Prospect Info: NHL combine

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Not even Gretzky talked that way as a prospect. How many young prospects do come along talking that way? It makes you sound like you have an ego problem and indeed it could indicate an ego problem. You can't see that?

You already tried to make an argument in which you referenced only fantasy in order to try to make normal behavior into something bizarre instead of just going, yeah, that's not the way he should be talking. Players don't talk like that.

I mean, your argument is what, that we can't hold all prospects to the same standard? Or that we shouldn't be looking for maturity in an interview? OR level-headed doesn't matter? What are you saying? If we see multiple interviews of a prospect talking like this, which is the case with me (I've seen it more than once from him), I can't point it out?

All these prospects come along, some of them become great players for real, almost none of them talk that way, but it doesn't stand out to you?

Holy shit. It doesn’t stand out to me because there’s nothing that stands out in the entire interview.

What am I saying? Really? You can’t wrap your head around it? I’m saying he didn’t say or do anything that the other prospects didn’t do. In fact, I think he sounded more mature than the other prospects. He spoke with conviction, he knew exactly what he was saying, he didn’t stumble over his words. He was clear, concise and confident.

Reactions: lilidk

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Not even Gretzky talked that way as a prospect. How many young prospects do come along talking that way? It makes you sound like you have an ego problem and indeed it could indicate an ego problem. You can't see that?

You already tried to make an argument in which you referenced only fantasy in order to try to make normal behavior into something bizarre instead of just going, yeah, that's not the way he should be talking. Players don't talk like that.

I mean, your argument is what, that we can't hold all prospects to the same standard? Or that we shouldn't be looking for maturity in an interview? OR level-headed doesn't matter? What are you saying? If we see multiple interviews of a prospect talking like this, which is the case with me (I've seen it more than once from him), I can't point it out?

All these prospects come along, some of them become great players for real, almost none of them talk that way, but it doesn't stand out to you?

what are you even talking about?

he was straight up asked what he would bring to an NHL team and said that he was a great 200 foot player that sees the ice well and can see plays develop before they happen

how does that "stand out" compared to lets say Dylan Cozens as a random example where he was asked the exact same question and said that he can make the jump to the NHL right away because of his skating and sees himself as a 2 way center that can play all areas

but nah one guys "cocky" and talks in a way that "nobody ever does" it's not you being biased

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Cozens sounds overconfident, Dach motionless, Zegras, highly intelligent. Zegras not a leader, but great support. Maybe that's why he played with Caulfield and Hughes. We could have great line in the future
Zegras Veleno Zadina
Berggren Rasmussen Kivenmaki

Reactions: hkydave04

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I can see reading the quote in text and thinking something might be up.

But actually watching the video, then doubling down, then incredulously tripling down... Better start looking for that second example you cited DR, cuz you sound ridiculous atm.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Holy ****. It doesn’t stand out to me because there’s nothing that stands out in the entire interview.

What am I saying? Really? You can’t wrap your head around it? I’m saying he didn’t say or do anything that the other prospects didn’t do. In fact, I think he sounded more mature than the other prospects. He spoke with conviction, he knew exactly what he was saying, he didn’t stumble over his words. He was clear, concise and confident.
You're incoherent. That's why nobody can understand you. Don't pretend otherwise.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
You're incoherent. That's why nobody can understand you. Don't pretend otherwise.

Let’s dumb this down and get on the same page.

What specifically does Dach say that makes you question his character this much?

What specifically are you not understanding from my perspective? Other people seem to be agreeing with me, and I haven’t seen anyone echo your thoughts. So, I don’t know if something is getting lost in translation, or if you’ve just dug in your heels and are ready to go down with this sinking ship.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
what are you even talking about?

he was straight up asked what he would bring to an NHL team and said that he was a great 200 foot player that sees the ice well and can see plays develop before they happen

how does that "stand out" compared to lets say Dylan Cozens as a random example where he was asked the exact same question and said that he can make the jump to the NHL right away because of his skating and sees himself as a 2 way center that can play all areas

but nah one guys "cocky" and talks in a way that "nobody ever does" it's not you being biased

It's not the same. You don't hear it because he's the guy who you want Detroit to pick, same with all the other guys pretending not to hear it. Describing your play style is not the same as saying I'm a great this or that. Talking about what you believe helps you make the jump to the NHL is not like calling yourself a great something. We aren't allowed to see that though, because Dach is your favorite.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Let’s dumb this down and get on the same page.

What specifically does Dach say that makes you question his character this much?

What specifically are you not understanding from my perspective? Other people seem to be agreeing with me, and I haven’t seen anyone echo your thoughts. So, I don’t know if something is getting lost in translation, or if you’ve just dug in your heels and are ready to go down with this sinking ship.
Your initial argument was tellingly dumb enough.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Your initial argument was tellingly dumb enough.

Go ahead. Keep going with the insults. You’re doing great.

Who do you like in the draft? I’m assuming Dach is on your “do not draft” list based on all of this, but I’m curious who you like. Is there a prospect who asked for permission to be confident in their abilities that I’m missing?

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
It's not the same. You don't hear it because he's the guy who you want Detroit to pick, same with all the other guys pretending not to hear it. Describing your play style is not the same as saying I'm a great this or that. Talking about what you believe helps you make the jump to the NHL is not like calling yourself a great something. We aren't allowed to see that though, because Dach is your favorite.

Sounds like someone who is truly too lazy to research and come up with an informed opinion, and instead prefers to aggressively defend some anecdotal evidence that they have conjured up.

Or maybe we're all off base, and you'll find that elusive 2nd reason you're calling a teenagers character into question, and you can enlighten us all. Should be able to google it or something.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

Cozens literally said that he thinks that he can make the NHL right away because he excels at skating and it's "the biggest part of the game nowadays"

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Sounds like someone who is truly too lazy to research and come up with an informed opinion, and instead prefers to aggressively defend some anecdotal evidence that they have conjured up.

Or maybe we're all off base, and you'll find that elusive 2nd reason you're calling a teenagers character into question, and you can enlighten us all. Should be able to google it or something.
Right! So, again, nobody is allowed to try to get a sense of the maturity level of a prospect. Not important! Nobody is allowed to take into account personality when it comes to adding a player to the team.

That's the same exact thing they were saying about 10 posts ago and in just about every other post since. You have no idea why I don't agree, either! Just cannot fathom.

All the prospects are teenagers. I mean hello? Teams do not consider these kinds of things when they interview prospects? Who are you kidding?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Right! So, again, nobody is allowed to try to get a sense of the maturity level of a prospect. Not important! Nobody is allowed to take into account personality when it comes to adding a player to the team.

That's the same exact thing they were saying about 10 posts ago and in just about every other post since. You have no idea why I don't agree, either! Just cannot fathom.

All the prospects are teenagers. I mean hello? Teams do not consider these kinds of things when they interview prospects? Who are you kidding?

Give the people what they want. Prove you are correct. Provide more evidence.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's a move that really wouldn't surprise me. A bit of a homerun pick, but if he pans out...Broberg-Trouba top pairing, Cholo-Hronek second pairing...

It's a center draft for us.

Broberg doing anything in combine won't change any things.

Yzerman is gonna trade for a proven defenceman (probably called Jacob Trouba) and is gonna draft forward talent at 1st round.

No reason to dream about anything else, which would be worse and stupid overall building.

Proven defence and young forward talent is the way to go. Short-term and Long-term.

Reactions: lilidk

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005

Well thats a nice laundry list of strawmen you've conjured up to deflect from the question of whether or not you've done any research (beyond 30 seconds), or have any credibility in regards to evaluating Dachs character.

You should probably take a moment to consider the overwhelming feedback you've been given here, and maybe find that elusive second example.

Otherwise you're kinda digging a hole with the way you are choosing your words, ironically.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Good for Blackhawks.

I enjoy this optimism you have of finding a way for Turcotte and/or Byram to fall to #6. We could all use these good vibes. Do you also have Colorado taking Podkolzin and LA taking Newhook?

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Cozens literally said that he thinks that he can make the NHL right away because he excels at skating and it's "the biggest part of the game nowadays"
Admittedly, believing you can make the NHL right away is a lofty aspiration. So lofty that it almost sounds boastful. However if you're asked the question, it's a more subtle way of putting it to preface your answer with " I think." Did he literally say "I think"?

His skating is one of the biggest catalysts for his game, and it is one area where he probably already has a skill level sufficient for the NHL. But yeah! Maybe Cozens didn't put that the best way either. He could have said instead that he takes a lot of pride in his skating or works hard on his skating, and that would have sounded better than just busting out with how his skating is excellent. I don't think that exonerates Dach. It maybe says neither of them have top notch maturity. Maybe if it comes down to Dach or Cozens, then we can say that they are about even in mental maturity. I don't think it will come down to that.

Dach, I think, will be taken before sixth. I'm curious to see what Cozens does at the combine. If his skating shines enough, maybe Detroit has more of a choice between Turcotte and Krebs.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I enjoy this optimism you have of finding a way for Turcotte and/or Byram to fall to #6. We could all use these good vibes. Do you also have Colorado taking Podkolzin and LA taking Newhook?

3-10 is wide open. By all accounts Chicago was ready to take Hayton next year before Arizona did. Hayton and Cozens have quite a few similarities IMO. I wouldn’t act like 3-5 is set by any means personally.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
3-10 is wide open. By all accounts Chicago was ready to take Hayton next year before Arizona did. Hayton and Cozens have quite a few similarities IMO. I wouldn’t act like 3-5 is set by any means personally.

I agree overall, but I’ve been saying Turcotte to Chicago since the lottery. I won’t back off that now.

That being said, I think there’s a better chance of Turcotte being available at 6 than Byram. So you are right, it’s hard to be confident in any particular assumption.

With more and more time passing, I feel like we are getting someone from the USNTDP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad