Prospect Info: NHL combine

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
The problem is you are arguing to the death about some meaningless BS. Grow up and let it go. You are showing far less maturity than these kids at the combine with your obsessive bickering
Who is arguing what to death? One person said he thought it basically sounded arrogant of him and then I agreed with him. If someone makes some cheap, classless attack against me like you just did, I'm going to continue to defend myself. It can stop as soon as you decide to act civilized.

Last edited:

PuckMasterZero

Mar 3, 2019
Who is arguing what to death? One person said he thought it basically sounded arrogant of him and then I agreed with him. If someone makes some cheap, classes attack against me like you just did, I'm going to defend myself.
You have been arguing for multiple days now over some pretty petty stuff. So you are very clearly arguing this point to death. be an adult and move on instead of acting like the child you are so determined to insult. Have a nice day

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
You have been arguing for multiple days now over some pretty petty stuff. So you are very clearly arguing this point to death. be an adult and move on instead of acting like the child you are so determined to insult. Have a nice day
All the Dach Fan Boy Committee has to do is decide to let other people have opinions without incurring their collective rage, and it can end as immediately as care to stop. It didn't have to start in the first place. It's out of my hands.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I am admittedly pretty high on Dach

Watched that clip twice and tried my best to read into it

I can get a little cockiness/ overconfidence/ arrogance out of it, but ultimately I don't understand the debate that has occurred ITT

Also, in professional sports, if you're going to have to deal with either over or under confidence, I'd rather the team deal with overconfident guys and try to rein them in a bit

But again from that clip I am not willing to take this sky high dive of an assumption that Dach's personality is terrible for a team to take on and he has an irreparable ego

No kidding.

Dude, I don't understand this entire thread about it AT ALL. This is the most boring, hockey, Canadian hot take on "cocky" I've seen.

The people here that think Dach has an attitude issue would have their heads explode if they got into the NBA or NFL.

Also, um, hi... Did anyone forget Brett Hull? He was a pretty huge ego and I feel like we did well with him. Of course, Dach is literally a 1/10 on my scientific Hull cockiness scale.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Something about this kid. Has the skill, has the motor, has the personality.

Actually from a style of player, I see a lot of Joe Veleno from last year; narrative as well. On a bad team, his numbers were really suppressed. He held a leadership role with his team. Questions will exist about his offensive ceiling, but appears to be among the best of the character, defense, and skating. I don’t know that the league makes the same mistake this year by letting him fall.

Still all in on him at #6, even if it seems more and more unlikely with each passing day.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

Actually from a style of player, I see a lot of Joe Veleno from last year; narrative as well. On a bad team, his numbers were really suppressed. He held a leadership role with his team. Questions will exist about his offensive ceiling, but appears to be among the best of the character, defense, and skating. I don’t know that the league makes the same mistake this year by letting him fall.

Still all in on him at #6, even if it seems more and more unlikely with each passing day.
Those mock drafts means nothing. I don't understand why him and Newhook are so low. There are only 4 sure picks Hughes,Kakko,Byram , Turcotte and about 10 more could go any way. There are no reason not to take him at 6. Character, leadership, speed, hockey IQ and compete level. I really like that he thinks , he needs to improve his defensive game. Everyone thinks that TWD is must , I believe that TWF as important as first.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
4ce.jpg

What is evening happening in here?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

I have Byram/Dach/Turcotte in their own tier so will be hoping for one of them but beyond that(and this has changed a lot and could easily change again) Krebs would probably be my top choice as well

it's partly due to him and partly due to me becoming less and less high on Cozens over time but honestly i'd rather have Krebs at this point

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Agreed.

Some tests in the NHL combine do seem a little odd. I know Sam Bennett made a lot of headlines but is the pull up test really useful in analyzing a player? Or standing long jump? Or as you mentioned, bench press?

For example, Connor McDavid was middle of the pack on standing long jump, vertical jump, and bench press.
You'd think they were evaluating figure skaters with these exercises. Jumping ability has nothing to do with hockey, and it's not that good of an indicator for skating speed. Larkin didn't place top ten in any of the jumps, and he was the faster skater out of that draft.

Also, if they're gonna do bench presses, it should be max bench press, not 50% weight reps. At least that would give you an indication of how hard the player can cross check.

Even an All-Star game skills competition would be more useful, and probably more enjoyable for the kids.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Those mock drafts means nothing. I don't understand why him and Newhook are so low. There are only 4 sure picks Hughes,Kakko,Byram , Turcotte and about 10 more could go any way. There are no reason not to take him at 6. Character, leadership, speed, hockey IQ and compete level. I really like that he thinks , he needs to improve his defensive game. Everyone thinks that TWD is must , I believe that TWF as important as first.

I don't think Turcotte or Byram are sure fire top 4 picks. I could see either being available at #6 unlike Huges and Kakko.

I think people are just echoing each other with no substance. Nothing is sure fire outside the top 2.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I don't think Turcotte or Byram are sure fire top 4 picks. I could see either being available at #6 unlike Huges and Kakko.

I think people are just echoing each other with no substance. Nothing is sure fire outside the top 2.

What do you estimate the odds of either Turcotte or Byram being available at #6?

Reactions: lilidk

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
More and more, I really want the Red Wings to draft Knight. Move up (trade some 2nd rounders to move up around the 20th to 23rd position), it doesn't matter - he seems like the franchise goalie this team needs. I like what I see from Larsson, but you can't put all your eggs in one basket.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What do you estimate the odds of either Turcotte or Byram being available at #6?

The fact that Chicago is still reportedly considering ~6 players at #3 with the draft only a few weeks away says a lot IMO. Everything after pick 2 is wide open. If the Caufield hype is real and someone takes him 3-5, we are sitting pretty.

Reactions: Zetterbeer

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
The fact that Chicago is still reportedly considering ~6 players at #3 with the draft only a few weeks away says a lot IMO. Everything after pick 2 is wide open. If the Caufield hype is real and someone takes him 3-5, we are sitting pretty.

God I can only hope a team drafting 3-5 plays Russian roulette figuratively, by taking Caufield, and/or literally, by taking Podkolzin.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

Hope they take that Caufiled kid as he is too cocky for our needs.

via the athletic when the Blackhawks asked Caufield why they should draft him:
“You’ll regret it if you don’t,” he said.

:sarcasm:

Reactions: lilidk

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I love how you invent a position for someone that isn't theirs and then have an argument with it, on and on, instead of actually addressing what they are saying.

I mean, honestly, I tell you what I'm saying and you go nope, you're saying this. Is that what you do to pretend to have a point? You just make up in your head what the other person is saying and then try to convince them. That's the definition of a straw man.

I'm not going to oblige you regardless because of the way you've carried yourself from the outset. I don't know where you're from that acting like that gets you the reaction you want but I'm not into it.
That should be a given by now.

Nice projection there guy.

Where I'm from, people have the guts to represent themselves, and they dont resort to juvenile deflections when challenged.

Good luck with your future thread derailing endeavors.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Agreed.

Some tests in the NHL combine do seem a little odd. I know Sam Bennett made a lot of headlines but is the pull up test really useful in analyzing a player? Or standing long jump? Or as you mentioned, bench press?

For example, Connor McDavid was middle of the pack on standing long jump, vertical jump, and bench press.

I think some of those tests can indicate other things though. Say you have a kid whose work ethic is looked down on and he shows up to the combine and was clearly lazy leading up to it to the point hes horrible in every drill... thats something you might be able to use to evaluate what you think he'll be like when he gets a decent pay cheque as well. A guy like Bennett who had a bad shoulder leading up probably just told teams in his interviews why it happened and they didnt really use it as an evaluation tool for him.

All the Dach Fan Boy Committee has to do is decide to let other people have opinions without incurring their collective rage, and it can end as immediately as care to stop. It didn't have to start in the first place. It's out of my hands.

I'm not in the Dach fan boy committee, but your opinion is bad and deserves every ounce of push back its getting. Everybody can have an opinion but when it sucks and has nothing of ubstance to back it up, people are gonna tear it apart

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->