NHL Combine

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Kind of surprised by how many of these 5’10 or 5’11 centers are already 190 + lbs

Milos Roman - 5’11.75” and 195 lbs (much bigger than I thought)
Alex Khovanov - 5’10.5” and 197 lbs
Jake Wise - 5’10” and 195 lbs
Phillip Kurashev - 5’11.75” and 190 lbs

I would have guessed Dellandrea was bigger than what he measured in at. I’m also assuming that 151 lbs has to be a typo for Joe Veleno.

Also damn Merkley is only 167 lbs... if he bilked up and got his head screwed in right... so much room for potential.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Hughes is a kid still, and when you are that young and a person of authority is telling you that they will make you more money, and this is the smart move, you listen to them.

If he was in his 20s I would put this on him more, but hes not.

And its not like these teams dont know how tall or short he is. They meet him in person. They can get an idea of his height. This is just hiding it frkm the fans which means absolutely nothing. If anything if he is shorter than we are told just helps the team that drafts him stretchbthe truth themselves which they like to do with height and weight.

It's not just a position of authority, it's the player's agent doing his job. If you find out he gave you bad advice, you fire him for it. But, right now, any player should be listening to their agent.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I don’t believe for a second that teams don’t know exactly what size Hughes is. Wouldn’t be surprised if some teams even measured him in the 1 on 1 interviews.

Also about all those dinners, an article said that they’re taking out about two dozen guys in several groups, so they’re not 1 on 1.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
So if I'm looking at this right, Bouchard did just as well as Ty Smith and Noah Dobson at the agility speed test, but really fell behind in what are essentially the lower body strength tests: agility MPH, wingate, the jump tests. Edit: it also occurs to me that Bouchard doing as well on those 2 tests at 195 as the other guys at 175 is a meaningful thing.

I don't know a lot about hockey athletic training, but it comes across like that's fixable. He doesn't have slow feet so much as he needs to squat all summer long.

Unrelated: Dobson has really good lower body strength for such a lanky kid. He's only 6'3 176, but he's up there with guys much more filled out than him, and on basically every lower body test. I wonder what he could do with more muscle on him.

Boqvist as well. That guy is strong AF for being 165.

Last edited:

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Unrelated: Dobson has really good lower body strength for such a lanky kid. He's only 6'3 176, but he's up there with guys much more filled out than him, and on basically every lower body test. I wonder what he could do with more muscle on him.
He has played many games lately. I bet he could be 8-10 lbs more with a couple of weeks off.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I’m also assuming that 151 lbs has to be a typo for Joe Veleno.

31250518_10155803951504864_4133048356768509383_n.jpg

Daniel Darroch wrote to the Hockey Writers:
You have the wrong weight for Veleno. He weighed in at 191, not 151.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Foudy is a guy I was hoping to steal in the third round. Seems unlikely after what he just did at the combine. Is one of the best skaters in this draft class too.

Jul 30, 2005
Foudy is a guy I was hoping to steal in the third round. Seems unlikely after what he just did at the combine. Is one of the best skaters in this draft class too.
I can never figure out what the right way to think about this is: if you have a player who succeeds primarily based on one attribute, do you want to see great combine performance in that area (meaning that he is, indeed, great at that one thing), or do you want to see just okay performance, which means he could get even better?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I can never figure out what the right way to think about this is: if you have a player who succeeds primarily based on one attribute, do you want to see great combine performance in that area (meaning that he is, indeed, great at that one thing), or do you want to see just okay performance, which means he could get even better?

Foudy has ridiculous bloodlines. His mother is a Olympic Sprinter and his father played in the CFL.

He looks like a freak athlete when he plays. The Hunter's also got AA, London seems to find those guys, they usually have a player with wheels. Foudy is a magnificent skater, his other areas are a project, but the kid has great wheels, just like AA.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Not to pile on the dude, but in addition to being a better hockey player... Andrei also seems to be a much better athlete than his bro Evgeny.

That kid is going to be a beastly winger for awhile in the league.

Jul 30, 2005
Foudy has ridiculous bloodlines. His mother is a Olympic Sprinter and his father played in the CFL.

He looks like a freak athlete when he plays. The Hunter's also got AA, London seems to find those guys, they usually have a player with wheels. Foudy is a magnificent skater, his other areas are a project, but the kid has great wheels, just like AA.
When I saw him with London, I saw a lot of Darren Helm. Like when Helm played on a scoring line wing, which is to say I didn't see a ton of skill. Do you think there's more to him? I guess Helm isn't bad upside, it's really just his usage in Detroit that has driven me crazy, historically.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

It’s also pretty crazy how well Serron Noel skates for how big he is, he is just starting to figure things out. Him and K’Andre Miller are great athletes and have a lot of upside.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It’s also pretty crazy how well Serron Noel skates for how big he is, he is just starting to figure things out. Him and K’Andre Miller are great athletes and have a lot of upside.

I am hopeful one of those guys slides to our second pick. I like both a lot.

Cholowski - Dobson
Miller - Hronek

would be fun to watch in my opinion.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
I really like what I've seen from K'Andre Miller as well, big kid with some surprising skill, but I doubt he will be there for the VGK 1st.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Great quote on placing too much emphasis on the combine results:
Ryan Wilson
Pittsburgh Penguins Blogger
"The combine is a place that talks you out of drafting Casey Mittelstadt and into Lawson Crouse."

Reactions: ealong59

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Great quote on placing too much emphasis on the combine results:
Ryan Wilson
Pittsburgh Penguins Blogger
"The combine is a place that talks you out of drafting Casey Mittelstadt and into Lawson Crouse."

they were drafted 2 years apart and lawson crouse's stock didn't improve that much in the combine. iirc, he was ranked top 5 on many/some lists before the combine. it wasn't the combine that made crouse top 10 pick, though it might have hurt mittelstadt's draft position.

but i do agree that the combine doesn't matter that much for the NHL. these kids are just 18.

Reactions: waltdetroit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad