NHL Combine

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
In that Hughes interview Custance did, they talked about how Detroit brought in a drill instructor guy who works for USA hockey. Might have something to do with that.

It's a good strategy, though. Detroit has a lot of players on the same level, so they want to find a way to differentiate them. Pushing them a little harder might help with that.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I don't believe that he is getting measured. Read up a bit for more. I speculate it is advice from his agent.
Oh really, I thought he just wasn't doing the tests. If he doesn't get measured then I'm very suspicious about his size. I still think he has the elite talent to be a great player despite his size but it will make a difference in the defensive side of his game. I do hear he is good positionally and with his stick but a 5'10 170 Quinn Hughes is better than a 5'8 160 Quinn Hughes.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland
Jul 30, 2005
Oh really, I thought he just wasn't doing the tests. If he doesn't get measured then I'm very suspicious about his size. I still think he has the elite talent to be a great player despite his size but it will make a difference in the defensive side of his game. I do hear he is good positionally and with his stick but a 5'10 170 Quinn Hughes is better than a 5'8 160 Quinn Hughes.
Agreed. I think this is going to shoot them in the foot, considering Custance already let it slip that he might be 163. I wonder if they're more worried about height?

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Agreed. I think this is going to shoot them in the foot, considering Custance already let it slip that he might be 163. I wonder if they're more worried about height?
I'd wager his weight, with his low center of gravity if he could get to 185ish you wouldn't have to worry about him getting pushed around that much. But if he's 160 and only going to get to 175ish....not good.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I don;t like the no-testing by Hughes. Dobson just finished The Meml Cup and came in. I wonder if Hughes is much over 150 lbs or has the skeleton to put on 20-30 lbs of weight.

Reactions: schnapshot
Jul 30, 2005
Things are getting confusing. Bouchard has the same agility test time as Dobson? What

Well, almost the same. 4.4 and 4.6 for Dobson, 4.5 and 4.6 for Bouchard. Both in the top 25 right now.

Bouchard is in the top 10 for fatigue index. I don't know what that is. All I know is Joe Veleno is inhuman and completely destroying everyone at it.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
The ONLY reason Hughes wouldnt choose to get measured is because he is tiny.

Fitness, sure he can maybe lie about 6 day rest and being unprepared, mind you I am positive he knew about the test before six days ago just like every other kid there.

That attitude is as poorly reflective of him as a prospect and person that merkleys selfishness is.

Stay away detroit, stay far away

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
The ONLY reason Hughes wouldnt choose to get measured is because he is tiny.

Fitness, sure he can maybe lie about 6 day rest and being unprepared, mind you I am positive he knew about the test before six days ago just like every other kid there.

That attitude is as poorly reflective of him as a prospect and person that merkleys selfishness is.

Stay away detroit, stay far away
Except there is a real chance his agent is telling him not to do this, and he is just following orders. Comparing him to someone who is known to be an issue to the team is just trying to make Hughes look bad.

Jul 30, 2005
Except there is a real chance his agent is telling him not to do this, and he is just following orders. Comparing him to someone who is known to be an issue to the team is just trying to make Hughes look bad.
It doesn't matter who's telling him to do it. They're clearly hiding something. It's common for players not to test, but it's very uncommon to refuse to be measured. That's a huge red flag. They wouldn't refuse to have him measured if they didn't think it could hurt him in some way. Quite the opposite: if he's tall enough and heavy enough, they would want for him to be measured because it would put the questions to rest ahead of the draft.

I'm guessing he's about 5'9 160, and his agent thought it would hurt his draft stock if that got out.

Reactions: NickH8

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Man

When will people stop blaming others for their decisions?

Hughes is his own person. He knows or ought to have known about the combine

If he chooses to not participate then he is choosing to do so intentionally.

I don't like it. Go out there and own and give it your best. Let the scouts know you won' let it define you or limit you. Shows way more character and pride then hiding ever does

Reactions: jkutswings

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Hughes is a kid still, and when you are that young and a person of authority is telling you that they will make you more money, and this is the smart move, you listen to them.

If he was in his 20s I would put this on him more, but hes not.

And its not like these teams dont know how tall or short he is. They meet him in person. They can get an idea of his height. This is just hiding it frkm the fans which means absolutely nothing. If anything if he is shorter than we are told just helps the team that drafts him stretchbthe truth themselves which they like to do with height and weight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad