NHL Combine

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Gotta feeling we are moving down from 6 and picking up more picks.
Somebody has gotta be willing to pay for it, though. It essentially comes down to 2 factors: (1) can Detroit live without a defenseman if they get another pick? (2) Do Vancouver, Chicago, or NYR have a strong preference for which defenseman of that group they end up with? Strong enough a preference to give up a valuable asset for it?

I just don't see it happening. Vancouver could pay, but they're close enough that they could get a really comparable player. Chicago will be really, really hesitant to give up a 2nd considering they're trying to stock up on cheaper guys to offset their grossly overpaid stars. NYR could be in the mix, but I think this would be the least appealing option for Detroit. They would have to really pony up, because a trade with NYR could mean Detroit is locked out of that elite group of defensemen.

For this to happen, a team is going to have to basically be obsessed with that defenseman. Like if Hughes is there and they think Hughes is substantially better than, say, Dobson. Or vice versa. But it's sorta like the HFBoards rumor section effect: the fact that you are so willing to deal reflects the value of your asset. So if Detroit thinks these guys are similar enough that there's value to be had by moving the pick, it's highly likely that other teams think they're similar, as well, and so they probably won't want to trade up.

Last edited:
Reactions: rhef3

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Somebody has gotta be willing to pay for it, though. It essentially comes down to 2 factors: (1) can Detroit live without a defenseman if they get another pick? (2) Do Vancouver, Chicago, or NYR have a strong preference for which defenseman of that group they end up with? Strong enough a preference to give up a valuable asset for it?

I just don't see it happening. Vancouver could pay, but they're close enough that they could get a really comparable player. Chicago will be really, really hesitant to give up a 2nd considering they're trying to stock up on cheaper guys to offset their grossly overpaid stars. NYR could be in the mix, but I think this would be the least appealing option for Detroit. They would have to really pony up, because a trade with NYR could mean Detroit is locked out of that elite group of defensemen.

For this to happen, a team is going to have to basically be obsessed with that defenseman. Like if Hughes is there and they think Hughes is substantially better than, say, Dobson. Or vice versa. But it's sorta like the HFBoards rumor section effect: the fact that you are so willing to deal reflects the value of your asset. So if Detroit thinks these guys are similar enough that there's value to be had by moving the pick, it's highly likely that other teams think they're similar, as well, and so they probably won't want to trade up.

I will go ahead and say if we trade Hughes to Chicago I am going to be bummed.

I will try to pull it back together, but that would be tough to swallow, only thing worse would be trading him to the Leafs for me.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
In a recent The Athletic article, Holland mentions that he doesn't want to trade down the 6th overall pick, but is listening on the Vegas 1st rounder and the two 2nd rounds to move down.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
This article mentions those 3 players specifically, but not specifically that we interviewed them. But also, Ryan Martin says they're meeting with 2 dozen prospects in it.

Red Wings continue due diligence for key draft at Scouting Combine

The excerpt from this is actually really telling to me by Ryan Martin. Paraphrasing: "In that mix of 24, we are looking at 2 or 3 of the first 4 picks of the draft (for Detroit)."

It sounds like they've already made a decision that they will not be making all 4 picks. Based on the stuff we've heard from Pronman about how draft boards work and that we have 4 in the top 40, it's not unrealistic that we might have 20 names that we are interested in at any of those slots. No reason to believe that they aren't meeting with pretty much every name they have interest in drafting in the first 2 rounds.

Maybe I'm reading into things too much, but I've got the sense that a trade is coming, knowing that they really want to draft and develop and I think this draft is the opportunity to show the fans what these next few years are going to to be all about.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
The excerpt from this is actually really telling to me by Ryan Martin. Paraphrasing: "In that mix of 24, we are looking at 2 or 3 of the first 4 picks of the draft (for Detroit)."

It sounds like they've already made a decision that they will not be making all 4 picks.
That could be, but it could also be that they really like some kids who weren't invited. Thinking of picks like Lindstrom and Bertuzzi, that's completely plausible.

Plus, in the article for The Athletic, it really comes across like the Wings aren't likely to trade up. So unless we're talking about trading picks for established assets, I dunno about that. And considering the Wings aren't exactly flush with cap space, it seems likely we're talking about roster players. Especially if they're considering signing Green, which is another unfortunate detail the The Athletic article drops on us.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Yea, while I fully believe they're exploring that option, I took it as the kids they interview will comprise 2 or 3 of their first 4 picks.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Yea, while I fully believe they're exploring that option, I took it as the kids they interview will comprise 2 or 3 of their first 4 picks.
There are only a limited amount of prospects at the combine too, and the invites are mainly based on Central Scouting's lists. They could easily have someone as a late 1st / early 2nd who wasn't invited, for example Lindström was picked at #38 but I doubt he was at the combine.

I don't like the idea of moving up. There was even an analysis somewhere that concluded how it very rarely benefits the team moving up.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Interesting bit about Mantha, article says he'll likely sign a bridge deal for 2 years, less than $4million. If so that's nice value.
Would rather lock him up long term right now tbh. Mantha is betting on himself to get a fat paycheck after the bridge deal.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Because he is an idiot

If he does this its because he is intentionally trying to ruin the franchise

Just draft, draft and draft as high and as often as we can for the next three years.
That's ridiculous. Maybe he wants a higher quantity of picks. He isn't intentionally ruining the franchise if he does that.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Would rather lock him up long term right now tbh. Mantha is betting on himself to get a fat paycheck after the bridge deal.

if he performs like we think he's capable of, he would deserve it. He has said himself that a bridge deal might make the most sense. he's aware of his problems and ready to take care of them

Btw, i think its interesting how much the NFL and NHL combine differ...

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
if he performs like we think he's capable of, he would deserve it. He has said himself that a bridge deal might make the most sense. he's aware of his problems and ready to take care of them

Of course he would deserve it. That's why I would rather want a cheaper long term deal now rather than a more expensive long term deal after the bridge deal.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
In Craig Custance's Full 60 podcast in his most recent post on The Athletic, during a conversation with Ross Mahoney, Capitals' Assistant GM, Custance kind of let's an interesting tidbit slip on Quinn Hughes. He officially weighed in at 163 at the combine. Curious how that changes perspective around him. He's been billed at 5'10 170-175 on a lot of different sites, and the common belief is that 5'10 is seemingly fairly generous. How substantial is the difference between a 5'10 170-175 player and let's say a 5'8 160-165 player in your opinion?

Reactions: NickH8

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Age can play a big role in that, I think. For one, players develop physically a lot between 18 and 22. You're drafting at 17/18 for the NHL. As a consequence, we don't prize the physical tests nearly as much. In football you're mostly selecting players with college experience at age 22. For most guys, the times they run at 22 is their career peak. The 1st overall this year was 23-years-old. That 1st overall pick (Mayfield) was a walk-on for his college team. If Mayfield was in a draft at age 18, nobody would have taken him.

There are always a handful of players that can succeed immediately at the NHL level, sometimes I do wish the average draft age was older. Not only would the road to the NHL be 1-2 years instead of 4-5, but it would increase the certainty teams were getting the right player.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
In Craig Custance's Full 60 podcast in his most recent post on The Athletic, during a conversation with Ross Mahoney, Capitals' Assistant GM, Custance kind of let's an interesting tidbit slip on Quinn Hughes. He officially weighed in at 163 at the combine. Curious how that changes perspective around him. He's been billed at 5'10 170-175 on a lot of different sites, and the common belief is that 5'10 is seemingly fairly generous. How substantial is the difference between a 5'10 170-175 player and let's say a 5'8 160-165 player in your opinion?
I wouldn't be comfortable taking a guy that's my size and has a few pounds on me. But idk he's really good at hockey and the game might be conducive to his play style and size now, so I wouldn't complain about it.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
163 is downright small for a defender. I'm sure we'll hear a lot about him bulking up and hitting the weights, but yeah, it's small. Small enough he would be a statistically outlier if he became a 3 phase defender in the NHL.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

The height and weight measurements will take place on Saturday, and will be posted on twitter. So we will see exactly where he is at then.

I have heard concerns that him and his brothers have "slight" builds. Not sure how true it is, and I think it's tough to guess how much weight/strength gain teenagers will make as they get older.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
If he is that good already at 163 lbs, just image how good he will be in a couple of years when he gets stronger.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
The height and weight measurements will take place on Saturday, and will be posted on twitter. So we will see exactly where he is at then.

I have heard concerns that him and his brothers have "slight" builds. Not sure how true it is, and I think it's tough to guess how much weight/strength gain teenagers will make as they get older.
I'd be asking about the stature of both sides of his family in an interview if they don't already know. While it's something you can never accurately estimate, I think you can still guess fairly well.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I don't know, he could always hit a growth spurt and bulk up, but I'd prefer having 5'10 170 to work off of than 5'9 160. I would rather go for one of the bigger (as in not tiny) defensemen like Bouchard or Dobson instead of the smaller weaker ones, because a reality of the game is you need to have some size to be a truly elite defender, but what do I know? I just watch YouTube videos and read about them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad