NHL.com Best Dmen of the Expansion Era

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
The 4 cups argument is lame considering Leetch would also have 4 playing on those teams. No, Leetch doesn't have 7 Norris Trophies because he didn't play on stacked teams his entire career. Quite the opposite after he turned 28, unfortunately. You need to play on good teams in order to even be considered for the Norris and no Defenseman in NHL history, Paul Coffey aside, has played on more good teams than Nicklas Lidstrom.

Great teams + Weak Defenseman Era equaled a bunch of Norris Trophies for Lidstrom. Sorry, but that's how I feel about it. I think he's overrated based on the eye test and watching him play and certainly would never take him over a prime Leetch who could take over games by himself.

Consider the competition Leetch had for his 2 Norris wins. Now examine Lidstrom's competition. It's a night and day difference. So it's not all about "how many". Competition level has to be weighed heavily too and Lidstrom did not win 1 Norris Trophy during the best Era for Defensemen ever while Leetch won 2. In fact, Lidstrom did not win anything until he was 30 years old. By the time Leetch was 30, he had already won pretty much every major award you can name. This is why Peak Leetch>Peak Lidstrom.

You don't hit your "peak" after age 30, sorry. This to me really exposes, more than anything, that a large portion of Lidstrom's success can be attributed to other great Defensemen getting old and retiring more so than him being this "dominant force". If he was truly the 2nd best Defenseman ever, or whatever overrated spot you want to put him at, he'd have dominated against the very best. But he didn't. He "dominated" against a much weaker crop of Defensemen. Still a great achivement, no doubt. And in that Era, he was arguably "the best". But in the Era before that, he wasn't. That's why he's not Top 5, in my opinion.

No, what's lame is pretending Leetch could easily replace Lidstrom then when he was bleeding goals for his own team and missing the playoffs year after year. Why should anyone believe you based on what actually happened?

If Leetch could "take over games himself" then what happened during those 7 years when they missed the playoffs? Why didn't he take over more games then and, I don't know...make the playoffs once?

Lidstrom didn't really have a peak because he was so good for so long. As I stated before, he was the best defenseman in the game in '98. Should have won the Norris over Blake and had a Conn Smythe worthy playoff run. He was 28 then, not 30, and it's not like he didn't win a Cup the year before and completely proved himself as a shutdown guy, helped his team to a 62 win season before that, and helped them to the finals before that. He was underrated at the time because they had Coffey and hard hitting Konstantinov taking the attention. Once those guys were out of the way everyone started to realize how great he really was and the accolades came with it.

You keep talking about how stacked the Wings were but that didn't prevent the coaches from playing Lidstrom the most in the league in '01, '02, and '03 when he won his first 3 Norris'. That's how heavily they relied on him and there were always more PK minutes than PP minutes, unlike Leetch. Does that register with you at all? He played on a stacked team but still played the most in the league? Does that sound like someone who is easily replaceable to you?

You can talk about Lidstrom not starting off as quickly as Leetch but in the end who finished on top? Did you watch Lidstrom hoist the Cup as captain in '08 year after Leetch had already retired? I think you know the answer to this.

Bryce Newman

Jan 4, 2021
No, what's lame is pretending Leetch could easily replace Lidstrom then when he was bleeding goals for his own team and missing the playoffs year after year. Why should anyone believe you based on what actually happened?

If Leetch could "take over games himself" then what happened during those 7 years when they missed the playoffs? Why didn't he take over more games then and, I don't know...make the playoffs once?

Lidstrom didn't really have a peak because he was so good for so long. As I stated before, he was the best defenseman in the game in '98. Should have won the Norris over Blake and had a Conn Smythe worthy playoff run. He was 28 then, not 30, and it's not like he didn't win a Cup the year before and completely proved himself as a shutdown guy, helped his team to a 62 win season before that, and helped them to the finals before that. He was underrated at the time because they had Coffey and hard hitting Konstantinov taking the attention. Once those guys were out of the way everyone started to realize how great he really was and the accolades came with it.

You keep talking about how stacked the Wings were but that didn't prevent the coaches from playing Lidstrom the most in the league in '01, '02, and '03 when he won his first 3 Norris'. That's how heavily they relied on him and there were always more PK minutes than PP minutes, unlike Leetch. Does that register with you at all? He played on a stacked team but still played the most in the league? Does that sound like someone who is easily replaceable to you?

You can talk about Lidstrom not starting off as quickly as Leetch but in the end who finished on top? Did you watch Lidstrom hoist the Cup as captain in '08 year after Leetch had already retired? I think you know the answer to this.

Tired of trying to explain the concept of being a great player on a terrible team. As great as Leetch was, no player could do anything with those 98-04 teams. You just don't "get it", and it's tiresome trying to explain it to you. I'll say it one more time: Your boy Lidstrom would not have done any better on those teams and he would not be racking up Norris wins playing for the Rangers from 98-04.

It doesn't matter how Lidstrom finished. So because he hoisted the cup in 08 on yet another stacked team I should pick him over prime Leetch? LOL yeah right. Not happening. I'm a huge "peak" guy and nobody tops peak Leetch, and Lidstrom winning a cup at the end of his career doesn't change that.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
He was 100% the MAIN reason the Oilers and Flyers made it to the Cup. And he was a big part of the Ducks success. Not sure if you want to go there, considering that during his entire career Lidstrom was surrounded by elite talent...

Yzerman
Shanahan
Fedorov
Datsyuk
Zetterberg
Chelios
Larionov
Fetisov
Kozlov
etc.

The only other defenseman in modern history who was surrounded by that much talent was Coffey on the Oilers, Pens, and... oh... Red Wings.

Throughout the large majority of his career, a guy like Bourque had Neely, then a little Oates and Janney. On the Oilers and Flyers, Pronger had Hemsky, Peca, Richards, Carter, etc. No comparison. Lidstrom had the wonderful fortune of spending his career on a powerhouse team(s) that always had high-end star power.

I personally thought Pronger was at his best during the Oilers run because he appeared to be focused more on playing and was more disciplined but come on, it was a cinderella story. Roloson was amazing up until he got injured, Pisani looked like a 50 goal scorer and they had guys like Peca, Hemsky, Samsonov, step up big. Pronger and Roloson were the main reason but there was lots of help, too. Switch Roloson with Legace and I don't see the Oilers having a shot at getting out of the 1st round. The Wings outshot the Oilers 238-155 in that 6 games series. Legace choked (.884 sv%) and Roloson stole the series (0.929 sv%).

The Flyers had lots of good players too and it was a great fit to bring in Pronger with the other players they already had there. The Ducks won two games without Pronger in the lineup cause he couldn't help himself and just had to elbow guys in the head. I watched him on good Blues teams and they could never get over the hump. He wasn't a one man show but he proved that having a dominant defenseman like that could really help a team that didn't have one (Oilers and Flyers moreso than Niedermayer's Ducks, of course).

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
Tired of trying to explain the concept of being a great player on a terrible team. As great as Leetch was, no player could do anything with those 98-04 teams. You just don't "get it", and it's tiresome trying to explain it to you. I'll say it one more time: Your boy Lidstrom would not have done any better on those teams and he would not be racking up Norris wins playing for the Rangers from 98-04.

It doesn't matter how Lidstrom finished. So because he hoisted the cup in 08 on yet another stacked team I should pick him over prime Leetch? LOL yeah right. Not happening. I'm a huge "peak" guy and nobody tops peak Leetch, and Lidstrom winning a cup at the end of his career doesn't change that.

2008 wasn't the end of Lidstrom's career just so you know. He was the captain and leader and reigning Norris winner. He wasn't just some guy on a stacked team. The team literally took on his personality in a lot of ways. For the most part they played a disciplined puck possession game with great team defense. Lidstrom's your guy if you want your team to follow that game plan.

No, you want to shield Leetch from all responsibility for his teams failures over 7 seasons when he was captain and the best player on the team. It starts at the top and you don't seem to get that.

Let's face it, you're a "peak guy" because that's your only angle here. Leetch was such a one man force in '94 that he should be compared with Orr but by '98 his team dragged him down for the next 7 years. Not his fault whatsover and he could easily replace Lidstrom and Detroit wouldn't miss a beat. Sounds realistic to me.

Reactions: Another AZ

Bryce Newman

Jan 4, 2021
2008 wasn't the end of Lidstrom's career just so you know. He was the captain and leader and reigning Norris winner. He wasn't just some guy on a stacked team. The team literally took on his personality in a lot of ways. For the most part they played a disciplined puck possession game with great team defense. Lidstrom's your guy if you want your team to follow that game plan.

No, you want to shield Leetch from all responsibility for his teams failures over 7 seasons when he was captain and the best player on the team. It starts at the top and you don't seem to get that.

Let's face it, you're a "peak guy" because that's your only angle here. Leetch was such a one man force in '94 that he should be compared with Orr but by '98 his team dragged him down for the next 7 years. Not his fault whatsover and he could easily replace Lidstrom and Detroit wouldn't miss a beat. Sounds realistic to me.

About as realistic as Lidstrom leading the 98-04 Rangers to glory with his "stable presence".

Face the facts: Replace Leetch with Lidstrom and the 94 Rangers don't win that cup. With that established, why on Earth would you think the Wings wouldn't win with Leetch replacing Lidstrom?

Logic 101.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
In their primes, Pronger is top 5 and that's being conservative. Orr, Pronger and Karlsson in their primes were dominant in ways no one on this list were.

They weren't just the best player, they were forces that dragged teams single handedly, sometimes kicking and screaming, to winning.

If we're talking in their primes those 3 players are too low.

Reactions: Leafshater67

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
I can't believe a few folks are trying to argue Leetch > Lidstrom. Leetch started out better, but Lidstrom aged much better.

It's weird, Lidstrom should receive a ton of credit of winning another cup and finals appearance without the likes of Yzerman, Fedorov, and Shanahan. The fact that he won another cup without these guys, plus Hasek and Chelios not in their prime, is a huge plus. Obviously those wings teams were stacked, but Lidstrom is one of the reasons why they were stacked.

Leetch at his peak is better, but not so much better that makes up against Lidston's prime.

Reactions: ORHawksFan

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
About as realistic as Lidstrom leading the 98-04 Rangers to glory with his "stable presence".

Face the facts: Replace Leetch with Lidstrom and the 94 Rangers don't win that cup. With that established, why on Earth would you think the Wings wouldn't win with Leetch replacing Lidstrom?

Logic 101.

Nothing has been established other than your fantasy that Leetch will always be '94 Leetch no matter what the stats or team results say. He will continue to escape any criticism for captaining and leading a team that couldn't make the playoffs for 7 years. Not only escape criticism but let's compare him to the games best defenseman and pretend he was his equal the whole time!

Why would the Red Wings want to replace Lidstrom with anyone when they went 937-422-127-78 in the regular season and 153-110 in the playoffs with him in the lineup over his 20 year career?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I'm a Wings fan too but Bourque definitely has a case as well. I don't necessarily always agree with it but he was consistently great for such a long time and often didn't have great support. If you are asking for a defender to anchor your blueline for 20 years you can't go wrong with either so they're 2a and 2b/3 or whatever to me behind Orr.

Borque was a great defender, but the biggest argument for him over Lidstrom was his ability to put up points. But, his prime was the 80s/early 90s where even enforcers could put up nearly 70 points.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
I simultaneously feel that this discussion has gone around in a ridiculous circle for far too long, and at the same time that there’s an interesting unholy alliance forming between the Canadian old school-mentality Pronger camp and the Leetch highlight reel crew to thwart Lidström’s consensus spot ahead of their boys.

Now, the way to go about this is to embellish their respective best cases against Lidström freely and to avoid entering the impossibilities of the Leetch boy/Pronger guy-marriage.
You cannot let this deteriorate into a threeway chase where Leetch boy calling Lidström’s Norris competition the weakest ever preemptively disintegrates the alliance, nor can we delve too far into what Pronger guy really feels about Leetch’s defense, physicality and leadership, lest this alliance is destined to fail having barely caused a dent in the opposition.

Alas, Lidström’s Army is a formidable opponent. Stand your ground, Lidström lads, rest assured your hero’s case is impenetrable.

Leetch boy threw some quotes praising his defense at you? Your man was literally called The Perfect Human. Sidney Crosby called him the best defenseman he’s faced, “bar none”. Bobby Orr said that he’d have things he’d try to learn from him if they were teammates, and that all defensemen who doesn’t try to emulate Lidström’s game should feel ashamed. They’re talking about playoffs? How about never missing them in two full decades and winning four cups, being credited as an unsung hero for shutting down all of Brett Hull, Selänne/Kariya, Sakic/Forsberg, and the Legion of Doom in 1997, being a Conn Smythe favorite in 1998, winning it on one of the greatest teams of all time in 2002 and being the first European captain to lead his team all the way in 2008 — something everyone agreed was simply impossible.

He could send his partner out on adventures while nailing the fundamentals down, however he could also put up gaudy totals while being defense-first. He could care less about passing arbitrary eye tests, he was what he was and what he was was an all-time great in a tier with a select few others, and none of whom are named Pronger or Leetch.

Last edited:

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
I simultaneously feel that this discussion has gone around in a ridiculous circle for far too long, and at the same time that there’s an interesting unholy alliance forming between the Canadian old school-mentality Pronger camp and the Leetch highlight reel crew to thwart Lidström’s consensus spot ahead of their boys.

Now, the way to go about this is to embellish their respective best cases against Lidström freely and to avoid entering the impossibilities of the Leetch boy/Pronger guy-marriage.
You cannot let this deteriorate into a threeway chase where Leetch boy calling Lidström’s Norris competition the weakest ever preemptively disintegrates the alliance, nor can we delve too far into what Pronger guy really feels about Leetch’s defense, physicality and leadership, lest this alliance is destined to fail having barely caused a dent in the opposition.

Alas, Lidström’s Army is a formidable opponent. Stand your ground, Lidström lads, rest assured your hero’s case is impenetrable.

Leetch boy threw some quotes praising his defense at you? Your man was literally called The Perfect Human. Sidney Crosby called him the best defenseman he’s faced, “bar none”. Bobby Orr said that he’d have things he’d try to learn from him if they were teammates, and that all defensemen who doesn’t try to emulate Lidström’s game should feel ashamed. They’re talking about playoffs? How about never missing them in two full decades and winning four cups, being credited as an unsung hero for shutting down all of Brett Hull, Selänne/Kariya, Sakic/Forsberg, and the Legion of Doom in 1997, being a Conn Smythe favorite in 1998, winning it on one of the greatest teams of all time in 2002 and being the first European captain to lead his team all the way in 2008 — something everyone agreed was simply impossible.

He could send his partner out on adventures while nailing the fundamentals down, however he could also put up gaudy totals while being defense-first. He could care less about passing arbitrary eye tests, he was what he was and what he was was an all-time great in a tier with a select few others, and none of whom are named Pronger or Leetch.
This might be the perfect post, hf doesn't deserve you.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Bryce Newman

Jan 4, 2021
Lidstrom was a fantastic Defenseman. Model of consistency (on stacked teams but that's ok) and a true stable presence (zzzzzz...snort...zzzzzzzz). Not very physical for his size, but great at breaking up 2 on 1's and very sound technically. (zzzzzz...oh sorry, fell asleep again)

But lets not pretend he ever reached Leetch 92 to 97 levels. Let's not pretend he was at any point in his career the 102 point juggernaut Leetch was in 92, the 34 playoff point juggernaut Leetch was in 94, or the World Cup juggernaut Leetch was in 96.

You wanna say Lidstrom had a better career? Knock yourself out. But no version of Lidstrom touches 92 to 97 Leetch. That guy was being compared to Bobby Orr. Lidstrom, for all his Norris wins (in a weak era), never was.

All I'm saying.

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
You wanna say Lidstrom had a better career? Knock yourself out. But no version of Lidstrom touches 92 to 97 Leetch. That guy was being compared to Bobby Orr. Lidstrom, for all his Norris wins (in a weak era), never was.

All I'm saying.

LOL, did Leetch win multiple art rosses? did he hit multiple 30 goal seasons and a 40 goal seasons? 6 straight 100 point seasons? 3 harts? a +124? lead the league in assists?

Leetch was great, but he wasn't close to Orr, not at all. If he was, he wouldn't lose any norris trophies in his prime.

Bryce Newman

Jan 4, 2021
LOL, did Leetch win multiple art rosses? did he hit multiple 30 goal seasons and a 40 goal seasons? 6 straight 100 point seasons? 3 harts? a +124? lead the league in assists?

Leetch was great, but he wasn't close to Orr, not at all. If he was, he wouldn't lose any norris trophies in his prime.

Different era with a lot more competition. 90s had the best crop of Defenseman ever. Not saying Leetch had the career Orr did, but it is a fact he was being compared to him during that time period.

Orr came in at the perfect time. In 1968, 75% of the league was hot trash. Not saying Orr wasn't dominant, but let's keep it in perspective.

Anyway, Orr is not the point here. Point is Leetch had one of the highest peaks ever and reached levels Lidstrom never did. Lidstrom is primarily known for longevity and consistency. But there are a number of Defensemen who, at the best, were better than him. For that reason, I have him in my Top 10, but not Top 5.

Last edited:

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
Different era with a lot more competition. 90s had the best crop of Defenseman ever. Not saying Leetch had the career Orr did, but it is a fact he was being compared to him during that time period.

Orr came in at the perfect time. In 1968, 75% of the league was hot trash. Not saying Orr wasn't dominant, but let's keep it in perspective.

Alright, that's fair. I do also agree that the era Leetch played in was the best among the defenseman. There were many high level #1 dman. But for Leetch, was he really compared to Orr? When I started watching hockey, Leetch was no longer in his prime, but I just can't see it. Was it because of his 94 playoff run? Which of course was among the best ever, but that's the only way I can see him being compared at the time.

True, Orr's era wasn't that good. While he would dominate any era, I do agree the level of players compared to late 60-mid 70s against late 80-mid 90s was night and day.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
Borque was a great defender, but the biggest argument for him over Lidstrom was his ability to put up points. But, his prime was the 80s/early 90s where even enforcers could put up nearly 70 points.

That's not really true. If we view adjusted stats based on league scoring rates Bourque and peak Leetch do have a slight edge on Lidstrom offensively. I don't see that as a given that they were better players or had a better peak though. Lidstrom was a special player and you'd probably have to watch him as much as us Wings fans did to truly understand and appreciate what he meant to the team game to game. He was a huge cog in a machine that won so much and that's more important than scoring a few more points over the course of a season. Lidstrom could have jumped up in the play and put more points on the board too but that wasn't his style and simply wasn't what his team needed from him to win. It was better to have that 30 minute guy who never got caught up ice and Bowman hated when his defenseman jumped up and got caught. No one can argue that it didn't work considering he was literally involved in winnning more games than any other player in NHL history.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008
Lidstrom was a fantastic Defenseman. Model of consistency (on stacked teams but that's ok) and a true stable presence (zzzzzz...snort...zzzzzzzz). Not very physical for his size, but great at breaking up 2 on 1's and very sound technically. (zzzzzz...oh sorry, fell asleep again)

But lets not pretend he ever reached Leetch 92 to 97 levels. Let's not pretend he was at any point in his career the 102 point juggernaut Leetch was in 92, the 34 playoff point juggernaut Leetch was in 94, or the World Cup juggernaut Leetch was in 96.

All I'm saying.

Which Rangers play by play guy compared Leetch to Orr? As great as Leetch was he was no Orr so there was some hyperbole in that comment.

If we're going to discuss what people have said about players, how could anyone top Bowman muttering "he's about the perfect player" when talking about Lidstrom winning the Conn Smythe in '02. This happeneed as Bowman celebrated the Cup win after announcing he was retiring after coaching countless all-time greats and watching the NHL since he sat in the stands watching the Habs from the 50's practice at the Montreal Forum. Of course no one is literally perfect and neither was Lidstrom but that's high praise from someone like Bowman.

danincanada

Feb 11, 2008

Anyway, Orr is not the point here. Point is Leetch had one of the highest peaks ever and reached levels Lidstrom never did. Lidstrom is primarily known for longevity and consistency. But there are a number of Defensemen who, at the best, were better than him. For that reason, I have him in my Top 10, but not Top 5.

What makes you so certain Leetch peaked higher? His GF/GA numbers are best in '92 and '94 but Lidstrom has several seasons with similar ratios. Or were those Rangers teams also just not as stacked as Lidstrom's Wings teams?

It's give and take when it comes to offense/defense and Leetch jumped up in the play far more so of course he scored a few more points if that's the reason for you thinking his peak was higher. It also meant he got caught up ice more and needed Beukeboom with him. The famous Richter penalty shot save on Bure, for instance, happened because Leetch went deep into the Canucks zone, then turned over the puck, and had to pull down Bure. That shows a lack of awareness to me because Bure is the last guy you hand a breakaway to like that. Maybe Leetch was the right guy for that Rangers team in that era but I would still take prime Lidstrom over "peak Leetch" on those Detroit teams because they ended up building their team and system around him and with the results no one can claim another defenseman would have done it better.

Either way, I don't see ranking Leetch higher as a justifiable position if we look at full careers and I'm not sure why we wouldn't look at full careers when comparing retired players where we have the option to review their whole careers.

Bryce Newman

Jan 4, 2021
What makes you so certain Leetch peaked higher? His GF/GA numbers are best in '92 and '94 but Lidstrom has several seasons with similar ratios. Or were those Rangers teams also just not as stacked as Lidstrom's Wings teams?

It's give and take when it comes to offense/defense and Leetch jumped up in the play far more so of course he scored a few more points if that's the reason for you thinking his peak was higher. It also meant he got caught up ice more and needed Beukeboom with him. The famous Richter penalty shot save on Bure, for instance, happened because Leetch went deep into the Canucks zone, then turned over the puck, and had to pull down Bure. That shows a lack of awareness to me because Bure is the last guy you hand a breakaway to like that. Maybe Leetch was the right guy for that Rangers team in that era but I would still take prime Lidstrom over "peak Leetch" on those Detroit teams because they ended up building their team and system around him and with the results no one can claim another defenseman would have done it better.

Either way, I don't see ranking Leetch higher as a justifiable position if we look at full careers and I'm not sure why we wouldn't look at full careers when comparing retired players where we have the option to review their whole careers.

Rangers were down 2-1 so of course Leetch was taking some chances. Bure was probably the most dangerous player in the game at that time, no matter who was on the ice. Leetch was phenominal that playoff both ends of the ice and Pat Quinn, Canucks coach at the time, stated that not even Bobby Orr or Denis Potvin were as good at breaking up a play or steering the puck the other way. That is a far cry from your assessment of Leetch's defensive play.

GF/GA is a team statistic that's pretty irrelevant to the conversation. You're assuming that if Lidstrom were on those Ranger teams his GF wouldn't be a high but his GA would be better, when it's just as if not more than likely that his GA would be around the same as Leetch's was but his GF would be far less. During that time period, Leetch's defensive play was fantastic and his offense was signifigantly better than Lidstrom's was.

Also you saying Lidstrom played in a more "systematic" type of role only further demonstrates that he was more replaceable than a player like Leetch. He did his job well, but if you're playing within a system that's a lot easier to do than scoring 102 points in a season or scoring 34 points in one playoff year while playing great defense. Those achievements are historic. Lidstrom playing well within a system for many years is great and all, but it's not historic.

The fact is that Lidstrom never scored 102 points or 34 points in a playoff year because he couldn't. Not because he was playing within a system and just "didn't want to" as you're trying to imply. Leetch's defense at his best matched Lidstrom's but the difference is Leetch was able to also able to maintain a high octane offense at the same time. Lidstrom, as great and consistent as he was, was never able to do both at the same time on the level of prime Leetch.

But yeah, I get it. You have to keep knocking Leetch's defense because it's the only way to make a case for Lidstrom matching Leetch's peak. But there's plenty of documentation from NHL coaches and Leetch's peers from that time period though which prove that not only was Leetch's defense far from bad, it was actually very, very good. And with Leetch's insane offensive levels at that time, and it being established he played good defense too? Forget it. There really is no case for prime Lidstrom matching prime Leetch. There's no case for anyone matching Leetch's peak, aside from maybe Orr.

if you're still not convinced, ask yourself this: What would be easier? Leetch to go the Wings and play within a defensive system? Or Lidstrom to go to the Rangers and score 102 points in a season/score 34 points in one playoff year? Which one is more likely to achieve their goal? The obvious answer is it is far more likely Leetch would adapt and play well in Bowman's defensive system than it would be for Lidstrom to go to the Rangers and set records. Heck, Leetch was already playing very good defense in a non-defensive system. So I'm sure he'd transition just fine under Bowman.

Maybe Leetch wouldn't play as well as Lidstrom in that role, but he wouldn't need to in order for those Wing teams to still win. Lidstrom, however, would need to reach Leetch's skill level for a team such as the 94 Rangers or the 96 Team USA squad to win. And he would not be able to. This is the main crux of the argument for people who don't rank Lidstrom as high as you do, and it's a very legitimate argument.

Lidstrom did his job very well and I give him props for a fantastic career, but he was not as irreplaceable as prime Leetch, who was an exceptionally rare talent. I know you want to believe those Wing teams wouldn't have won without Lidstrom, and yes they'd need to find a good Defenseman to replace him. But it could be done. If those Wing teams could find a Defenseman who played at 75% Lidstrom levels, they'd still win cups.

But with Leetch? There was no replacing him. You couldn't. The teams he was on that won needed every ounce of his greatness to win. There was no "just find a good Defenseman to replace him and you're all set!" because that just wouldn't cut it.

Nobody in the league at that time could fill his skates, or do what he did. Nobody.

Last edited:

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
There's no case for anyone matching Leetch's peak, aside from maybe Orr.

In the span of three years, Bobby Orr won an Art Ross trophy, two Conn Smythe trophies, three consecutive Hart trophies, three consecutive Norris trophies, and he was named as a top five defensive defenseman in a survey of the NHL's coaches.

And he "maybe" matched Leetch's peak? As in, there's some doubt?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
In their primes, Pronger is top 5 and that's being conservative. Orr, Pronger and Karlsson in their primes were dominant in ways no one on this list were.

They weren't just the best player, they were forces that dragged teams single handedly, sometimes kicking and screaming, to winning.

If we're talking in their primes those 3 players are too low.

Bourque's 1989-90 season is better than any season of Erik Karlsson.

Bryce Newman

Jan 4, 2021
In the span of three years, Bobby Orr won an Art Ross trophy, two Conn Smythe trophies, three consecutive Hart trophies, three consecutive Norris trophies, and he was named as a top five defensive defenseman in a survey of the NHL's coaches.

And he "maybe" matched Leetch's peak? As in, there's some doubt?

Again, different Era buddy. Orr's league was 75% crap so of course he was going to dominate.

And by "peak" I wasn't referring to "3 year span".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad