NHL.com sucks, right?

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
So is it not just my computer that is messed up? Can't get anything to load half the time and when it does, there is a black screen even though it says "Viewing".....

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
It's absolutely horrendous. I'm convinced it's a plot by former NBA Commish Trojan Horse Bettingman to drive fans AWAY from the NHL.

Actually, I think you might not be that far off. Bettman doesn't want to drive fans away from the NHL, but maybe he's not that interested in a web presence. Follow the money...

NHL.com probably doesn't generate much revenues. On the other hand, TV deals still do. So the NHL actually wants to drive people away from the web and towards their TV screens.

Hence the putrid website, local blackouts on game center and overall poor online offer.

They should just put their pants on and make the TV networks accept the fact that a real web presence is necessary.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
NHL fans "The NHL website sucks"

NHL "Lets put our online Standings page as the standings on our app because everyone loves our website"

Aliceanna

Tom Wilson - Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 12, 2011
ATL
NHL fans "The NHL website sucks"

NHL "Lets put our online Standings page as the standings on our app because everyone loves our website"

This is what bugs me! I stopped using the website ages ago, but the app still had legible standings you could see without scrolling. Now, they've brought the multi-dimensional scroll to the app, which is infuriating!

Who told them anyone EVER wants to scroll horizontally on mobile?!?! If you wanted the extended standings, you turn your phone, BOOM, there they are! If you don't, no worries.

Plus, as happened on the desktop site, when they switched to multi-dimensional scrolling, all the boxes got bigger, so even to see the basic categories, like, GP, Points, and ROW, you now have to horizontally scroll, as well as vertically scroll. BUT WAIT! It's only by section! So, if you're in Division view, and you scroll vertically too far, the number columns don't match up!

It's absurd.

Reactions: Faterson

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Funny how the new auto-play ads on every page always manage to play in HD, but their videos of y'know, hockey, are pixelated garbage. Spread those bum cheeks open further NHL, I dare you.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Website is pure trash.

Thescore app for quick reference.
Hockeydb for drafts or pkayer stats.

NHL website blows just like the NFL website eats a**.

How can they both be so s*****?

Last edited by a moderator:

Martin Elz

Jun 17, 2009
Ängelholm
Did they cut the funds for the video department? The last 10 days the replays have been unwatchable. I'm watching via DTMTS and they had to blur the first screen because some idiot at NHL.com decided to put the score on it. But its barely buffering. The quality is low. The replays take hours and hours to be uploaded after the game. I wont even get into whats wrong with the rest of the site, its been well documented in previous comments.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
It's weird because I used to think (several years ago) that NHL.com was the best website out of North American sports leagues, and somehow they then progressed in the wrong direction.

Reactions: Kiorei

Kiorei

Jan 22, 2014
Denton, Texas
It's weird because I used to think (several years ago) that NHL.com was the best website out of North American sports leagues, and somehow they then progressed in the wrong direction.

My theory is that it's made almost entirely for Tablets & Phones now, they purposely don't even test desktops or laptops anymore even though that's what they develop on . What's weird is that website development is supposed to be dynamic and should work well on all devices no matter what you use. I guess the interns that made the NFL/NHL sites forgot about it. lol

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Did they cut the funds for the video department? The last 10 days the replays have been unwatchable. I'm watching via DTMTS and they had to blur the first screen because some idiot at NHL.com decided to put the score on it. But its barely buffering. The quality is low. The replays take hours and hours to be uploaded after the game. I wont even get into whats wrong with the rest of the site, its been well documented in previous comments.
I noticed this too. :laugh:

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
It is terrible. Even worse, when I watch games on nhl.tv, every single commercial break shows me the same replay montage add telling me to visit nhl.com. I am not going to and forcing me to see the same add like 30 times everytime I watch a game is not going to change that. I really miss seeing a silent screen saying commercial break.

Reactions: Faterson

Hockey Joe

Dec 18, 2007
Montreal

Highlights are on Youtube: youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1NbHSfosBuHInmjsLcBuqeSV256FqlOO

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
DTMTS has changed to have a small hint to the score since most games now have winning commentary. Earlier it was always home team commentary (unless there was a national one)

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
I don't understand how the web page can load so slow. i have 1Gb fiber, and its as if i have 56k dial-up.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
The NHL stats page is the worst. I can't even figure out what stats are under which section or tab they have. There was a thread about secondary assists and when I went to the site I couldn't even find secondary assists after they redid everything.

On a side note, why do people still use hockeydb over hockeyreference? I get it if you're looking for prospect stats but for NHL players hockeyreference has so much more information for players and teams and it's all really simple to navigate.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
On a side note, why do people still use hockeydb over hockeyreference? I get it if you're looking for prospect stats but for NHL players hockeyreference has so much more information for players and teams and it's all really simple to navigate.

I like hockeyDB because of the simplicity. Its like the anti-bloat site. Im so tired of bloated-app-made for tablet garbage and this is a throwback to me.

Ive gotten lost on that site for hours at a time just following drafts, and seeing where trades ended up, just clicking after clicking. Its great.

Ive never actually been to hockey reference but Ill check it out. Just love HockeyDB.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I like hockeyDB because of the simplicity. Its like the anti-bloat site. Im so tired of bloated-app-made for tablet garbage and this is a throwback to me.

Ive gotten lost on that site for hours at a time just following drafts, and seeing where trades ended up, just clicking after clicking. Its great.

Ive never actually been to hockey reference but Ill check it out. Just love HockeyDB.
I prefer hockeyreference because it has a very similar look from the start but then continues to expand on more and more stats. Starts like DB where there's a player search bar at the top followed by a short bio and then to career stats but instead of just the basic stats it lists a little more and then the more you scroll the more in depth the numbers get including Corsi and zone starts and at the bottom of the page it breaks down any top 10 finishes they have in various stats. The team pages are the same, very in depth but simple. It also loads really easily in a phone or tablet and only the career stats are shown until you click an arrow (no page loading needed) to bring down additional stats. The only time I ever use DB is for prospects because Reference doesn't show AHL, Euro, or junior stats for prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad