biggest Canucks stories will be that they drafted a guy with the same name as a guy they already have and their coach playing around with a fake wrestler I would have been disappointed. And, I am.

Kevin Owens is a real professional wrestler...

Well I don’t disagree with that, I wish we draft only home run picks, f*** bust factor.

Maybe we need fewer draft picks then so our scouts will work harder to make sure we hit on the ones we have?

/sarcasm
#RememberWhen?

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
not sure if he has much value. one last year left of being waiver exempt, not tracking well, smaller goalie.

I would not be lining up to trade a draft pick for him
I figured some team who was previously high would have given a seventh.

Are they going to have to take back a contract spot to dump DiPietro?

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
When people say "oh bad pick or bad draft" is it because it was or because the team didn't take the prospects that you hyper focused on and fell in love with?
I think it's about 60 percent because players ranked higher by various scouting services or blogs were still available.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Raptors commentator Matt Devlin’s son was drafted by the Penguins in round 6.

Reactions: Nucker101

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Also remember everything is Benning's fault and will be for years to come...

Not unlike folks like you who moaned about Gillis for literal years. The only difference being is that one of them was in a generally stable state while the other one was a complete shit show.

Reactions: M2Beezy

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
For people in tune with prospects, did the Canucks make the right call (or at least, a justifiable call) on passing on Kemell? I saw that he was ranked solidly in the top 10.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I agree that we need upgrades basically everywhere, and that usually means you go with the best player available (Ideally a rhd), and fill the rest of the positions outside of the draft.

But that’s not what we did, we’re going for a project picks, And not picking are most important need and BPA.

I’m going to just stop, I’m just getting agitated, let’s see where everybody lands in a few years
Picks beyond the early second round tend to be project picks. You will not be getting a complete player with a solid projection of NHL upside in the third round (your looking something like under 15% of players in the third round playing even 100 games in the NHL. The deeper you go the less likely it becomes).

Pettersson was the 37th ranked European skater from central scouting and moved up significantly from his mid-term grade. Seems to me being taken at 80th in in line where you'd expect him to be taken (probably dropped). I doubt anyone has much information beyond that on this player to say whether he was the clear cut BPA or not. Scouting thought he was so now we wait. This isn't one of those "what the hell are you doing moments" like Juolevi over Tkachuk or going to a late round MacKenzie Stewart.

The hand wringing on not drafting a RHD or this position over that is quite frankly nonsense. It is unlikely that any of these players drafted beyond the first round are looking to be cracking the NHL in the next 3 years. Nearly the entire roster will be turned over at the NHL level by that time and certainly at the AHL level that will be the case. These are prospects and 90% of them will fail to be NHL players once that 3rd round hits.

They took 3 D-men this draft...all shoot left. The horror of it all. All are unlikely to make the NHL so it's not like there is this glut of talent. Anywhere. Very, few organizations actually draft so well that they have too much NHL quality at any position in the system that they don't know what to do with it. Change those LHD to 3 RHD and nothing I said changes.

The disappointing thin on the draft is not the picks themselves but they didn't find a way to get more picks (especially in the 2nd round). And that we don't yet have clarity on the course they are going to take moving forward with Miller. I hoped for a trade because it's exciting but I didn't expect one...yet. I think the best offer for Miller this off season comes once a couple teams strike out in free agency.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad