NHL Combine

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
The big things to watch for me will be Hughes height and weight; Boqvist's height, weight and medical exam; and
Bouchard's skating and fitness results.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So who do we think could meaningfully improve their draft stock with a good combine showing?

I don't really care about the test results, only the height/weight measurements really. If Hughes comes in under 5'10", I wonder if he will still get taken in the top 10. I believe that would be the highest a defenseman has ever been drafted at that size.

Reactions: Winger98

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I don't really care about the test results, only the height/weight measurements really. If Hughes comes in under 5'10", I wonder if he will still get taken in the top 10. I believe that would be the highest a defenseman has ever been drafted at that size.

I agree. Height and weight is most important. For some people seeing Bouchard test high in the skating tests might ease some worries, but I doubt NHL teams really care all that much theyve watched these guys play and seen what their game speed is like all year.

Bouchard did very well in the skating tests at the top prospect game, I'm sure thats enough of a justifying the eye test for a lot of teams

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
My thought process was this: if Quinn Hughes still has room to improve physically, there's good reason to believe that he could be even more capable of handling the defensive grind of the NHL. But if he's already very fit, he's probably pretty close to where he'll be as a pro, and we should expect him to struggle a bit with physical battles in the NHL.

And the same deal with Bouchard. If he's got a strong lower body already, what you see is what you get. If it's just okay, you can work with him, and maybe that brings his first few steps up a notch.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I always like the V02 along with the vertical jump and standing long jump in terms of combine tests I pay attention to in particular.

Obviously we get the measurements which is important.

The most important thing here is the face to face meetings and getting to know players on a more personal level for the teams. But in terms of the three tests that really interest me those are listed above. I look at the two jumping tests for explosion. I know they have other tests focusing on that, but I prefer guys that can stand out in both. Pulock was frighteningly great if I remember right, Norris last year had one of the more impressive combines I can remember.

I think Larkin was a V02 star if I remember right. Endurance and will there, but usually the front line players are pretty impressive in this test.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
I always like the V02 along with the vertical jump and standing long jump in terms of combine tests I pay attention to in particular.

Obviously we get the measurements which is important.

I think Larkin was a V02 star if I remember right. Endurance and will there, but usually the front line players are pretty impressive in this test.

Considering Dylan Sadowy was several spots ahead of Larkin in VO2 results in that combine, I wouldn't put too much faith in good VO2 combine results being a future predictor of NHL success.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Considering Dylan Sadowy was several spots ahead of Larkin in VO2 results in that combine, I wouldn't put too much faith in good VO2 combine results being a future predictor of NHL success.

especially since its done riding the stationary bike, where you don't carry the bodyweight in the same way. It gives you good information about general stamina, but in a completely different, cyclic movement pattern

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Is it me, or does the idea of an NHL combine seem a bit silly? I get it in the NFL, where you've often got a tiny sample size for a lot of guys. But it seems like teams have been watching kids play in Juniors for 1-2 years over lots and lots of games. Surely you're not going to learn much more from some non-hockey drills?

Maybe I'm way off, though Frk It's looking at height/weight alone seems similar.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Is it me, or does the idea of an NHL combine seem a bit silly? I get it in the NFL, where you've often got a tiny sample size for a lot of guys. But it seems like teams have been watching kids play in Juniors for 1-2 years over lots and lots of games. Surely you're not going to learn much more from some non-hockey drills?

Maybe I'm way off, though Frk It's looking at height/weight alone seems similar.
I bet teams consider the interviews the most valuable part of the combine.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think the height/weight thing comes from the fact that these guys have likely had their numbers padded by their teams/leagues. Hughes might be listed at 5'10'', but it wouldn't be a huge surprise if he comes in an inch or two shorter than that. And if he does come in at 5'8'' do you still feel comfortable projecting him as a top4 D in the NHL? Because I think that puts a big hit on his stock.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I bet teams consider the interviews the most valuable part of the combine.

Ah, totally fair! Heh, the only non-physical part of a physical skills test outweighs the rest of it.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
There's a post over in the prospects forum combine thread that says the Wings have interviewed Bouchard, Dobson, and Kotkaniemi. Unsure of source.
This article mentions those 3 players specifically, but not specifically that we interviewed them. But also, Ryan Martin says they're meeting with 2 dozen prospects in it.

Red Wings continue due diligence for key draft at Scouting Combine

They'll be taking about two dozen prospects to dinner, a handful each night, to get to know them better.
"We feel pretty confident that in that mix of 24, we're looking at two or three of those first four picks," Martin said.
Possibilities at No. 6 for Detroit include defensemen Evan Bouchard (6-2, 183; London, OHL) and Noah Dobson (6-3, 180; Acadie-Bathurst, QMJHL) and center Jasperi Kotkaniemi (6-2, 188; Assat, Finland).
Detroit's top needs are an offensive-minded right-shooting defenseman with decent size, like Bouchard or Dobson, or a creative center, like Kotkaniemi.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
With the No. 6 pick, there’s little-to-no motivation for the Red Wings to move up and Holland confirmed as much. Rasmus Dahlin is going to go No. 1. The Red Wings don’t expect to get a crack at Andrei Svechnikov, Filip Zadina or Brady Tkachuk, players they like but who don’t fill their preference to draft a defenseman or center with their first pick.
This is the first time I've seen it said authoritatively: the Wings prefer a defenseman or center, even potentially over available wingers.

Also:

“Two of them probably gets you to around pick 18-20,” said the Eastern Conference executive. “If you traded pick 30 and 33, it should get you to around pick 20.”
Do not want. I'd keep 30 and 33.

Reactions: NickH8

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I think the height/weight thing comes from the fact that these guys have likely had their numbers padded by their teams/leagues. Hughes might be listed at 5'10'', but it wouldn't be a huge surprise if he comes in an inch or two shorter than that. And if he does come in at 5'8'' do you still feel comfortable projecting him as a top4 D in the NHL? Because I think that puts a big hit on his stock.
With his skillset I think his weight will be more important, which is, from what I have been told, about 150 lbs sopping wet which you then better hope he can put on 30 pounds of muscle.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Gotta feeling we are moving down from 6 and picking up more picks.

If the Rangers or Hawks are in love with someone and want to throw us another asset great.

I really wish we were trading AA with just one pick to move up, it doesn't sound like that will happen though. Seems they are willing to give AA one last crack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad