NHL Center Ice

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I would like to restate this question, except about NHL Game Center Live.

Not sure yet, but after last year's experience, GCL is just not worth it as a Rangers fan. At least it wasn't for me. Too many nationally televised games. If you gets NBCSN and NHL-N anyway, then it might be fine, but to me the whole point of GCL was to not get cable.

I also had an issue where I often get home from work within 20 minutes of the game ending, but on GCL, they take the game down for 2 hours while they edit out the commercials for replay. I can't be just starting to watch a game at 11:30-midnight all the time.

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012
Does any of you live in the NYC area and uses VPN or similar to get around the blackout with that?

I just started using HockeyStreams as they don't do that. I did not see their quality yet when it comes to NHL games, but AHL and KHL looked pretty nice and the cost is a bit less than GCL (especially if a VPN is needed).

Doctor King Schultz

Garian Maborik
May 3, 2012
NYC
As far as Center Ice and GCL go, if say the Blackhawks are playing the Flames on NBC Sports Network and the Rangers are playing the Penguins at the same time with both being shown on the NBC Sports Network at the same time depending on where you live,

Will the Blackhawks Flames game will blacked out on Game Center Live since its technically being broadcasted on a national network, even though the game wouldn't be on in New York?

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
As far as Center Ice and GCL go, if say the Blackhawks are playing the Flames on NBC Sports Network and the Rangers are playing the Penguins at the same time with both being shown on the NBC Sports Network at the same time depending on where you live,

Will the Blackhawks Flames game will blacked out on Game Center Live since its technically being broadcasted on a national network, even though the game wouldn't be on in New York?

I believe so.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Not sure yet, but after last year's experience, GCL is just not worth it as a Rangers fan. At least it wasn't for me. Too many nationally televised games. If you gets NBCSN and NHL-N anyway, then it might be fine, but to me the whole point of GCL was to not get cable.

I also had an issue where I often get home from work within 20 minutes of the game ending, but on GCL, they take the game down for 2 hours while they edit out the commercials for replay. I can't be just starting to watch a game at 11:30-midnight all the time.

I do not have cable, correct. So you are saying that games on NBCSN and NHL-N are not available on GCL, and therefore there may be a bunch of games I don't get anyway?

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012
If I understand correctly you could VPN to Europe or similar for the start of the stream and then watch. NYC is a tough GCL market it seems.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I do not have cable, correct. So you are saying that games on NBCSN and NHL-N are not available on GCL, and therefore there may be a bunch of games I don't get anyway?

Yeah, if games are nationally telecast (NBC, NBC Sports, NHL Network) then they're blacked out on Game Center Live.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'll just have to find them elsewhere.

:naughty:

Yup. In the GDTs here, Loffen (or whoever makes the thread) usually has a bunch of links to free streams. HF stopped enforcing the "no illegal streams" policy a couple years ago, so we can all post links to whatever is working.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Yeah, if games are nationally telecast (NBC, NBC Sports, NHL Network) then they're blacked out on Game Center Live.

Plus if you live in another hockey market, they blackout games that are broadcast locally as well. I.e., I live in Pittsburgh and any time they play the Pens (home or away) and it's on ROOT Sports, GCL is blacked out.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
also interested re:CBC/HNIC and black-out on Center Ice in US..

From what I remember, games that were on HNIC were usually also shown on NHL-N in the US, so they were blacked out.

I do NOT remember ever having a game blacked out that wasn't on NHL-N, NBC or NBCSN. It was either on one of those 3 or on my computer. I'm 99% certain of this.

member 116805

Any fellow Scandinavians know if it will be avaliable here this season?

ThisYearsModel

Mar 4, 2004

This is the problem with GCL. The Rangers are on NHLN a lot, thus not on GCL. The smart thing would be to run the NHLN games on GCL too. The NBCSN games can usually be watched streaming on their site, like the Notre Dame games can.

charlie460

Stone Age Hockey
Nov 25, 2011
Norway
Yeah, last year NHL Network US simulcasted the first HNIC telecast on Saturdays, so, they would be blacked out in the US as well.

charlie460

Stone Age Hockey
Nov 25, 2011
Norway
This is the problem with GCL. The Rangers are on NHLN a lot, thus not on GCL. The smart thing would be to run the NHLN games on GCL too. The NBCSN games can usually be watched streaming on their site, like the Notre Dame games can.

NBCSN games weren't streamed last year, only NBC games.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
$50 is a completley fair price for GCL.

Shouldn't demand things for free or think we deserve it free, don't be entitled like the players were, which is why we're in this mess to begin with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad